Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking at a C4

S

SRReality

I've run across a '93 C4 coupe, black on black, 6 speed with 44K miles. Carfax is clean. No maintenance documentation, but the car looks/runs fine. I drove it for 45 minutes or so.......did not see/hear/feel any "scaries". Paint is fine, although a little orange peel, interior is perfect. It could use a good detailing under the hood/chassis, but has not been modified in any way. New GS-C tires, otherwise, all original. Battery is dead. I can get it for $14K.

What say C4 folks? C5 electrics are not helped by jump starting or dead batteries, but are C4s as susceptible to electronic problems if " jumped" to start? The price looks "reasonable", if I use an average of "Corvette Enthusiasts" price guide, NADA, Edmonds, Kelley Blue Book. Anything else I should be careful of?

I would not say the car is a screaming deal - at 14k, I would expect the battery to at least be good...

Sounds like it might be nice car - armed w/ info, let us know where you wind up on the deal.

*89x2* said:
I would not say the car is a screaming deal - at 14k, I would expect the battery to at least be good...

Sounds like it might be nice car - armed w/ info, let us know where you wind up on the deal.

I'm having a hard time grasping what the "right price" is on this era Vet - - - looking at Ebay, Auto Trader, Collector Car Trader, etc., I see cars about like this one (mileage, condition, etc.) with higher asking prices, but don't know if they sell for that. Using these sources as a guide is just a rough estimate, but the pricing seems to be "all over the map". I'm thinking about $12500 for this particular car, but likely won't get it at that price.

4DSZR1 said:
In the Puget Sound... 12K would be a screaming deal.

I think you are right ! I have a good friend near Seattle who has a C5 convertible...........great area for a Vet.......when it's not raining! When the sun is shining in the Pacific Northwest, there's no more beautiful place to be!

SRReality said:
I've run across a '93 C4 coupe, black on black, 6 speed with 44K miles. Carfax is clean. No maintenance documentation, but the car looks/runs fine. I drove it for 45 minutes or so.......did not see/hear/feel any "scaries". Paint is fine, although a little orange peel, interior is perfect. It could use a good detailing under the hood/chassis, but has not been modified in any way. New GS-C tires, otherwise, all original. Battery is dead. I can get it for $14K.

Why not offer 13k and see what the guy says?

I'd be very cautious about jumping that battery due to the electronics that the car has. Besides, the battery may take the initial charge but it may not hold onto it. Why not remove the gill panel and replace it with a brand new battery?

You say that the car has new GSC tires. That intrigues me as the GSC's have been discontinued for quite some time now. Perhaps they are the original tires? If so, better to replace due to age/safety of the compound.

Something to ask about is the Opti/waterpump. These are the soft spots on the '93, and are rather expensive to replace once they go south. Some last for many miles, mine went at 25k. I'd ask about that.

Sight unseen, 13k seems a fair price as long as things like weatherstripping, the cd player (these are notorious for going bad), sport seat lumbar/bolsters are in good condition as well. The orange peel that you noted is, unfortunately, a rather common factory issue. :(

Good luck, and keep us posted.

93’s are very nice C4’s. If it all works out and you do buy car, I agree that it’d be best to drop in a new battery. It’d be an easy swap and you’d be set for about five years. If you are new to buying a C4, I’d enlist a friend, local club member, etc who is knowledgeable with C4’s lend you a second set of eyes while going over the car. It can be exciting looking at a new Corvette, having a wingman to help out can keep you from missing a flaw.

If you do go ahead with a jump start:
“wait about two minutes before trying to start the car. This allows voltage to power up the seven microprocessors’ circuit board. This helps prevent voltage spikes into the components.”
— Gordon Killebrew.

Depending on how the car was driven, GS-C’s would’ve lasted about 25,000-30,000 + miles. If the owner shod the car with new GS-C’s after the 30,000 mile (or more) mark, it’s possible that the tires on the car would look relatively new. I have “new” GS-C’s on my LT4 that have less than 700 miles on them. I purchased them new from a Goodyear tire store last year. (I am keeping my car stock for future NCRS judging).

If the car is exceptional all around, I would start $1,200.00 less than the sellers asking price and take it from there.

Good luck with your purchase, keep us informed!

B17Crew
:w

Could be a duff alternator,if they dont work right they will keep killing the battery charge.

Any good tire store can tell you when the tires were manufactured. There is a code number on the inside sidewall which gives the information.

It could very well be that these tires "look" new but are of an age where replacement would be a mandatory safety precaution. We're not talking about Grandma's ride to church every Sunday here.

Check the headlight motors as well. If you see some white dust near them, the bushings are gone. The fix is cheap but time consuming (4-8 hrs).

As for battery, I boosted mine when it died just to get home, then bought a replacement for $50. I'm surprised that the seller would put it on the market without doing so himself before selling. Could be an indication of failure to attend to general maintenance.

Looking at a C-4

Thanks for all the tips! It appears to me that the only thing wrong with the car is the battery. The present owner has not had it very long; took it as a partial trade on a very tricked out 4 wheel drive truck he had built. His wife didn't like the Vett after he got it, so it sat some more, since January. Everything works, the weatherstripping is good, the seats all work, the tires still have the "nubbies" on them, which doesn't mean they are "new" on the clock, but "new" as to mileage. No white plastic dust near/in the headlight housings. The battery appears to be the "original" one - Delco 60 series, but I'll go over the whole car if I buy it and clean, replace and/or perform maintenance anyway, just so I'll have my own baseline and knowledge that everything has been addressed. The overall condition says that it has been well cared for and garaged. Since it's now 13 years old, I don't expect it to be showroom new. Things quit, break, wear, die, etc. on used cars.

Thanks again for the tips, particularly the one's unique to C-4s. I'm very well "aquainted" with my '62, but a '93 is just slightly more complicated!

Batteries die but to try to sell a car with a bad battery is :W The first thing a buyer wants to do is start the car!!!

BLACKTALON said:
Batteries die but to try to sell a car with a bad battery is :W The first thing a buyer wants to do is start the car!!!

Yep..........that's part of the reason I told this fellow that his car wouldn't/shouldn't bring "top dollar", like he started off with. I've bought at least 75 used cars of all kinds over the last 45 years and can only think of 2 - 3 "busts", so I've gone through my "checklist" and made my offer. If we can't get together, there'll be another one out there to look at, sooner or later!

Ask the guy if he will allow you to take the car to a reputable shop for a "pre-sale vehicle inspection". That should cost about $100 to $125 and may be well worth it. That way, he wil have to deal with the battery issue.

The early LT1 cars had some oil leak issues especially around the front cover and the intake manifold. While not a deal killer, it's still a leak. Take the VIN to a Chevy dealer and see if they will run a Vehicle Service History report on it. If the car was ever serviced at a dealership, there should be some service history.

Inspect the water pump for any signs of leaks. If the pump leaks and/or fails the coolant will take out the OptiSpark and you are then looking at many hundreds of dollars in repairs.

At 44K, everything should be in good condition and the motor should be able to give years of performance.

c4cruiser said:
Ask the guy if he will allow you to take the car to a reputable shop for a "pre-sale vehicle inspection". That should cost about $100 to $125 and may be well worth it. That way, he wil have to deal with the battery issue.

The early LT1 cars had some oil leak issues especially around the front cover and the intake manifold. While not a deal killer, it's still a leak. Take the VIN to a Chevy dealer and see if they will run a Vehicle Service History report on it. If the car was ever serviced at a dealership, there should be some service history.

pect the Inswater pump for any signs of leaks. If the pump leaks and/or fails the coolant will take out the OptiSpark and you are then looking at many hundreds of dollars in repairs.

At 44K, everything should be in good condition and the motor should be able to give years of performance.
Yeah in ny case about $2300 worth

New addition

After some discussion/negotiation, I bought the 1993 Black Coupe at $13K. I put a new battery in it, gave it time to "adjust" to having current again, fired it up and drove it 150 miles home. Everything works, all the parts function and after I washed all the dust off, etc., found only very minor paint dings from bugs, sand, etc. on the front end. Some squeaks and creaks from the top, but otherwise solid. No scary clunks, clangs, whines or clangs. Wheels have absolutely no "curb rash" and the front spoiler underneath is intact. In short, very clean, no surprises, runs very nice. Considerably more complicated than my '62 ! Change all the fluids, belts, hoses, detail the whole thing and I'll be on the road ! Nice car, glad to have it!

Thanks for the tips from "the forum".

Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to the C4 club!

I especially like your color choice!

Steven

OldCorvetteFan said:
Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome to the C4 club!

I especially like your color choice!

Steven

I "swore" several years ago I'd never have another black car, but the C4 coupes only appealed to me in Black. Hard to keep clean, but hard to beat when it is clean. Luckily, I enjoy detailing a car, so I foresee some serious "fun".

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom