Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken's Engine Project... Part III - 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
I know, I know... It went into the shop on June 9th.

But as I've stated before, I want it done right! ;shrug

I just got off the phone with Chris from CWW, and he tells me that the interior wiring is finished, the gauges only need to be connected, the main engine harness is complete, and he's down to just the wiring for the engine management system, i.e., tying-in the system's wiring for the fuel injectors, the fuel pumps, the fans, etc..

If all goes well and he doesn't have a problem with the Tec3, I might have it back Monday or Tuesday. Then it's back to work for me. :J

I've got a lot of work to do yet, all in the interior. Well, except for finding that power steering leak and fixing that. :L

This thread was once again split on July 25, 2003. To view previous phases of this thread, see: My Engine Project: Part I and My Engine Project: Part II. :CAC

I'm bored!

I can't do anything with my Corvette, or even take pictures of my car, unless I want to drive ninety miles one-way. :(

Therefore, I took some pictures of a few of the screens for the TEC3 engine management system I'll be running. Man, do I have a lot of learning to do!

The opening menu:
01_startscreen.JPG

The menu after opening my calibration file:
02_calcscreen.JPG

The Wizard screen:
03_wizscreen.JPG

I can use the TEC3 for a 3-stage rev limiter:
04_revlimiterscreen.JPG

The analog/digital control screens:
05_andigscreen.JPG

06_ancontrolscreen.JPG

A/D Input controls with GPO (General Purpose Output) duty trim:
07_gposcreen.JPG

A/D Speed Input controls with Speed gauge:
08_speedscreen.JPG

Controls for the various sensors:
09_sensorscreen.JPG

Fuel enrichment:
10_fuelenrichscreen.JPG

Cylinder trim:
11_cyltrimscreen.JPG

TPS/MAP acceleration enrichment screen:
12_tpsmapaccelscreen.JPG

As stated, I have a lot of learning to do! These are only a few of the many screens. I have about 33 pictures that I actually took, but I got tired of workin' on them. :L

No, no, Mic. The thread has been split three times now, and it takes too long to open them anymore, so I didn't want to have to respond to the others. I saw your addition of the photo, and your fine comments. Thanks for the compliments and for showing it off to your friends. :cool

_ken :CAC

no prob bro thats some awesome work! if i didn't like the digital's of the 87 i'd be tempted to change over. i am looking at possibly doing this for my 82 Z/28 cause we don't have many choices. either go with an Iroc cluster that goes to 145mph or go after market and i'm sorta leaning to after market but i'm planning wayyy ahead at this time but it's nice to dream about it :)

I have tried to read thru the other two threads, they are more like bridge cables:L what I get is you are redoing a job that was not done to your satisfaction. In my experiance I have found if I "just do it myself" most of the time it is done correct and I don't have to do it over. I have heard about your car from Tom and it is indeed impressive. I will post some sort of reply to part 3 so I can keep up with it. good luck

One step closer to the edge!!!

:J
CCW_loaded_leaving.JPG

I always forget, and so did my brother today, to take pictures until it's too late. I should have used the opportunity to snap a couple of shots of the new dash and wiring but I forgot until it was already loaded and locked on the trailer. :duh

Not to worry though, I will be taking a lot more pictures as it goes back together now, and as the floors are being patched of course.

I also already have the microphone packed in with my laptop, ready to grab some sounds when I get it fired again, and the CamCorder battery is charged and ready as well. ;)

Speaking of laptop tuning, I plugged it in today just to verify there was a connection, and I am simply amazed at what I will be able to do as far as tuning it with a laptop - this ain't no scanner! :L

But oh my, do I have a lot of learning to do. :eyerole

Maybe, if things go right and I can get some assistance, it'll be running in a few days, and I can take it to my Vette club meeting Thursday, and Ruby's on Friday! :cool

_ken :J

At least I was able to get it home...

HomeAgain_02.JPG

Now my truck is giving me a "Check Engine Soon" light! It came on while I was trailering the Vette from the storage area, bringing it home today. I had a clue that something was amiss, because yesterday when I got back to the storage area and was just idling through the lot, with a very light pressure on the gas pedal, it seemed to me it was surging a little. The same thing happened last year when I stopped to visit Steve (P-Cola Vette) in the panhandle of Florida. It that case, we took it to Autozone (I think) and checked the code, cleared it and it never returned until now, that is if it's the same code - I haven't checked it with a scanner yet. I'll check it tomorrow if I can find a scanner to use; I can't afford to pay anybody, the Vette has been hammering me! :L

The truck is running fine as of now though. :confused

Tomorrow I'll get busy and hopefully have the Vette running before the end of the week. Then it's time to go cruisin'. ;)

_ken :J

Just a few shots of the new dash with all gauges in place and connected, as well as the new computer:

afterwiring_01.JPG

afterwiring_02.JPG

afterwiring_03.JPG

afterwiring_05.JPG

I'm gonna love playing around with this I think (as soon as I learn how :L):
afterwiring_04.JPG

The little toggle switch to the left of the TEC3 is the switch to start the data logging when I make a pass.

These are the dollies that make it easy to move the car around in its tight confines:
afterwiring_09.JPG

_ken :v

I like the Dash Ken.. Looking Good!!!!!!!

Man that is somethin!Got alot of time there!Simply put awsesome!!!

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the comments. :upthumbs

hotrodd said:
Got alot of time there!

That is an understatement if I ever heard one! Man, and I'm gettin' way too old for this stuff too, evidently. After tinkering with that thing all day yesterday, standing and bending mostly, my ass was draggin' at the end of the day! This morning I felt like I was beat with baseball bats again! Sometimes I wonder if I really should have quit drinking, sometimes it seems the cure is worse than the disease. You don't hurt when you're drunk! :cry

Today I think we got the seat brackets figured out, and an idea for a heat shield of sorts for the fuel surge tank. I've still gotta run the mechanical gauges and fab a pedal stop for the clutch, but we're getting closer all the time. I wonder if I ever will get to the end? :L

_ken :w

if you was still drinking you would be sitting in your garage looking at the pile of parts and wondering "how am I going to do this"
take it one part at a time, one day at a time
Craig sr

bossvette said:
if you was still drinking you would be sitting in your garage looking at the pile of parts and wondering "how am I going to do this"

You know me, eh Craig? ;LOL

My poor Harley sat in milk crates for about ten years, while I cried into my beer about someday getting off my ass and getting it done. Meanwhile I had another beer. :eyerole

poor me, poor me, pour me another one :(

I still have those days when I wonder if I will ever get a project done and when I reach a point where I am having trouble doing something or it gets too much I just walk away from it for a day or so and come back refreshed.
Your engine project is a major accomplishment that many people would not even attempt. Once it is on the road again enjoy it for a while before you try to get it perfect (put some miles on it)

ps drive out to Indiana/Ohio and have lunch with us

Tom's been tryin' to get me back there for a couple of years now. I get close, but no cigar. ;)

_ken :w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom