Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

L-88 question

61 chevy

hello all..new member here... i have a few questions. building a 1969 L-88 engine. Have correct 3963512 code block, looking at a set of pistons with #3947886 cast in the underside. are these correct? also are the connecting rods in this motor supposed to be full floating? anyone have a rod casting number? thanks for the great site and any info you would give me.

Welcome

I don't have the answers you are looking for but I just wanted to welcome you to the CAC!! You will get all of the answers you are looking for and more.

:beer

61 chevy said:
hello all..new member here... i have a few questions. building a 1969 L-88 engine. Have correct 3963512 code block, looking at a set of pistons with #3947886 cast in the underside. are these correct? also are the connecting rods in this motor supposed to be full floating? anyone have a rod casting number? thanks for the great site and any info you would give me.

I have 3969804 P/N for the 427 HD rod and they were full floating. Piston P/N was 3959105 for std & 3959107 for .030

thanks guys...

Redvett...i'm assuming those are part numbers...they are not the same as casting numbers are they?

No these P/N are out of an old GM parts book. Casting numbers are different.

thanks again redvett......i was able to find a spec sheet for a zl-1 which listed that piston part #3959105 using casting # 3947886. so thats great news for me :upthumbs now i just need to find the casting number for the rods.. and i thought this may be easy ;LOL

There was a post on the NCRS board two or three days ago by Joe Lucia that detailed the complete history of BB rods, especially the heavy-duty ones.
:beer

61 chevy said:
thanks again redvett......i was able to find a spec sheet for a zl-1 which listed that piston part #3959105 using casting # 3947886. so thats great news for me :upthumbs now i just need to find the casting number for the rods.. and i thought this may be easy ;LOL
If your building a clone or even a real L-88 car i would go with a better rod. The stock rod broke at Lemans. No one will ever see the inside of your engine and the duribility would be much better even the pistons can be replaced with clones.

61Chevy,

I purchased a NOS set of L-88, ZL-1 rods, part # 3969804. I will look and see if there is any casting #'s forged on them (I didn't think there was) and get back to you.

early shark...there should be a 4 digit number on the side of the balance pad on the small end of the rod..i believe this would be the casting number. thanks, you guys are very helpfull.

okay, I'll look. Will this be raised embossed numbers or stamped numbers?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom