Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ken's Engine Project...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:L Sometimes maybe I should open my mouth and say it; I looked around and sure enough it was ROSS PISTONS, I was going to say "Ross", but I thought that maybe the dress commercial had worked its way in my subconcious. :L

I had never heard of Ross before today.

_ken :w

I don't know about "heaven" but you sure as "hell" can't take it with you. :L

if its an ambulance, you got a chance. If its a hearse, its gotta be worse.

Ken said:

I had never heard of Ross before today.

Where you been hiding Bro? Under a rock? :eyerole And I thought you knew everything about hot rod parts. :crazy

Tom

59Tom said:
Where you been hiding Bro? Under a rock? :eyerole And I thought you knew everything about hot rod parts. :crazy
Tom

:eek: Ya loin sumpin new ebry day. ;)

:J Man, what an opportunity that just presented itself! :J

I just got off the phone with Jimmy, my bodyman, and he tells me of a crashed ZR-1 that the owner is selling for probably seven-eight grand. The car may be crashed, but the engine and trans are intact.

This sheds a whole new light on my engine project. I could go this route with an LT5 and six-speed and have maybe have the only C4 that has done this swap. Has anybody else ever done it or read about someone doing it?

It should be relatively simple, eh? But we DO know how that goes. :eyerole

Let me know whatcha think. ;)

I WOULD LOOK INTO IT

By getting the whole car you should have all the pieces necessary. I have never seen another early C4 ZR1.

Tom

Big Job

Not that I would not tackle such a thing, but I think this would be quite the big job to convert and switch everything over. It would be a blast, and nobody would expect it.

The other thought is, which end of the ZR is damaged? Maybe you could take it to the next level and graft the ZR rear clip and doors to your car, switch the motor, and bam, looks like, drives, feels like a ZR with the wrong dash.

I think I would stick to hogging out the stock style block and go with a more conventional way of pumping the ponies.

Yeah, I sent a message to Hib asking his advice as well, and the concensus seems to be "forget it", and I am inclined to agree. I don't need the headaches.

Cool opportunity though, I still may look at it to see what's there. Anybody interested in ZR-1 parts? ;)

IGNITION CHOICES...

My builder recommends D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition) for my ignition source.

We'll be installing an upgraded ignition of course when we do the engine, complete from the distributor to the wires and plugs. We'll also use a DUI Rev Limiter, the MSD Soft Touch Rev Control or something similar, although I can't see mixing and matching ignition components.

I've heard and read of D.U.I. before, but has anyone had experience here? Is it a good choice?

If it don't have points I don't own it. I have heard and read good things about the DUI system too. Saw one on a car at a show last summer but that's all I know.

Now, which way is it to the 21st century?

Tom

Engine project !

Ken, First let me say Hi !:) I just read thru all the pages of your thread, and If I may, I would like to comment on a few things ? O.K., 1; I am currently running a DUI distributor in my "poor man's Boss " 351 cleveland, and the quality and craftmanship is unparelled. I went with the DUI for a couple of reasons, mainly it tidied up the underhood area of my '69 cougar, by giving me the complete ignition in one package. When I ordered the distributor, I talked to a live person, who took all the specs of my engine components, and then curved the distributor to my specefic engine/trans/gearing in the car. I installed that dist. over 6 years ago, and she light's off every time. Secondly, that is a high compression engine, at roughly 14:1, and that DUI dist. puts a hot enough spark in it to keep it from detonateing or dieseling, which I had problems with when the engine first went in ! Third, I like to be different from the crowd, and everybody and there brother have mallory uni-lite's or MSD ignitions ! O.K. now on to the heart of your engine dilema, and that is the engine ! Something I have learned by racing and being around small block Fords, There IS NO substitute for cubic inches ! Get all of the 'cubes you can in your rebuild. Somebody hit on the actual most important thing of all though, and that is your car's electronic's, i.e computer ! You definitely don't want to get too exotic, as then your car becomes a hangar queen, needing so much prep. and support, and towing, that it just isn;t enjoyable any more. I think to deal with somebody locally, such as the individual you were describing is best, but have you asked him what he could if you started with, say, a ligenfelter short/long block ? Lastly, of the many schools of thought here, do you really want eye candy when you raise the hood, or would you prefer that it looks neat and tidy, but runs like a NASA engineer built it ? I would say, look at your typical trips/usage of the car, and go for a middle ground in the power plant department ! :cool Of course, it's your car, and your money, however in the projects like this that I have witnessed/been a part of, inevitably, life interupts with sometimes small financial "problems" to full blown financial catastrophe's, so just because I had thirty or forty grand, I wouldn't put it all in the motor. Another thought is, did you happen to ask any of those super builders, (Ligenfelter/Gouldstand et al) if they had a development engine with just a few test stand hours on that they might sell at a reduced rate ? Something to ponder, Steve. Oh, I apologize for the great length, however, if you chose wisely, not only will you get many miles of smiles, the project could be completed and installed quicker than imagined ! One of my motto's is ; Work Smarter, Not Harder. Also; Nothing Beats A Failure but A Try ! Steve-out.

Engine Build !

It's me again Ken ! With one last thought ! Which is this. If you do decide to throttle back ( no pun intended ! ) on your fantasy engine, you would be able to go with the 6 spd as well. Most importantly, you need to keep in mind, all the horse power in the world will not move the car an inch if the rest of your drivetrain isn't up to the level of your engine. Usually most people forget that. I can't tell you how many young kids have brought thier cars in to my buddies shop with 300+ hp engines to put in thier mustangs, only to be back the next week because they tore up something else in the drive train. My mentor in things mechanical also imparted this little jewel, which has saved my life a time or two.... All the engine in the world ain't worth two cents if you can't steer it or STOP it ! Steve.

Thanks for the feedback on D.U.I. Steve.

P-ColaVette said:
...do you really want eye candy when you raise the hood, or would you prefer that it looks neat and tidy, but runs like a NASA engineer built it?

Man, you and my builder think very much alike; I gotta print this out and show him. ;)

He keeps bringing me back to reality when I start going too far. You're both right; I don't need all the flash, I just need the grunt, and the accompanying rush from the adrenaline surge when I nail it. :L

Seriously though, I am going to shoot for the "middle-ground" and try to keep it reliable as well as powerful, but it will be a "big" small block. We'll probably wind up with 420-421ci with a 400 block (I forget the overbore he specified) and 6" rods.

The computer IS an issue that I will have to address. I'm leaning towards asking TPIS. Any suggestions for reprogrammers, or manufacturers?

I have already upgraded my braking system to Baer, so it stops well enough for me, and the suspension tweaks performed at Guldstrand's ensures that I am able to steer it, although it's more like "willing" it to go where I want, it's that responsive to my commands. ;)

The drivetrain, once I replace the transmission, will remain as it stands unless I start to seriously race the car. It will basically be used for street driving, but I DO want to get it back on the track at least once after we do this work, and I really would like to make one pass, showing some restraint of course, at the drag strip.
"Nothing Beats A Failure but A Try!"

After that, I'll probably expire. ;)

Oppurtunity Knocks....

;) Greetings again, Ken ! It sounds like you have now gotten over the giddy rush of having a litle money in your pocket, and are now firmly planting your feet back into terra firma ! That's good ! My experience being what it is, once you get a good solid engine in the car, that isn't a one off project, you will once again be transported back to the first day's off ownwership of the car, You remember those day's right ? The day's when a 15 minute trip to the circle "K" turned into a couple hours, and you started planning your weekend trips based on what would be the "longest" route / Sure you do ! I also believe that your engine builder and I are on the same wave length ! I've always heard that great minds work alike ! I look forward to your updates as this project marchs forward, Steve.

Uh Huh, I've Heard That Before

but I DO want to get it back on the track at least once after we do this work, and I really would like to make one pass, showing some restraint of course, at the drag strip. Reminds me of an old commercial, I think for potato chips....."I bet you can't eat one".

Ken, only once down the track? Remember, speed is an addiction, along with other things
:crazy

Show some "restraint":L :L :L

Oh yeah, I know the feeling well Lou. It took at least a week to get the grin off of my face after both times I was on the track; once in a Southwest Tour car through DriveTech at California Speedway in Fontana, and once at Willow Springs. Man, I fell in love with it! :D

Truthfully though, I've always been partial to drag racing and full-throttle power shifts. There's nothing like the rush of bangin' gears. In that case, yes, I'm gonna have to build the drivetrain appropriately. ;)

I am having a hard time being patient here. :hb

_ken :_rock

My Point EXACTLY!!!

"Truthfully though, I've always been partial to drag racing and full-throttle power shifts. There's nothing like the rush of bangin' gears":crazy There's nothing like it, a smokey burn out, WFO, holding the foot to the floor, 7 grand BANG second, 7 grand BANG third, 7 grand BANG fourth, looking in the mirror for what was once next to you:) Yes Sir, there AIN'T NUTHIN' LIKE IT!!!

I spent $3300 today, and all I got to show for it...

...is this catalog and a t-shirt!
ROD6speed.jpg

I finally committed today and bought the ROD (Richmond) 6-Speed Overdrive transmission. They didn't have the Vette unit I needed (The DN 4+3 equipped replacement transmissions have a special tail housing and shifter for torque arm hook-up.) so I was unable to take one home today, but it's not going in until the engine build-up is complete anyway, so it doesn't matter. If I had it here, I would probably hook up the shifter and play with it in my living room. You don't want me playing with it, especially in the living room now do ya? ;)

We be starting to cook now. :J

Oh yeah, I made sure to drop off plenty of flyers for the CACC too! ;)

All I got......

Hello Ken ! I know that you finally feel like you are moving forward with your project ! I was wondering what the torque rating was on your new 6 spd ? Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you give me the run down on the ratio's in all six speeds ? Thanks, Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom