Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Kick panel speakers for '69

Mako

Corvette
1969 Hotrod
I need to replace the stock speakers in the footwell kick panels in my '69, but since the car is in CA and I'm in NV, I need to know the correct size to get.

Does anyone know if you can you "grow" the speaker in depth much? Modern speakers have much beefier magnet and voice coil setups. If there is some slack room behind the speakers before hitting the fenders or other misc. stuff, I could put a higher quality part in there.

TIA for the help!

Mako

Don't know if the '69 differed from my '75

But I had plenty of room to line the whole cavity with Dynamat and get in the relatively large magnets of the 4x6" Infinities I put there. My problem was the huge amounts of wiring that went through the driver side one. It took some real twisting and stretching and such to get it by the speaker without resting against it constantly.

You can get 4x6 angled which helps in there. Components rec. or plates.

Tested & removed.
The engine makes enough music for me.

:cool

Thanks for the help gents, much appreciated.

Yeah, the side pipes and pumped up mouse make the radio a bit redundant, but I like the idea of having good tunes in teh car anyways.

Cost is reasonable and it'll give me some quality tunes to listen to hanging out at the Drive-Ins :)

Tnx!
Mako

The original kick panel speakers for your 69 were 4 x 10 inches in size....long and skinny. Hope this helps. Don't remember the ohm rating. Chuck

Chuck

Yes, they were 4x10 in early years. Were probably 8 ohm. I don't like oval speakers & they won't do much bass in the stock kicks so why bother w/ 4x10. Factory went to 4X6 dash later. None of the factory speakers were fit for music & it seems whatever would fit was installed in the end of design stage.

:) You're right, Ganey. The speakers are terrible. My 69 has a pair mounted in each kick panel. There are none in the dash in 68 and 69. Even with the car "not running", you can barely hear them. With road noise AND side exhausts, the radio in my car is simply a decoration. Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom