Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Jacking Up the Corvette question!

Rcurry23

Corvette
1999 Torch Red Coupe
I just bought a 99 C5 last Friday, and was checking out all the gauges and stuff, and notice my oil life says 19%. So I was thinking about changing the oil myself, but I have a question about doing it. First off, when I was looking for a Vette, I looked at a 97 and a 98. But I had noticed something on both of them. On the passengers side, where the front of the door meets the front fender, the body line caught my eye. At the top the door and fender almost touched, and at the bottom they were about 3/8"-1/2" gap between the two. Is this due to jacking it up wrong? The 99 I bought isn't like that, nor do I want to jack it up wrong and do it. Most of the DIY oil changes I've read, you drive up on low profil ramps, then jack from the rear crossmember about 6-8 inches above the front. Is that the best way?

Most of the DIY oil changes I've read, you drive up on low profil ramps, then jack from the rear crossmember about 6-8 inches above the front. Is that the best way?
That's essentially correct, but I'd be careful about jacking the rear higher than the front. Once you lift the rear wheels off the ground there is nothing keeping the car from rolling - setting the parking brake or parking in gear only locks the rear wheels.

That's essentially correct, but I'd be careful about jacking the rear higher than the front. Once you lift the rear wheels off the ground there is nothing keeping the car from rolling - setting the parking brake or parking in gear only locks the rear wheels.

So what do you suggest doing, or is there a better way of changing the oil besides going to the dealer? I called them yeasterday and they want like $92 to do an oil change. If I have to I will take it to them, but if not I'll do it myself.

The car only has to be level - that's how it would be on a lift at the dealer. If you have a sloping driveway, you can do what I do. I back the car into the garage and then set the ramps on the downhill slope. I drive forward onto the ramps, and because they are on a down slope, the car ends up level.

You can do it as you described... just use wheel chocks on the front and be careful.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom