Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Let's Talk L81VetteRegistry

Yoda

Administrator
Corvette
1981 UL5
Ok gang.

I sold Ma's Lincoln LS, Nanc and I are in the market for a newer Corvette. This means that RARE will be up for sale for real now. It may take a few months to sell her, or find a fair trade, but we've decided to look for a 2004 Commemorative Convertible, OR a very low milage 2004 Convertible..

RARE has been a part of the family for 10 years, and I've done everything I set out to do with her, a from rags to riches story for sure with lot's of $$$ in R&R.

Now to the nitty gritty. The current Registry was started back around 2000 or so. It has NEVER Cost any member a cent, I've paid all expense's, including Domain Name, Server Space, Digitalized Embroidery Tape, Software etc..

At one time I paid for technical support and maintenance of the website. Today we have a fellow member Tim G. doing the website. Tim designed the site along with the data base. I've offered the site to Tim.. Tim doesn't believe he really wants to become that involved ~ responsible ~ for the site costs and other related items, e.g. Registry Store.

Tim and I've have talked about the future of the Registry, and WE would hate to see our hard work and $$$ lost. I have ALWAYS maintained the Registry should be NOT FOR PROFIT and NO COST to MEMBERS. I understand that once my involvement ends, I have no say, so I hope for the best in these regards.

Tim outlined a little information of what he feels someone should know or have some skills at:
"The website definitely needs someone who has some proficiency with html, php and mysql databases (lots of jargon). I wanted to build it so that it was fairly easy to manage, but it never got to the complete level that would allow anyone to use it. There is a lot random tasks that require someone to go into the raw data of the database to look up stuff."
You can direct any Tech question to Tim

I can go into more detail about expense's and documentation, please contact me via PM or Email

So far it's been a great ride :Steer

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

I've updated RARE For Sale ad here at the Action Center.

If there is no interest in keeping the L81VetteRegistry alive, I will keep updating memberships until I sell Rare, then I won't waste my time either...

Hopefully you all can keep the Registry Forums alive here at the Action Center, and MAYBE Rob would want to take on the Registry and pay the bills along with his Corvette Action Center or incorporate the Registry into the Action Center..

The only thing I want re-imbursed for is the Digitalize Tape, THAT I WILL NOT GIVE AWAY!

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

Bud,

I wish I could help but I'm afraid I'd fall into that category of "needs proficiency... not just anyone can use/manage it."

Hopefully someone with the skills and interest will step up soon.

:wJane Ann

Bud,

I wish I could help but I'm afraid I'd fall into that category of "needs proficiency... not just anyone can use/manage it."

Hopefully someone with the skills and interest will step up soon.

Ditto, Sensei

I already have a webhosting company that hosts my other web sites. So. I'd be willing to domain transfer L81VetteRegistry.com , but I don't want to pay 2 companies for web services

If Tim is bailing, my son is pretty proficient in php. I wouldn't want to change anything, as it's well established as it sits.

-Paul

:w Paul,

You got Mail (PM) ...

THANKS
Bud

If Tim is bailing, my son is pretty proficient in php. I wouldn't want to change anything, as it's well established as it sits.

-Paul

I wouldn't say bailing; it's more of a transition. I certainly won't up and disappear on someone. I will help as much as possible so the new maintainer can get up to speed and understand how the site works.

I struggle to get a couple of improvements up on the website every year and my time crunch is not getting any better... Not to mention my day job is in front of a PC...

Tim

If it were not for Tim DONATING his time and efforts, there would not be an OnLine 1981 Corvette Registry, at least not on my part.

Tim raised the bar and made our Registry a "Data Base" and a dam good one!

If anyone is Bailing... it would be me :eyerole

As I said ... after about 10 years and about all I can do to Rare, I just don't have the Fire any longer to fund or "put up with" the L81VetteRegistry, and a newer (C5) is in my wife's and my future ;).... and I may say Very Near Future ;)

It would be nice to see all of Tim's hard work and time kept alive, If not I'm sure Tim feels the same way I do... We did our best and we are proud of our efforts and the product we produced for the 1981 Corvettes and their Owners.

Bud Dougherty
Amarillo, TX

I wouldn't say bailing; it's more of a transition. I certainly won't up and disappear on someone. I will help as much as possible so the new maintainer can get up to speed and understand how the site works.

I struggle to get a couple of improvements up on the website every year and my time crunch is not getting any better... Not to mention my day job is in front of a PC...

Tim

I didn't mean bailing in a bad way. I should have said passing the torch or sumpthin similar.

I'm good with html but my son has been pushing me to move to php for a couple of years now. Both he and I work for major telecommunications companies (sister companies actually) and we both write code all day long. So I understand ... really.

The registry is very well laid out and easy to navigate and is quite impressive. :beer kudos on the site.

I'll be talking to Bud soon to see where (if) we can go to keep it running like the well oiled machine it is.

I didn't read it that way Paul, but I wanted to give CREDIT where CREDIT is DUE, and not have any misunderstanding by anyone!

It's a good thing there are more GOOD Folks out there than the few that would ***** if they were hung with a new rope :boogie BUT there are a few that have a very HUGE ME Complex and what's in for ME...

Give me, give me, give me they all sound like a bunch of ..... never mind :chuckle

Thanks Paul for stepping up, I'll be talking with ya ;)

Bud
:w

Had a terrific hour long pow wow with Rare81 tonight. He doesn't sound anything like his avatar ;LOL

Thanks Bud! Hate to see you sell RARE off.

PB,

I spoke with Bud tonight, and I can tell you that he seems relieved that he's leaving it with someone who has the wherewithal, the resources, and the skills-to-match to keep his legacy going.

The registry was a beacon of light back when owners like Nut, Grizz (RIP) and even myself were in search for answers on our beloved Vette's litany of technical obstacles.

This forum in Corvette Action Center was yet another key factor that made it possible that we all still talking about the L81. So in the evolution of our registry, it surely was a major advance.

And finally, now the next evolutionary step is the proverbial passing-of-the-torch (as you mentioned earlier). :beer

I personally want to thank you for stepping-up on behalf of us all L81 owners. It takes an L81 owner to understand our fascination with this rather cool looking Vette, and exposure to the challenges that we all face with the L81 is definitely a prerequisite, but darn it! -it surely is worth it!

:upthumbs

I'm glad to see someone is going to take care of it,it is truly a unique site for our L-81's.I don't have the knowledge that is needed to keep it running..
My hats off to Bud and Tim for making it such a fine site!!!!:upthumbs:upthumbs
Bud you will be missed,and good luck with you future vettes!!!!!!!!

If it ain't broke....

well, I spoke to my son today about it. He's on board. It should be a pretty transparent transition. A year from now, those who haven't read this thread will never know there was ever a change. :)

Tim, Paul, Bill and Gerry Thank you for contacting me, and taking the time to call or let me call you and discuss the future of the L81VetteRegistry.

Thanks Jane Ann and Sensei for your input, support and concerns.

There are "things" that need to be done to complete the transfer of the Registry from Tim and Me to Paul pbcnanney. Hopefully these will not be real painful on me, I actually HATE computers. You all don't know the half of what I've gone through to learn more about Websites, html yadda, yadda... I even purchased a full blown version (New) of DreamWeaver/Fire??? in the beginning :W what a waste of a few $$$.$$ :boogie .... back to today ;)

Unless something explodes or a huge Death Star appears and engages the Registry, this should be the last you all will hear from me as representing the Registry. Hopefully, as mentioned, Tim and Paul get all the Techno Stuff worked out and all mailings / registrations / concerns / and ;LOL Problems (sorry Paul) :boogie will be transfered smoothly and seamlessly to our/YOUR new L81VetteRegistry webmaster and KEEPER of the historical data and documentation of the 1981 CORVETTE..

THANK YOU ALL, IT'S BEEN A FUN RIDE, IT'S GREAT FOLKS WITH GREAT CARS!! You all will always have a special place in my heart. I've met a lot of folks via the Registry and made some life long friends.

Here is a few photo's of the new ride... RARE is still in the Stable, but will be seeking a new home this spring or sooner..

26cy4.jpg

05db5.jpg

12zo4.jpg

15sz9.jpg

20et5.jpg

02gl7.jpg

Bud

She's a beauty, Bud! Congrats on the new horses in your stable!

I'm glad to see that the torch representing your legacy is being passed on to another whose love and dedication to the gathering and sharing of knowledge closely resembles your own.

Well done, Master Yoda.

Bro.....

Speaking from my past, not PC work but clubs volunteer etc. I know all too well the feeling of when it's time, it's time. I congratulate you on the site, you efforts should NOT go by the way side. I also want to say the best of roads to you on your new "Spiffy" ride. :beer

I'd like to ad my thanks to Bud and to Tim for making the L81 Registry what it is today. It took a lot of work and personal sacrifice and we all apprciate it more than we can say.

Thanks also to Paul for picking up the torch. Most of us don't have the knowledge to take care of a site like this. It takes a special individual. There are a lot of good times ahead for us L81ers.

Tom

Time wrap up loose ends.

The L81VetteRegistry has offically been tranfered to Paul Canney (pbcanney).
Paul has or is taking over the Registry from Tim G. our webmaster, and me the tag along.

It was a great ride. The Registry was born in 2000 (I think) and has not looked back. For me it has been a rather bumpy road and furstrating at times. I have no web skills and that proved costly for a bit, then one of our Members Tim G. took on the site and away we went. Tim designed and implimented the Registry and all the associated pages and has maintained them and done one hell of a job.

The Registry has Offically been passed off and Tim and I will enjoy our cars and association with the Registry without all the headaches and stress of updates, and just general day to day issues that are involved with keeping a Registry ontop and functioning at peak performance.

I recommended the Registry Store be closed during this transition period. Some of the items are no longer available via the vendors. I will continue to strive to keep items in the Registry Store available. I will be meeting with our Embroidery Shop and hope to come up with polo shirts and other items that are readily available and keep the costs at a minimum.

Sooo, this brings an end to Rare81 and my direct involvement with the Registry, other than the Registry Store, if it is decided to keep it.

I thank everyone that has particpated.
2001 we particpated in the Rendezvous at the NCM; 2002 we co sponsored SharkFest at NCM; and the Registry contributed to and attended each Corvette Action Center CruiseFest, 2004 (Auburn, IN) ,05,06 (Bowling Green,KY) & 07 (Colorado Springs, CO).
SharkFest 2002 we set a 12"x12" brick at the NCM with the L81VetteRegistry Logo, if I remember correctly it is around space 18 ;)

I truely enjoyed meeting as many of you as possible and believe the L81'ers are a bunch of GREAT Folks, and I look forward to meeting more at future events. Thank you all for a great ride :Steer AND YES RARE is for SALE.. :cry

Bud Dougherty
AKA RARE81

Farewell My Friend! We'll see around the next thread.

No one, nor in any other medium, has dedicated so much time and effort to the L81 Corvette culture than Bud. It takes a leader to wisely choose the time to pass the baton, and I am truly happy for Bud, for this chapter will close in his life, in time to open another chapter in his "new" 2003 50th Anniversary Corvette. :BOW;worship:bowrofl:pat

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom