Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

jet chip and moduals

vette-c4

Corvette
1995 Dark Red Matalick coupe
I have been asking opinions on other forums about chips for my 95 with magnaflows and K&N,cut lid and Bosh III injectors. I was considering the jet stage 2 for $228. Some that chips are a waste of money, I am not talking about the $60 ones on Ebay I can see them being a waste. What do you think?

The question you need to ask, is what am I getting for the money? I'm not familiar with the products you are referring to. I quit looking for cheap power adders about 10 years ago. Compared to a custom tune this may be a bargain, but a custom tune will also be night and day. I'm not sure how much is to gain on your motor with your mods. I'm sure there is hp to find.

I've found that the "over the counter" tunes, have to be completely safe for all engines. This means the advantage for each particular application is lacking. You will probably get cooling fan temperature turn on set point changes.

I have been asking opinions on other forums about chips for my 95 with magnaflows and K&N,cut lid and Bosh III injectors. I was considering the jet stage 2 for $228. Some that chips are a waste of money, I am not talking about the $60 ones on Ebay I can see them being a waste. What do you think?

I agree with the previous reply....OTC chips/tuning is generic at best. Every engine is different and the generic chips must be emissions compliant, safe to operate and able to run all applications.
One size does not fit all in this case.

A generic chip to manage fans/cooling temps with some mild advance is about all that you get, no matter who the mfg is. Beware marketing claims. They cannot know what the ambient temp is, what your fuel is like, or the general condition of your engine and its accessories...so how can they offer a valid "performance chip" when there are so many unknowns?

A custom tune gets expensive but its worth the money if you;ve already spent the money on lots of parts. For parts to make HP the car has to be tuned to the parts...its a Catch-22 situation.

With what you have done, I would not do it yet. If you do a custom tune now, its becomes worthless as soon as you add or change another engine part.
The custom tune/chip is made for an engine as it is that day. Change things and it has to be tuned again.

Custom Chip Cheeper one $160.00 full custom $350.00.

I had a Jet Chip in my 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Q Cab waste of money, I sold it on E-Bay.

If you motor moded you may need to change the chip or get the car programed.

Exhaust, Heads, Cam, Larger injectors, Thats Why I had to get a Custom chip made for my C4.

Oh Ya I the guy that you told you'r Vett will out run my Vett that has 340 to 360 HP and 420 + TQ You just mite out run me but I did not build a race car just rebuilding the car for the fun of it also to empty out my bank account give me lots of headachs LOL.

Don't get mad just trying to save you some money you could put into something that will give you more power.:W

If you want to purchased a program for your lap top you can due your own programing.

Here a link: TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software

I don't belive It will work on my 86 Vett but it mite work on your newwer Vett.

Plus I just wanted plug and play type chip My needed a Chip so the car would run with my mods that are done to it.

Out of curiosity, is there tuner software available for the 1986 Vette?

I have not seen any yet then again I real have not dug very deep to find one for my 86.

I just had a chip burned for my mods.

Yep, sure is. There are several choices. To log, you can use datamaster. Free download for the first 20 scans, then pay. You need a cable that plugs into your ALDL connector then to a laptop. You can use TunerPro to create tunes, use flash n burn to then write these to a flash IC device. In order for this all to work, the ECM needs to be slightly modified.

The modification is easy, it just allows the ability to easily change tunes. They also now are selling emulators, I'm thinking of buying one soon. This would plug into the ECM where your current prom is, then would store the new tune information.

Until the final tune was complete this device would remain and allow easy changes.

Check out tuner pro, moates.net, and datamaster through google.

I don't belive It will work on my 86 Vett
Tuner Pro will work on 'any 85 + engine that had a removable chip in the computer.
Late LT1's ('94+ ) with inbuilt flash memory require different software

Vette C-4,

Don't read this as a testimonial or an advertisement... but for the sake of letting you know... there are experienced folks who can help you data log and then provide programming changes if you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself.

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

I have never worked with this guy, but he's pretty good from what I understand. Lots of folks with other LT1 cars (Fbodies, Bbodies, swaps, etc) have had good experiences with Solomon.

FWIW- He's got a couple swaps on his page that he's tuned... such as an LT1 powered Porsche 944.
http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/rides/

Regardless- good luck with your search for more power!

Vette C-4,

Don't read this as a testimonial or an advertisement... but for the sake of letting you know... there are experienced folks who can help you data log and then provide programming changes if you are uncomfortable with doing it yourself.

LT1 PCM Tuning - Welcome!

I have never worked with this guy, but he's pretty good from what I understand. Lots of folks with other LT1 cars (Fbodies, Bbodies, swaps, etc) have had good experiences with Solomon.

FWIW- He's got a couple swaps on his page that he's tuned... such as an LT1 powered Porsche 944.
LT1 PCM Tuning - Featured Rides Tuned Here

Regardless- good luck with your search for more power!
Thank you I will be getting in touch with him soon

jet chip stage2

i actually have on my 91 l98 vette this chip installed, i installed this after trying out my other mods and i can tell you that i felt a light difference after the chip, i dont know about other members experiences, but personaly i wont regret this invesment!!!

and about reprogramming im not aware if 91 and earliers models can be reprogramed with stock chips, it gets even hard to get it scanned, but if you find someone that can actually reprogram ur vette it would be better than the chip, cause it would be totally custom!!!

hope this to be helpfull!!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom