Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Looking to buy a C4 86-88! suggestions, cautions!

Rookie Vette owner

Corvette
1973 Blue Coupe
I'm in the first stages of looking to get an early C-4. I looked at a Red 86 automatic w/119k today, great body, interior, tires, exhaust and runs good also. It also has a late production #, so it may have the aluminum heads (forgot to get casting #) $7650. What are some of the quirks and problems associated with these model vettes. Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

They all have there own little quarks and problems as far as I am concerned, however some just have more then others. My suggestion is to drive each of the model years. I have an 86, and I know my bro's 87 has more options then mine, one in particular is an oil cooler. Any time you look at a span of years, you will know for sure that the later years have more development. Depending on what you are looking for, that might sway your decision. Another good one is i think that the 88 went to a 17 inch wheel.

Good Luck,
Craig

You don't even need the casting numbers to check the heads just use a magnet. If it sticks the car has cast iron heads, if not they're aluminum.

Each year, the C4's got a bit more HP and there were lots of on-going upgrades and engineering changes. They just got better with each year.

As far as cylinder heads, aluminum heads were introduced in all 86 convertibles and the last 8600 or so coupes received aluminum heads which were worth an additional 5HP. Early coupes had cast-iron heads. All subsequent model years got aluminum heads.

88 was the first year for 17" wheels and 275/40-17 tires and the J55 "Big Brake" package. This was part of the Z51 performance supsension package and along with that the front suspension underwent some design changes.

If you go to the Model Center (click on Tech Center at the top of the page, then Model Center). You can select any of the production years and in the new window that will open select "Production and Performance Review" That will display some facts about the model year, what was new, what options ere available, the number of the options installed on the cars and their cost.

Most of the cars will still have the "Service Parts Identification" sticker either under the console lid or under the passenger side storage compartment lid. This will tell you what specific options are on the car and you can find a desctiption in the Model Center for the particular year.

I just purchased a 1990 Vette a couple weeks ago and I love it! The interior is different from 90 and up. There is also a comfort ride selector (FX3) that is avalible for the 89 and up models.

Good Luck!

Any time you look at a span of years, you will know for sure that the later years have more development. Depending on what you are looking for, that might sway your decision. Good Luck,
Craig
Theres the best advice I can think of as well. The 88 came with 17" wheels meaning it has the bigger front brakes. And does not use the disk/drum rear brakes. Although the 88 is an odd duck for shocks. My suggestion is a 91 or later with the analog dash and better performance numbers.

:beer How much you wanna spend?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom