Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken's Engine Project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I just got back from my mechanics (both of 'em) and it looks like the Vette will be ready for me tomorrow. Everything seems to be copacetic and ready to roll. The only thing he was still working on was the speedometer connection to the dash; the new harness wasn't designed for that digital piece of crap, so even though I have the speedo connection at the transmission, there is no connection to the dash. I told him that would be the least of my concerns because I would just be caravaning with you guys at BG, and wouldn't be concerned with how fast I was going, or if I was speeding, but he's working on it. ;)

We don't need no stinking speedometer anyway right? :L

The leak as it turns out is oil and it appears to be coming from one of the extra fittings on the oil pan. Tightening the plug should solve that problem.

We changed the oil and filter at my other mechanic's shop in the truck today too, so as soon as the fuel tank is installed (tomorrow at 9 am) I'll be ready to hit it. (The road that is ;))

_ken :bu

Dont need no stinkin speedo :L I would miss thumping the top of the dash though:bang .

Glad to here its coming together. I'll cancel my flight:L

Dave
:w

Ken,

Call Dakota digital for help on the speedo. You will most likely need to put one of their adapters between the two, then set the calibration pins. I have done it before. We can talk it over a Vanilla Coke at Sharkfest.

Ken said:
Well... I just got back from my mechanics (both of 'em) and it looks like the Vette will be ready for me tomorrow. Everything seems to be copacetic and ready to roll. The only thing he was still working on was the speedometer connection to the dash; the new harness wasn't designed for that digital piece of crap, so even though I have the speedo connection at the transmission, there is no connection to the dash. I told him that would be the least of my concerns because I would just be caravaning with you guys at BG, and wouldn't be concerned with how fast I was going, or if I was speeding, but he's working on it. ;)

We don't need no stinking speedometer anyway right? :L

The leak as it turns out is oil and it appears to be coming from one of the extra fittings on the oil pan. Tightening the plug should solve that problem.

We changed the oil and filter at my other mechanic's shop in the truck today too, so as soon as the fuel tank is installed (tomorrow at 9 am) I'll be ready to hit it. (The road that is ;))

_ken :bu

did they use the Stock VSS for the speedo? if so all you need to do is run the 2 wires from the VSS to the corresponding connections on the digital cluster.

I think that's what he was doing Jeff. I ain't gonna embarrass myself here any more than I have to, but it's a little over my head, as far as hearing the explanation and then relaying that information to someone else. ;)

Whatever it takes is what I always say! :D

_ken :w

Great to hear your going to be road ready, and on time too!:L

Now if we can get Chris to stop tearing his car apart.:nono

I have it back; it's in my garage on the battery charger now. :eyerole

The battery has been run dead once too many times I think because it didn't hold a charge in the time it took me to come home (10-15 miles). The alternator was charging at a little below 14v, but I noticed when I started it the charge rate was low and came up slowly, which could indicate that the battery voltage stored is pretty low, eh?

It still either needs to learn my driving habits or there's still some "tweeking" to do because it ain't running "right" yet. It wants to get up and haul ass, but it doesn't like traffic too much; it's not very "civil" anymore. Sometimes I wonder just why I ever did such a thing, but then... ;)

Whatever. At least I have it back. I'll get everything loaded tomorrow and be ready to hit the road come Thursday morning. The truck is having its second fuel tank installed as I type this; that was the last item on that list.

I doubt if I'll even take it off the trailer at Monterey if it ain't running to my liking yet. I'll wait until I get to Bowling Green and y'all can help me "tweek" it. ;)

Take a deep breath, relax... :D

_ken :w

It still either needs to learn my driving habits or there's still some "tweeking" to do because it ain't running "right" yet. It wants to get up and haul ass, but it doesn't like traffic too much; it's not very "civil" anymore. Sometimes I wonder just why I ever did such a thing, but then...

That thought has crossed my mind several times recently.

Good luck on your trip.

J. :w

Ken,

I will bring my scanner to Sharkfest. Call Terry at TPis one more time and ask him what numbers he expects your system to run (tps volts, O2 WOT, etc. ) and we will give it a run!

I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I went down to the garage after a couple of hours charging the battery and now the starter won't engage. I give up. As I've already stated, it'll be a Bowling Green come hell or high water, but it may not be running right, if at all!

_ken Why me? :cry

Ken

So do you have the undersized pullies in the beast?

And how old is your batt?

The proper Avg rpm ( stock ) for charging is about 1,800rpm.

I assume the Alt is new...but didn't you get an after market one...Mean green or something like that?

LET ME KNOW! Here to help!

Vig!

The alternator is charging, but you know as well as I that if you run a battery dead too many times it just won't hold a charge anymore. At any rate, that's the least of my concerns, I gotta get the starter working first. If I didn't have the winch in the trailer I wouldn't even be able to load it unless I push-started the car.

I know one is supposed to think positively, but I'm beginning to think that this trip is postively going to hell in a handbag from the start. I don't think I'm going to even hook up with those guys from up north because I don't want to be an Albatross or something. This **** is bound to rub off!

Why do I even bother?

So does that mean......

a) Your buying a new batt now and installing it tonight?

b) I'm putting it off till tomorow when I can think clearly.

c) Logging on to Recycler.com to the cars for sale area and posting an add

d) Drinking heavily

e) All of the above

f) None of the above

So let me see if I get this... your back to the No start thing..... the FIRST problem????

Vig!

No, it's not that thing again. Totally unrelated.

And the answer is:
b) I'm putting it off till tomorow when I can think clearly.

I know that everyone is having a good laugh on me and thinking what a fool I must be.

Not Laughing here

Wishing you luck.......'

All good things take time, If they didn't everybody would do it.

Vig!

I don't think anyone is laughing at you Ken. Most are like me and just want to hear that it is finally running right and is the baddest C4 on the road. Like any old car somtimes installing new components will show up other things that are ready to fail that you didn't know about. With all of the high tech stuff you are using it is a complicated swap and I'm not suprised that it is taking some time to sort out. Hang in there. It's only a matter of time before it comes around.

One thing this project has done for me is that I would think long and hard before ever converting one of my older projects to a computer controlled engine. I have no patients with technology that don't tech.

Tom

Ken,

Okay, I know how you feel. Hang in there. I am bringing some tools, and don't mind slinging them with you at BG. Just get it there!

Have a safe trip, see you soon.

Chris

Ken,

I'm sure nobody is laughing, at least half of us want that beast running almost as much as you do bud.

We feel you pain brother.

Rick

NOT LAUGHING

I know you don't wanna hear it, but ain't nobody laughing at you. As a WISE man said to me a little while back in the Solid Axle Lounge when I was near the breaking point with my electrical problem of 5 months, constantly losing spark on the side of the road with every electric component brand new, "Hey, if we didn't LOVE it, we wouldn't do it." You need ANYTHING, you got my #'s, CALL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom