Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Leaky valve seals ?

Corvette
2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
Anybody know of any kind or motor oil additive that works on repairing my 1986 L98 engines slightly smoky valve seals ? Most mornings when I start it the engine gives out with a little puff of blue smoke. I'd hate to have to pull the top of the engine off and send the heads out to be rebuilt just for a little smoke ? am I wrong in this thinking ? :confused

Anybody know of any kind or motor oil additive that works on repairing my 1986 L98 engines slightly smoky valve seals ? Most mornings when I start it the engine gives out with a little puff of blue smoke. I'd hate to have to pull the top of the engine off and send the heads out to be rebuilt just for a little smoke ? am I wrong in this thinking ? :confused
You don't have to remove the heads to replace the valve seals!:thumb

Just need a couple low cost tools!

Take a novice maybe 2 1/2-3 hrs!:thumb:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0750 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0750 (Medium).JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Generally, additives do not work for just any old problem, however, I had a similar problem with my '95 at about 30,000 miles, but it was not every morning; just sporadically and only on a hot start, never on a cold start. Anyway, in money-saving desperation I reverted to my old pal Marvel Mystery Oil (let the fun begin :L). As I recall, per instructions I added 1 qt and 4 qts of motor oil (don't quote me on that- READ THE DIRECTIONS) on a fresh filter and oil change. After about a month of driving the smoke cleared up entirely. Luck? Maybe. Wishful thinking? Not. To this day I do not know why why the MMOil solved that problem unless it "ungunked" some burnt oil residue around one or more seals, plus the MMO may have softened up the seals although at 30,000 mi. one would think the seals would still be fairly pliable. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Generally, additives do not work for just any old problem, however, I had a similar problem with my '95 at about 30,000 miles, but it was not every morning; just sporadically and only on a hot start, never on a cold start. Anyway, in money-saving desperation I reverted to my old pal Marvel Mystery Oil (let the fun begin :L). As I recall, per instructions I added 1 qt and 4 qts of motor oil (don't quote me on that- READ THE DIRECTIONS) on a fresh filter and oil change. After about a month of driving the smoke cleared up entirely. Luck? Maybe. Wishful thinking? Not. To this day I do not know why why the MMOil solved that problem unless it "ungunked" some burnt oil residue around one or more seals, plus the MMO may have softened up the seals although at 30,000 mi. one would think the seals would still be fairly pliable. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

I don't believe in Snake Oil / Cure in a Can either.

That said, I had an '89 TBird with a shift problem. AAMCO wanted $1K to drop it and service. A Ford Tranny tech told me the common problem with that automatic, and said put in a quart of Trans-X.

I tried it, and the same day, the stuff had swelled the valve body seals like he said, and made flawless perfect shift cycles.

SOLD!

I've seen since on some other rubber stuff how Trans-X swells and softens rubber. I don't know that it works on valve seals in motor oil medium tho'...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom