Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

low power

ragz

Hi all . I have a 2003 zo6 that all of the sudden seems to be less crisp and slower to respond to throtle input.There are no codes showing but i am sure i am not imagining it . It also makes no odd engine noises. Just a guess but could it be a broken valve spring. any ides are appreciated .If it were a spring how would you tell.

I don't think it is a spring, but could you be more specific about the noise and loss of power? A broken spring would drop the valve into the bore to be destoyed by the piston which in turn would be ruined, and scar the cylinder walls, not a pretty sight. You can check the springs in a matter of minutes. Remove the plastic covers, unplug the coil pack, remove the coil pack, remove three bolts on the valve cover and you are there. I think the coil packs are +/- (5) 10mm bolts and the valve covers are (3) 8mm. Very easy to do in 2 mins., 1 min. if the engine is cold.

Thanks for your reply. The feeling i get is that it is slower to climb up in revs , example from 3000 rpm to 4000rpm is normaly crisp and effortless but now seems sluggish. the only thing i have done was wash the engine compartment .I am not hearing any odd noises.The reason i ask about springs is i was reading on the forum of some who had them break. i will check them mid week and thankyou for the instructions .

my votes on vacuum leak. Also perform normal maintaince like change the pcv valve if your year has one.

Check your spark plug wires with double clicks on the coils. Make sure the bottom is on tight.

Don't wash the engine compartment... Wipe it down in the future.

I don't like the idea of washing an engine compartment in these new cars ...

Too much electronics.

Good luck

JB

I agree JB. If water gets in somewhere, you could get some spuddering that seems like a loss of power. It shouldn't last long, but I've seen this happen after a car wash. Just a hunch, also check your passenger carpet for any water or dampness. This could be the result of a seal leak on the windshield.

Well it must have been some water giving me grief because now its running like a champ again,that is a huge relief .Thanks for all your responces this is a great site .I will never wash the engine bay like that again ,lesson learned

The only engine I wash now-a-days is the Cummins in my Dodge. I do agree with you though. With all of the computer geewizz stuff under the hood of these new cars water probably isn't a good idea.

I clean mine by mixing up some water and some orange blaster or mean green. Then I use the paper shop towels to wipe the engine and such down. The Orange Blaster and Mean Green are great for cutting any oil and grease. After washing and getting rid of the dirt and grease, I use some detailor to finish the job. Does a really nice job of making the engine and the other stuff under the hood look nice. Last Sat I was showing the vetts to a friend and he was amazed at how clean they were under the hood;).

:w
HD

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom