Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Keyless Entry

B

badc4red

Question: I have a 92 coupe, can anyone tell me if these cars came with keyless entry. If so can anyone tell me the RPO code to check to see if mine came with it so I can try to get the FOBS for it. Did not have any with it when I bought it.
Thanks
Johnny:confused :confused

I can't help you with the RPO etc, you might check the 1992 Specifications page here that Rob has constructed.

If you don' t have it, I have recent experience with installing it. There are a few tricks to getting it to work without creating a conflict with the factory alarm.

I bought a keyless entry system from JCwhitney for about $20. You can get a ready to go kit from Mid America, etc.

If you do the Whitney kit, you will need to also get a relay (like a cooling fan relay), and it will work in conjunction with the system to trigger the key door lock ground to keep the alarm from going off when you use the keyless to enter.

Ok so didn't get there until 93. I see systems advertised in Ecklers has anyone ever installed one of these or can you give me a link to any install guides for these for a 92.:eyerole

Johnny,
I had a keyless entry installed in my92. My friend installs stereos, keyless entry etc for a living. He said the car was no big deal at all. It took him an hour to do it. There is a small catch to the setup he used. He didn't want to deal with the VATS system. He wired the power door locks and hatch release.
So when I get out of the car if I hit the power door lock then the system is armed. If I hit the close button on the remote it locks the doors but does not arm the system. Some people don't like that idea. It doesn't bother me. When you hit unlock it of course unlocks the doors and there are no problems wether the security system is armed or not. It will also relase the hatchback. It does the usual flash your lights, beep your horn for lock/unlock.
The keyless entry unit he used cost $35 wholesale. It's been in my car for over a year with no problems. That was way too hard to pass up :cool
Graham

Jeff was a huge help to me getting my mind in the right order to tackle the project and keep the stock systems in check. From there, I had to branch out on my own.

Here is the trick. There is a pair of wires going to the key door lock that disarm the system when you unlock the car with the key. Basically, for a split second it shoots a ground back to the control module and kills the theft system.

All of us with a C4 at one time or another have locked the door with the power door lock, then let the door swing closed while still in the car. Then, you go to open the door and it is locked. So to get out you retrigger the power door lock, or manually unlock, and Beep, beep, beep, beep, the alarm/horn starts honking.

If you put the keyless system on without making a jumper trigger for the key door lock, it will trigger the alarm everytime you hit the unlock keyless feature.

I followed the wires and set up a relay (normally closed) to keep everything in check. When I hit the unlock feature, the relay will snap for a spit second kicking a ground feed to the key lock wire and disarming just as it triggers the actuator to unlock the door.

I mounted the keyless control head and relay in the driver door.

If you get the kit from Mid America, it comes with the relays and complete set up ready to go, and you just follow the instructions. The most difficult part of the job will be yanking your door panel.

Remember, you have a screw under the courtesy light in the door panel as well as under the handle, and under the door lock lever.

Oh, on the hatch, I had to take one side of my module to ground, then the other to the trigger wire on the release switch already in the door panel. At first I just jumpered right into the factory harness for the hatch on both sides, but....it would only let me pop the hatch if the door was open (saftey feature on stick shift cars to keep from opening going down the highway). That was not good, so I went to a hard ground for the feed, then ran it to the switch, and bingo, works like a champ. Come to find out the rear hatch is not in the alarm system, so it can open and close seperate of the door and not trigger the alarm.

I've been thinking about installing a keyless entry system in my 86, here's a link that makes it look easy and uses a GM kit to do it!
Keyless Entry Installation
This article seems to be comprehensive and as the author states it's being installed in an 86, but, looks like it could work on later years with the VATS.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom