Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Leather vs. Vinyl.

As you know, the 1981 Vette came with the leather inserts (covering most of the center section of the seat) with vynil outter edges, and they seem to wear fine; however under the sun, the vynil seems to retain more heat, and so it seems hotter to the touch than leather.

If you plan to drive it often and relatively long distances, the leather will be more comfortable, but the vynil will hold its apperance longer.

The best thing about the majority of C3 Vettes is the relative ease in which one can swap the seat inserts, so if you can afford it, consider maintaining a set for show and a set for long trips. :thumb

I bought some cheap leather replacements from a guy out of Philadelphia on Ebay for I think $269 set. These lasted all of 1 year. When they came
apart Guess what? They were really vinyl. So remember you get what you pay for and oh by the way I now have Real leather repalcements from Corvette Central.

Question.... I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the issue of pros and cons of both leather and vinyl seats. When I redo my interior I might go with leather... but I'd like to hear from the experts first.

Your kidding, its a no brainer. Leather is Leather, Plastic is Plastic no matter what the popular name for it is today. {Vinyl, Naughahide, Plastic, Leather Like} use whaterver you want to call it. It should be obvious by the price alone. Do you or can you imagine a Harley rider wraping themselves in Plastic? Never happen..so why should you not have the real stuff in your Vette if you can afford it........:rotfl

D10cc.jpg

Or for that matter Leather in your Camaro. First class is just a few bucks more..:upthumbs

canm-1.jpg

DSCnbv00017.jpg

20s-1.jpg

21-1.jpg

Your kidding, its a no brainer. Leather is Leather, Plastic is Plastic no matter what the popular name for it is today. {Vinyl, Naughahide, Plastic, Leather Like} use whaterver you want to call it. It should be obvious by the price alone. Do you or can you imagine a Harley rider wraping themselves in Plastic? Never happen..so why should you not have the real stuff in your Vette if you can afford it........:rotfl

D10cc.jpg

That's a good argument.

You mean Naughahide isn't leather from the rare Naugha???? :confused

Leather really isn't that much more, I got the Willcox kit and it wasn't a large price increase. Do it right if you're going to do it :)

D10cc.jpg

1AAORANGEVETTE5-11-08INSIDE.jpg

Went from the basket weave to leather when i redid the 74. Have to say i like the leather much more. Dave :w

I actually went with leather-like (vinyl) pre-assembled seat covers with foam and they look and feel amazing. Installation was simple (popped righ in). I only drive about 1000 miles a year and my old ones were shot. The 81's had the leather outer vinyl inner (or vice versa) and I think that is why the stitching didn't hold up well on top of the vinyl cracking. I got mine from Wilcox. They told me each year to trade the passenger and driver sides so they wear slower and evenly which I thought was great advice. Would like to have leather but when you got 2 little guys running around you have to cut corners. Most lookers will never know...

Also with new foam be warey if you are a tall person. My head now hits the t-top which NEVER happened before the new seats. I am even 6 foot tall. Hopefully they will wear a little bit, but at 1000 miles a year it is going to take awhile!

Also with new foam be warey if you are a tall person. My head now hits the t-top which NEVER happened before the new seats. I am even 6 foot tall. Hopefully they will wear a little bit, but at 1000 miles a year it is going to take awhile!
Oh crap. At 6'3" I've never had a prob with the old, worn out seats. Looks like I'll be driving with no T-tops on now :)

Oh, and another thing, Corvette America is doing free seat cover install when you buy the covers. Check the web site. Willcox may do the same since they seem to go through Corvette America

Seems like which ever way you go Leather or Vinyl, they look good...:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom