Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

location of oil temp sending unit

R

ron

Is anyone familiar with the location of the oil temp. sending unit on a 1993? I noticed yesterday that the temp readings (analog) read only about 100-125 degrees. Switching to digital gave me a more "normal" reading and the reading I was getting before was consistent between both digital and analog. I think the sending unit might be the culprit, but I don't know where it is located or whether or not both readings come from one sender. Any help or suggestions would certainly be appreciated. Thanks

Ron

oiltempswitch.GIF

That is near the oil filter; you can see a partial view of the part number for the filter in the lower left of the picture.

_ken

ron,
you may also find that the analog gauge isn't accurate or properly calibrated. on my92 the analog guages all read pretty close to the digital one except the oil temp. on my friends 93 he has the same problem. the anolog reads like the oil is maybe 150deg but the digital gauge says 200-210.
graham

location of oil temp sensor

Ken, Thank you so much for the reply and the excellent Photo. I am going to try the sensor first, and hope that this will solve the problem. Again I thank you for the response.

Ron

Ok I got under there again and took a real hard look for the sensor.
I found a sensor that was screwed into the block above the oil filter with a plug on the end of it. It had a cover that was held on by 2 nuts. So I removed the cover(very simple) and the sensor didn't look right to me. So i looked on the other side of the block and there was one there also that looked exactly the same, even the cover over it was similiar.

I decided not to go any further,

Looks like I will be making a trip to the dealership

Ron, is the sensor the problem re: the analog oil temp guage? I just noticed the same problem on my 1992.

Looking in my Chiltons Manual, it appears that on the passenger side of your throttle body is the IAC (idle air control and just in front of that is the intake air sinsor. The book shows the oil temp sensor just outside the ait temp sensor

My 92 oil temp gauges do not read the same. The analog gauge shows a reading much lower than the digital display. The analog gauges are not linear in their display so depending on where the needle was placed on the shaft at assembly, it could show a different value.

On my 92 LT1, the service manual show the oil temp sensor to be at the outside edge of the oil filter mounting flange. The service manual doesn't show a secondary oil temp sensor anywhere.

The service manual for my 87 L98 also shows the oil temp sensor in the same place and there is no secondary sensore here either). I had a problem recently with the oil temp digital display on my 87 always reading "LO". Turned out the wire connector had come loose and all I did was clean off the connections and snap it back on. It wasn't a "weatherpak" type connector just one of those lug-types.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom