Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

looking for nice valve covers for my 88

Corvette
1988 convertible-blue pearl
I'm getting new head gaskets and valve job done. Now would be a good time to dress up the motor with some nice valve cover. Most of the new ones I see for sale just have the small holes for pvc and breather. I need one side to have a oil filler hole and pvc hole and the other side for a breather. I don't know if chrome really holds up with the heat. I'm leaning toward polished aluminum. I also want them to have Chevrolet on them. Any suggestions.

How about some aluminum w/chrome? These are Proform #141-132, on my LT1.
2398984545_c1bd721a1a.jpg

Those are definitely sharp looking! :upthumbs

SAVE THE :w

Very Nice

I ordered a set, they will be here Tuesday. I spoke to the same guy who took your order. I like the piece in the center but mine has a plenum so I don't think I can do that. I can't wait to get the car back and see what it looks like.

You need to go ahead and order the right gaskets...The ONLY place to get them is AutoZone! The part is a Felpro Performance #1648, That is a special laminated steel and cork gasket that fits thoses covers. They are pricey @ $48.00, But they are the best! When you go to install them e-me first! You've got to watch a few things.

Hell, I got time...The first thing you need to do is, take the baffle screws out the valve cover and put thread locker on them! (RED TYPE) I was having bad dreams of thoses screws falling in the motor! Next...Wax them really well, this will make cleanup easier later. Use weatherstripping glue (3M Yellow) to hold the gaskets in the valve cover. Let it dry for hours before installing! When you remove your old vc's you must remove the stud extensions in the head. CHECK the new bolts to make sure the threads are correct before you place the new covers on the head! Clean the head gasket face well. I used my shop-vac as I scrapped and wire brushed. Here's the tricky part! When you go to tighten them down, go from the center bolt out evenly like torquing a head down. But use a 1/4" drive rachet & socket to get the best FEEL for the tightening! Do it evenly and THEN watch the top of the cover!!! The tighter it gets the valve cover will flex!!!! Just tighten until you see the chrome reflexion start to flex! It won't feel like it's enough but it is! Drive it a couple of days then recheck them. The cork will soften and there will be no flex in the chrome reflexions, check for leaks and watch them for about a week! Hope this helps! Wrenchmantee

Thank you

I appreciate the tip. I'll make a copy of that and show to the guys doing the work. I'm limited to things like changing oil etc. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom