Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Little Help? Learning the Hard-way

najar28

I just purchased my first corvette (1972 automatic coupe) off the internet back in Feb of 2008 from a gal in Georgia:D. It was a project car that was stripped down of the interior and chrome and looked like it just needed to be put back together, some body work and paint. Fairly simple project I was thinking.

I purchased the car for 8,500 and paid 850.00 to have it trucked to So California. About 4 days later I received the car and thought to myself, what did I just get myself into:eek:hnoes. The car had been hit in the front and the previous owner did a **** poor job of repairing it, that it made more sense to buy a whole new door to door front end. I thought to myself well 1,200 for the piece, things could get be worse. I found a restoration place that has done some great work and was reasonable with their price. He gave me an estimate of appox 3,500 to replace the front end, sand, and primer for paint. I have a friend that owns his own shop that will charge me only 1k for a top knotch paint job. With this in mind I think I am doing ok with my budget.

I just go a call from the restoration place and they gave me some bad news. I was told that I needed to come down to take a look at my frame. Well, I had been screwed in my purchase, the frame has rust rot and it would not be wise to cut out sections and replace, therefore I have to buy a new frame. So what looked like a simple project is turning into a frame off restoration project:mad. This is way out of my budget, but I am so far into it that my plastic credit cards are going to take a beating on this one. I am heading down to San Diego this weekend to pick up a frame that's already powder coated for 2,600. My guy at the restoration place is going to charge me 2k to strip my frame and move everything to the new frame.

Now my problem is, since the body is coming off the vehicle what things should I replace? ;help
I may never get this chance again.
I was told by a relative of mine before I purchased this car that I needed to be more patient and wait for another car to come my way because from the pictures he said I am looking at a lot of work, but I did not listen, so now I am learning the hardway.;shrug

...since the body is coming off the vehicle what things should I replace?...I am learning the hardway....

A hard and expensive less to learn. Don't make another big mistake. Don't replace anything...yet. Buy two or three of the Corvette restoration books, read through them, and see what others have done. Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM) and GM chassis and service manauls for '72 and read through those. From that point, you can go over your car and determine what needs to be done (priority), what can be done later (important but not priority), and what might not actually need to be done but is something you want to do.

Go slow and give the project some thought.

:)

It sounds like Najar 28 is in the process of prioritizing, It's easier to change bushings, brake lines and the like when it's all apart, the age of the car should indicate what needs to be replaced. Except for the heavy metal I would replace every thing I could. It cost a lot more to go back in after something when it's buried................

I'd definitely do the main fuel and brake lines with the body off; they're a bear to do with the body back on. Anything else can wait until you have a chance to assess the condition of things.

:beer

Just to make you feel a little better. Any car that you bought of that age would have had issues and would cost a lot to deal with. Unless they already had a frame of restoration. Then you pay your money up front and get someone elses idea of what is right. This way you can chose how you want it done. Numbers matching or make better. As far as were to start. Anything that is rubber is going to be in bad shape after all these years. Replace it all. You will be happy when its done. One bit of advice, if you have a lady that will be with you on drives. Consider the amount of heat that comes through the floors that WILL make her unhappy. I had Kool mat installed in my 76. No heat gets through and the lady is happy. Its not a disaster its an opportunity to do it your the way you want it. Its just going to cost. But you don't have to do it all at once.

For a 72' bumper car if you end up putting 20K total into it, you'll still get your $$$ back when you sell it. If it was a rubber bumper car, you wouldn't. I'd say fix it right but watch your total investment. How is the birdcage?

Thanks for the tip on Kool Mat. This is a no AC car, so I need to keep the car as cool as possible for my wife, but more importantly ME. It's my TOY. I'll probably add air eventually.
Thanks

For a 72' bumper car if you end up putting 20K total into it, you'll still get your $$$ back when you sell it. If it was a rubber bumper car, you wouldn't. I'd say fix it right but watch your total investment. How is the birdcage?

I hope so....As far as the bird cage, it is in good condition, so no worries there.

Can Of worms!

So you think the bird cage is ok, well if the frame is that bad, good luck on the bird cage, that will be a few more thousand, cut your looses and use it as a parts car and try to buy something that will be worth at least half of what you have to spend on it. PG.

:eek:hnoes

Nearly $55k in mine, good thing I didn't do the frame off.

I suggest you get a credit card with a higher limit.

$10k for the motor and surrounding stuff (rad, ignition, headers, exhaust)
$3k for all new ac with r134 and a big pusher fan (included a new suitcase)
$12k for paint, chrome, rubber, windshield
$20k misc bullspit from the fire (new firewall, fire tunnel, fiberoptics, wiring harness', vac lines, fuel lines, brake lines, vac canisters, AC ducts)
$? for seats, carpets, gauges, console, shift plate, radio, speedo, tach
$2,500 for new wheels and tires
$? Transmission
Oh yeah, $2,500 for power brake conversion and Hawk pads

I'm missing something, but this is making feel a little sick so I'm quitting here! I think it gets near $70k.

I still need to go through the front end.

Good thing there's no rust on the car.

BTW, the only way to keep a no Ice car cool is drive on cool nights with the windows down.

So you think the bird cage is ok, well if the frame is that bad, good luck on the bird cage, that will be a few more thousand, cut your looses and use it as a parts car and try to buy something that will be worth at least half of what you have to spend on it. PG.
I'll have to agree with Pete. Cut your losses. You can stop now and try and make up what you have already lost. Be patient and find what you really are looking for...:upthumbs

I would make sure and do the fuel line, brake lines while the body is off. Now any other work depends on how much money there is. I would redo the front end(bushings, ball joints, idler arm, newsprings, tie rod ends. If you can dothe work, ther is not much money spent here. Alignment after car is put together. New body mounts. The rear end would get rebuilt trailing arms with new wheel bearings and stainless steel emergency brake system. New stailess sleeve brakes and pads. Have the differentail gone thru. New rear composit spring. Transmission gone thru. Frame sandblasted and expoxy painted along with front a-arms. New u-joints all areas. New stainless brake hoses. Alum radiator. Motor?depends on what you want-driver or go fast.
Interior-another story, same way withe paint job.

'72 doesn't need an aluminum radiator.

I would make sure and do the fuel line, brake lines while the body is off. Now any other work depends on how much money there is. I would redo the front end(bushings, ball joints, idler arm, newsprings, tie rod ends. If you can dothe work, ther is not much money spent here. Alignment after car is put together. New body mounts. The rear end would get rebuilt trailing arms with new wheel bearings and stainless steel emergency brake system. New stailess sleeve brakes and pads. Have the differentail gone thru. New rear composit spring. Transmission gone thru. Frame sandblasted and expoxy painted along with front a-arms. New u-joints all areas. New stainless brake hoses. Alum radiator. Motor?depends on what you want-driver or go fast.
My point exactly! Cut your losses...

good luck at whatever you do... what motor is with it???? does it have a 4 speed ..if you plan to fix it the right way and keep it ..take your time ..any project car should be seen in person 4 that reason ..

Thanks.
I'm gonna suck it up and get it as much as possible done. We'll see....

good luck at whatever you do... what motor is with it???? does it have a 4 speed ..if you plan to fix it the right way and keep it ..take your time ..any project car should be seen in person 4 that reason ..

It's the orginal 350 motor matching numbers. The last person supposibly had it rebuilt, but I don't know for sure. Things look new on it and it is looks like it has been painted recently. The starter, belts, alternator, vacuum lines all look new, but again I am not sure. The last owner screwed me on the frame, so I don't believe much of what that person said anymore.

I agree with the list approach. Break it down to 3 categories:
1) what absolutely needs to be done (i.e. frame)
2) what should be done now (fuel lines, brakes, things that are easier to reach etc)
3) what could be done later (even a daily driver can give you weekend projects)

You can cut your losses and run now, or you can spend a lot of time (and a lot of money) and build THE car you want. Was this supposed to be an investment or a toy?

Good Luck!

I agree with the list approach. Break it down to 3 categories:
1) what absolutely needs to be done (i.e. frame)
2) what should be done now (fuel lines, brakes, things that are easier to reach etc)
3) what could be done later (even a daily driver can give you weekend projects)

You can cut your losses and run now, or you can spend a lot of time (and a lot of money) and build THE car you want. Was this supposed to be an investment or a toy?

Good Luck!

I'm looking at keeping this car a long time. I'm looking at things this way; at least I will have a car that will be pretty reliable because it'll be like I'm driving a new car. I don't want to worry about the car breaking down on me when I make my 3 1/2 hour drive to vegas with the t-tops off. I'll break out the credit card and pay it off later. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom