Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Locating tank sticker without dropping tank

vetteboy86

Corvette
1986 Black "Indy 500 Pace car replica"
Is it worth trying to locate the tank sticker without dropping the tank? I have heard in the past that taking the taillights out, and also removing the gas tank boot and using a flashlight with mirror.

It is recommended to drop the tank to retrieve the entire build sheet or at least take pictures of it prior to removing because there is a great possibility that you will not be able to remove it all. Now, with that said, I removed my buildsheet with only dropping the tanka few inches so that I could get my paws up there to get it down. I did not get it all down. The portion that was glued is still there.

Yeah I understand that. What I want to know is if the build sheet is visible in any way without dropping the tank.

What year? The 68-72 models had tank stickers in portrait format usually attached to the left side of the top of the tank. Some folks say they have been able to see the sticker from the gas filler opening (I couldn't see mine) or by removing a tail light (ditto; not exactly the perfect angle for viewing). In either instance, nothing on the sticker could be read.

Beginning in '73, the stickers were changed to landscape format and were too large to fit the tops of the tanks. These were usually taped to the front of the tank and disappeared rather quickly.

I would not recommend dropping the tank just to look for a sticker. You could go through a lot of work only to be disappointed, BUT if I otherwise had to drop the tank, you can bet I'd be looking for one.

:)

sticker

Is it worth trying to locate the tank sticker without dropping the tank? I have heard in the past that taking the taillights out, and also removing the gas tank boot and using a flashlight with mirror.

I got mine out by taking the gas cap & boot out and then made a 12 inch long very thin scraper about a 1/4 inch wide. Then working very slowly so as to not damage any more then it had aged. Mine was only 25% readable but still very important to me. Good luck
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom