Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lots of folks out there bashing the C4...what gives?

B

BIGBADJOHN

***sorry if this is in the wrong forum....I am still new to this website***

Ok, so I know that there are all kinds of people that give all kinds of advice. I am trying to get into my first corvette, and in doing research I have opened several discussion threads talking about the pros and cons of the C4. Some say the C4 is dated. I say its classic. Some folks say its an 80's designed quirky nightmare...I say it has personality. Some say get a C5 because a C4 is such an old design. I say I want as pristine a vette I can get and the quality I want is not affordible if I look at a c-5. My price range is $16-19k, not $25k-$30k.

Check out this thread over at the contour enthusiasts group. I got them talking about the subject because I wanted them to play devil's advocate with my purchase....just so I know I'm getting in for the right reasons...so far I have been able to fight off the critics.

http://www.contour.org/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012774

One question though, and the reason for this post....

What say you C4 guys about the differences between the C4 and C5, especially from a technical and emotional perspecitve. I know what they are on paper, but don't know how the revisions changed the personality of the car....I would enjoy some of your comments when comparing the two generations, especially since you guys are already proud owners....I hope to be one too in April!!! thanks.

Here's my $.02

Regarding your post on the other forum: look around this site, I would wager that the majority of the people you run into in the C4 forum are not just "old". As a matter of fact I was somewhat surprised that the average age of C$ owner on this forum is younger thatn I expected.

Cost/performance: you make a big jump in cost going from a '96 to a '97. The C4s are still on the downslope for prices, so you can get a car that over time may start increasing in value, at least it isn't going to depreciate like the SVTs. You will get a much better maintained '94-'96 for your price range than a '97 or '98.

Performance: beyond the numbers, I have seen several articles talking about how the c4s are actually much better autocross cars than the c5s until you get to Z06. In strait line driving 1/4 mile at a time, thats a different story. The LT1 was a limited production year engine, you will find more performance mods over time for the LS1(check out a post here the other day about engine differences "LT1,LT4,LS1,LS6.... Whats the difference?") I worked on the design of the contour...no contest c4 wins on performance,fit, and styling hands down in my book.

Either C4 or C5 its a whole different world that driving a "performance sedan." I have a '98 regal GS (supercharged 240HP V6) that feels like a real sedan after driving the vette (I tried to fool myself into thinking it felt sporty for a while.):)

I own a Grand Sport and when I got my eyes on it there was no contest, but that's probably not fair. The C5 is a much more refined car. Smoother, quieter and in general all around a much more together vehicle from the standpoint of today's cars. BUT I don't personnally like the styling. The booty is too big. Also, since my car is a third vehicle it is the family toy and I prefer just a bit of those rough edges that make the C4 a little more of a sports car. One man's opinion and worth exactly what you paid to get it. Dave

Dave,

Thats the beauty of this forum, the info you get here is worth more than you pay for it;)

This is my opinion. I like the body style of the C3 the best. It has the greatest curves. Next best in my book is the C4. It has a sleek aero look to it. I dont like the C5 at all. Even if I could afford a C5 I would not buy it. The car looks like they started designing it at the front and worked there way back. Then gave up when they got to the rear wheels. They should have done something better with the rear end. It is just too big and flat.

The C4 has performance advantages over the C3's. It handles better, rides better, and will outrun most C3's. Besides being affordable and very reliable. That is why I bought a C4. The C5 has all the same advantages over the C4's that the C4's have over the C3's. C5's being the current generation car makes them still very expensive. I think the C5's in time will be considered the ugly vett. I dont wish to offend. Just my opinion.

Paul.

Paul,
I've owned a corvette since 1969. IMHO you either love this car and appreciate it and what it represents or you're one of those individuals that just buys one because it's quick or looks good. If it's the latter, there are plenty of quicker cars and plenty of cars that look good. I feel this is the reason the Wave has pretty much died.
In my mind any year Corvette is hands down over any SVT and I don't mean to offend.
I guess what I'm saying is, if you even have to think about it stick with what you've got;)

OK guys. Let me have it:r :r :bash :bash :r

Carlo

I have to agree with Paul G. I like the body style of the C3 best. I wanted a C3 until I drove both a C3 and a C4. I really liked the handling of the C4 so that's what I bought. I just don't care for the looks of the C5. The rear end is just toooooooo big. I realize that it is a car that is far superior to mine and I certainly don't begrudge anybody who wants or owns one, but it's C4 for me. That's my opinion and I'm unanimous in it! :) :) :)

right on Carlo:upthumbs

By the way I was one for one on getting waves back today :w of course the other guy was in a c4

If you search this forum this is a repeat from me. I've owned at least 1 of every generation Corvette, the first being a new '57.

Each generation was just a stepping stone to the next and a better Corvette. Each had its down side and its reasons for owning it. The C4 was the greatest one ever, until I drove my first C5. If we all liked the same thing there would only be the '53 out there for us to drive. Since that is not the case, buy, drive, and enjoy the one you like. The C4 is a very good Corvette and a very good buy, just drive the one you buy and enjoy it, who cares what anybody else thinks about it.

:cool

resale

The resale on a Corvette is outstanding, as outlined above. Right now, you and I are on the wrong end of that!!!

Looking at other cars, it seems like most of them lose about half of their value in 3 years or less, wheras Corvettes are going for about 6 years before depreciating to .5 value. What is truely amazing as that they then start to appreciate later on down the road, and there just aren't many cars out there like that at all. Cannot wait to get one.

-Greg

nyernga,

Can you name a few good dealers you know of specifically? That would help...its going to be hard for me to buy from a private party due to the fact that I can't afford to have two cars at one time....the timing would have to be perfect. A dealer may be my only alternative due to their ready inventory and willingness to liquidate my car should "the one" come along.

Dad said:
... buy, drive, and enjoy the one you like. ... just drive the one you buy and enjoy it, who cares what anybody else thinks about it.

:upthumbs

_ken :w

Like these guys have said

I read the posts from the other forum. There seemed to be a couple opinions opposing the C4 but not too bad. When I started out looking for a Vette, I didn't like the C4 body style very much and didn't even conisder it. Now (little more than a year later) I would like very much to have a C4...in addition to my Shark of course:upthumbs Roll up in a Grand Sport or any C4 for that matter and those guys will be drooling over it. Good Luck and as others have suggested before, shop around to find YOUR Vette.

The C4 Corvette

Iv'e owned several Corvettes over the years including a 1963 and 1967 roadsters and a 1999 C5 but for my money I would never buy anything but a C4. To me they are the last true Corvettes made and the best of the bunch, I've owned 3 ZR'1s, a 1988 35th anniversary coupe, a 93 40th anniversary roadster, and many others, and currently own a 1986 yellow pace car roadster with 4 +3 Transmission and a 1988 Red Callaway twin turbo coupe with 9,800 original miles.I love them dearly and for pure sports car feel and drop dead good looks you can't beat them. I always found them to be realiable, powerful and dependable and get great gas mialge. And how about that clam shell hood? I believe very strongly that in time a well care for original C4 will appreciate. Why not? They are a true Corvette classic!
Lou Bellera

A PHOTO OF ONE OF MY BELOVED C4'S

I hope you enjoy this photo of my 1986 yellow pace car convertible. One of 95 yellow roadsters with 4 +3 manual transmissions. A true show car!!

photo won't download..try this

gpo to www.rogerscorvettes.com go to FREE pages display where you can post a photo of your Vette then go to New York and then click on Lou Bellera's 1986 Pace car convertible

I think the C4 is hands down the best Vette ever. It has the sleek lines, performance(LT4 engine), and handling. The C5, like what just about everyone is saying, doesn't have the lines that make the C4 better looking. Of course, the C5 does have the Z06 engine, so to make the perfect Vette, let's put the Z06 engine in a C4.

The Way it is!!!

If you can only afford one Corvette at a time.. like the majority of the rest of us.. then get one.. Any one! Once you can afford another one you will want your first one and you will also NEED a second one. Especially if you're married... one for each of you! Then, you both will be so hooked that even when common sense dictates that a Van or something else is better to get the groceries with .... then, you have to get one of them as well.. Do not, under any circumstances, sell one of the Vettes.. you will regret it! So, bottom line is .. it does not matter where you start just as long as you start!

Imagine thinking forty years from now "hmmmm... I wonder if I would have enjoyed owning a Vette?"

I have a '96 LT4 which I've had for several years. It looks great, runs great and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom