Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

List of things you may not know about your C5

zagger

Corvette
99 C5 Convertible
Since you asked here is a small list of things you might not know about C5, did you know:

● That you can put your key in the driver’s door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.
● That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.
● The little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located.
● All of the option codes are in the glove box.
Option codes for 1997 were on the bottom of a rear compartment cover, not in the glove box.
● Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver’s door.
● The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor.
● The thing that looks like a little LED near the defroster vent is a UV sensor for determining A/C usage to compensate for the heating effect of the sun.
● The build sheet is in the front re-bar.
● If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the stereo) to let youknowyou have old timers disease.
You can reset the oil life by pumping the gas pedal 3 times (but not with the engine running).
● Hold down the reset button while on one of the trip odometers and it changes that reading to the miles you’ve traveled since last starting the engine.
● Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage “Competitive Driving” on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
● If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while you’re buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you tighter into the seat. (then move the seat forward to make it extra snug -- Leafty)
● Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that when you unlock at night using the key fob your front turn signal lights and back up lights will not flash. Your front turn signals will operate normally, however.
● The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.
● There is a release opening with a flap to let air out of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located just above the driver side rear compartment behind the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it really works well.
● Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.
● If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.
● There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passenger’s side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an ‘indent’ that holds the wheel lock key.
● If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights are not left on.
● If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock the keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then shake the car. That will unlock the car.
● HUD has a shift light for the manuals.
You can easily shift the M6 trans up or down without the clutch if you match revs. (Not great for longevity, however.)
You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without turning on any power. Don’t even need key in the ignition.
● The cruise will disengage if you purposely make sharp side to side turns while cruising at say 60-80 mph.
● When the engine is shut off, you can get the odometer reading by turning on the parking lights.
You can program setting #3 (both memory buttons at once) in the seat memory to run the seat back and steering wheel forward for getting in/out of the car with the engine running.
● If you hate DRLs you can pull the e-brake ONE click and they go off.

5/8/10 - Edited to add option code location correction.

I came across this post buried in the middle of an old thread and decided the info was valuable enough to deserve its own showcase.

Maybe this will make it easy to find and reference for future C5 owners.:thumb

Thanks to member zagger for sharing it.
:wJane Ann

Minor point: Option codes for 1997 were on the bottom of a rear compartment cover, not in the glove box.

Great source of information! Thanks for posting this, Zagger...and thanks for bringing it back to our attention, Jane Ann!

Elaine

Revival

Since this thread was last active more than 2 years ago and it contains some very interesting and useful info about our C5's, I thought it's time for a bump to the top of the C5 forum again. :thumb

If anyone can think of something to add to the first post, let me know and I can edit it in.

:wJane Ann

DRL = Daytime Running Lights

:w

I KNEW THAT!! I WAS JUST TESTING YOU!

Ok, I'm just kidding. Thank you for that. In all actuality, I would have probably spent way too much time figuring that out. Thanks again.

I will likely have a lot of questions that will appear silly to guys who have been around Corvettes for years but, since I don't have to worry about anyone laughing to my face, I'll keep on asking. LOL

I photo copied the list an hand them out when I meet a C5 owner .The recipient is always amazed and appreciative .Brings a tear to see Jane Ann's post RIP

I will likely have a lot of questions that will appear silly to guys who have been around Corvettes for years but, since I don't have to worry about anyone laughing to my face, I'll keep on asking. LOL

The dumbest question is always the one you don't ask.

Ask away! :)

The dumbest question is always the one you don't ask.

Ask away! :)

Thanx guys. In that case, I have a few more questions...

The other day, I was tooling around town and spotted a C5. It had a nose with the grill opening in the center instead of the split grill like most of the C5s I've seen. It looked very similar to this:

download (3).jpg

Is this an aftermarket nose?

Also, I noticed that another Corvette had a very short top on it that I think is called the "Hardtop Coupe." Can someone explain the story on this. I REALLY love the looks of this short top. In fact, IMHO, the C5 with this short top is one of the most beautiful and complete looking sports cars I've ever seen in my life! Everything about this car, to me, just looks RIGHT! I also wonder how practical it is compared to the full coupe version? Does this short roof also have the lift out Targa section?

Here's a photo:

chevrolet-corvette-c5-c6-c7-z06-california-edition-zr1-stingray-forgestar-f14-f14f-forged-flow-f.jpg

Last edited:
Aftermarket front

Fixed roof was found on the Z06 ,also there was a series FRC found on base models.The FRC was intended to be a lower cost entry mainly equipped with LT1 package .

I've got a couple questions ,how come your mother named ya woodyboat ? Second it's a tradition that we all show up at new members home for breakfast .It's not unusual for several hundred of us to show up so what date works .:w

...how come your mother named ya woodyboat ?

LOL, All of my life I have loved anything and everything to do with the water - lakes, rivers and the ocean. I love any and all sorts of boating. But being the quintessential non-conformist, I never wanted to have the exact same plastic boat that everyone else had. Here in Tennessee, there are dozens of large, deep and beautiful lakes and boating is a huge passion. I developed a love for wooden boats at first because they were different. Then that grew into a deeper love because, contrary to the popular myth that says, "They don't build them like that anymore" wooden boats can, not only still be built like they were before, they can be built better. This is because the use of modern epoxies, paints and topcoatings, makes it is quite easy to have a classic boat with all the charm and beauty of 1927 Chris Craft but that same boat can be pounded and abused like any modern glass/plastic Tupperware boat. In my time, I've built a number of canoes and mahogany runabouts. I've built boats that were brand new only to have people run up at a gas station or marina and ask, "Hey bud, what year is that?"

That's always fun.

It's not unusual for several hundred of us to show up so what date works .:w

WOW! Sounds GREAT! July 26 will be fine with me. Come one, come all!

Last edited:
Fixed roof was found on the Z06 ,also there was a series FRC found on base models.The FRC was intended to be a lower cost entry mainly equipped with LT1 package .

I learned from a young engineer where I used to work who is an auto cross addict, the FRC's frame is the most structurally rigid frame in a C5.. I've wondered how true that is...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom