Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

key holes

Pac-man

Corvette
1999 triple black vert.
Anyone know what year the key holes where eliminated on the door handles of the C5? I'd like to swap mine on my 99 for an updated look.

Anyone know what year the key holes where eliminated on the door handles of the C5? I'd like to swap mine on my 99 for an updated look.
The keyholes were there for the entire C5 model run. If you view the 2004 gallery and look at the side shot of the 04 Indy Pace Car you can see the keyholes. You may have seen some cars with the painted keyhole covers which mask the keyhole. Those are sold by the Covette Centrals and Corvette Americas of the world for about $40 a set. And it's a nice look too!

Here's a link to the item at CC but the photo isn't very good.

You may have seen some cars with the painted keyhole covers which mask the keyhole. Those are sold by the Covette Centrals and Corvette Americas of the world for about $40 a set. And it's a nice look too!
Aren't you kind of sunk if your fob battery dies? :confused

Aren't you kind of sunk if your fob battery dies? :confused
I've thought about that and figured, assuming I ever buy the things, that I could just pop them back out. But fobs never die anyhow;LOL, the one that came with my car just had bad kharma, right:L.

- Eric:w

2000 - the right side key access on the door handle was removed. This was the same year that the Active Keyless Entry replaced the Passive Keyless Entry also.

I have a 2001 and did notice I have no keyhole on the passenger door. Regarding "Active Keyless Entry", was this an option?; because I was looking to set mine up to do this but didnt see any way to do it in the Options menu?
I guess there is less sense for this option on a C5 (rather then a C6) because you will still need to have the key in your hand to start the car (so you could have just as easily opened the doors with the fob), but I just wanted to see what it did.

you will still need to have the key in your hand to start the car (so you could have just as easily opened the doors with the fob)

Except I bought my car used, and the second key didn't come with a fob - just a "plain ole" key.

So, as Tuna said, after 2000 the driver side key hole was eliminated, is that correct? I already have the inserts, they are terrible quality no matter who you buy them from. On my fourth set, paint flakes and poor fitment.

I already have the inserts, they are terrible quality no matter who you buy them from. On my fourth set, paint flakes and poor fitment.
Phew, you just saved me $40.

key hole inserts

I agree with what Eric said about what Pacman said.

So, as Tuna said, after 2000 the driver side key hole was eliminated, is that correct? I already have the inserts, they are terrible quality no matter who you buy them from. On my fourth set, paint flakes and poor fitment.

Wrong. In 2001 the PASSENGER side key hole was eliminated. The driver's side remains.

Wrong. In 2001 the PASSENGER side key hole was eliminated. The driver's side remains.

Wrong, I have a 2000 and have no key hole in the passenger side door; only the drivers side has a key hole access. In fact there is not even a flat area for a key hole, the handle goes all the way over the opening at the top side of course of the recess.

This be the facts! I do have the plastic key hole cover and they are pretty chincy but I hear they are magetic metal ones that are a lot better. Anyone have these and if so how do you like them?

Take care,

Bill :beer

Regarding "Active Keyless Entry", was this an option?; because I was looking to set mine up to do this but didnt see any way to do it in the Options menu?
I guess there is less sense for this option on a C5 (rather then a C6) because you will still need to have the key in your hand to start the car (so you could have just as easily opened the doors with the fob), but I just wanted to see what it did.

Jistari,
On the '94 C4 models, they did have an active keyless entry system in which all you had to do was be within a certain proximity to the car and it would unlock the doors; walk away a certain distance and the car would automatically lock itself. No button pushing required.

Unfortunately, the system was prone to some bugs. I've heard from owners of '94s who went out of their way to disable that function because the car, sitting in the garage with the keys hanging on a key rack in the kitchen, would sometimes set the alarm off, or go through a continual lock/unlock cycle for hours. I think GM ultimately discontinued the option based on customer feedback.

-Patrick

Wrong, I have a 2000 and have no key hole in the passenger side door; only the drivers side has a key hole access. In fact there is not even a flat area for a key hole, the handle goes all the way over the opening at the top side of course of the recess.

This be the facts! I do have the plastic key hole cover and they are pretty chincy but I hear they are magetic metal ones that are a lot better. Anyone have these and if so how do you like them?

Take care,

Bill :beer

This info is correct, pickup any C5 data book and you will see this exact information.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom