Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Let's talk tunes................

Far as I can tell, DIN refers to the opening width in the benzel; suitable for an after-market reciever/combo.

I think :ugh

What's "DIN" mean?
"DIN" is kinda like a unit of measurement when referring to a headunit's dimensions.

For simplicity, I'll plagiarize Crutchfield:
The great majority of vehicles have a 2" tall (or "DIN-size") stereo; some Chrysler and GM stereos are 3" tall (DIN-and-a-half), and some Japanese vehicles have 4" tall stereos (double-DIN). Many vendors make 3" and 4" tall aftermarket stereos, or you can purchase mounting kits that allow you to mount a standard (DIN-size) stereo in these larger dash openings.

I believe that most of the post radios that were used in our cars would be considered a standard DIN if they didn't have posts. When I took my OEM out, cutting a standard size DIN opening was relatively painless. Everything mated up. I pretty sure the console won't support anything larger due to the angle of the console and the gauges right above the radio.

Example:

Single DIN
l070XC4100-f_dg.jpeg

Double DIN
l113DPX301-f_mt.jpeg

Later this year I will leave the factory AM/FM 8 Track Stereo installed and upgrade the speakers. Like others have said, I rarely listen to tunes while driving the Vette. I'd rather listen to the chambered exhaust. It actually is a nice change after listening to tunes all week in my truck. Anyone have any suggestions on some nice speakers, for front and back, that will install without modifying cable connections???

Anyone have any suggestions on some nice speakers, for front and back, that will install without modifying cable connections???
That's kinda like saying, "I just want to go faster. What do I need?" :L How much money you want to spend?
I would say that even with newer speakers, I suspect it's not going to tremendously change the sound from the OEM radio. So if you are intent on keeping the OEM for originality purposes, I wouldn't spend a whole lot on speakers. I probably wouldn't spend more than $30 each on the fronts or back pair. Unless you do plan to upgrade the headunit later. Then the nicer speakers will really shine.
If you are going with the former of not upgrading the headunit, then I'd probably just go up to BestBuy or someplace simliar and find some cheapy Pioneer speakers for the front and back. I think the front is 4x6 and rear 6x9. But I don't recall exactly now.
You may need to clip the OEM connectors in the rear. I think I had to on mine.

Well, in that case, I'll keep things the way they are. One less item on my "things to do" list. I thought that I just might make an improvement in the quality of sound with installing upgraded speakers. If it's really not going to be that noticeable then I can focus on something else. Thanks.

If it's really not going to be that noticeable then I can focus on something else. Thanks.
I didn't mean to say that there will be no noticeable difference over 20+ yr old OEM speakers. What I meant was that Using the factory radio, you won't hear a great difference between $30 replacement speakers and $150 replacement speakers. But getting $30 speakers should make a somewhat noticeable difference over the old, cracked, paper cone OEM speakers.
Sorry if I was confusing. :)

Evolution, no problem. Thanks for the correction. Looking for something that I can "plug and play" and is better then OEM. Would prefer not to hack up the existing wiring harness. I hope to get to this later this year but it is a want and not a need at this point.

Put the Autosound radio, stereo dash speaker, kick panel speakers, and 10 cd changer in the trunk. Sounds real good. Put my working Wonderbar in a box on a shelf. I could feed a third world country for the price of what some of these old am radios are selling for. Anybody interested in a good working Wonderbar radio? Just in case we decide to have a kid and put him through college.

have you guys had problems with your cd changers? i have the custom autosound head unit and their 6 disc cd changer.. i have had the problem that the cds become jammed and sometimes it loses connection with the head unit. Its sitting in the compartment behind the passenger seat and i can only guess its too rough of a ride for it. I am (not by choice) pulling it once again and figuring out where my problems lie. Too bad there are no other stock fitting head units out there!! (are there?)

:bash :bash

I was also disappointed with the display on the head unit as its kinda hard to see unless you cup your hands over it.. but otherwise the head unit does fit in the original bezel and thats nice.

I haven't had any problems, and I've got the cd changer mounted in the trunk. The display is not the best, but I can't see it anyway unless I scrunch down. I've got all the buttons memorized so I just reach down without looking and fool with them. I've heard a few complaints on here about the system, but nothing has gone wrong on mine, yet.

...but nothing has gone wrong on mine, yet.

yeah i hope mine survives another summer too.. :eek:hnoes . i have my changer vertically mounted so i may try seating it horizontally for a while to see if that helps it out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom