Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LS-1 in a 1969

B

brice

I have been toying with the Idea of droping a LS-1 or LS-6 engine into a 1969 stingray coup, with the six speed. I cant find any info from any others trying this motor swap. Will It fit? What is the spacing difference between the measurerment of a stock 350 and 4 speed and the newer LS-1 and its six speed? Will the stick shift be even close to the stock position?
I would appreciate any info or sorces of info to this project.

Wow, that sounds like a pricey lil' upgrade. I can only imagine the computer and wiring harness alone will cost a pretty penny...

You may also consider linking to this post in the C5 forum here to get a cross section of lookers.

I am going to do same swap, except on a 76 chassis, mcburnie conversion, ls6/2004r/4.11 car. I have the driveline complete from a 2002 ws6 transam. can find several guys that have done but unsure if will work on mine, due to excessivly low hood (w/ls6 intake only 1/2" hood clearance w/deeply dished aircleaner), I think all I have seen are w/tall hoods. Since cannot readily find spare hood for mine am unwilling to alter.

perhaps will add some sort of injection to bb & convert to 5 or 6 spd, have terrible time with fuel boil due to poor quality, plus stick would certainly be much more fun than auto.

I did this vary swap in my 1970 convertible a few years ago. There is a lot of fabrication required, but it will fit. I used custom motor mounts, custom trans mount, custom clutch master cylinder mount, shortened driveshaft, modified radiator support and custom wiring. The interior looks totally stock and it all fit under a big block hood. Should fit under a small block hood as well. The T56 is big and quite a bit bigger than the Muncie 4 spd.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/70lt1/ls1.shtml

thanks for the info. Did you document any of the custom moves you made along the way. Or was there any signifigant problems or moving major components to make the engin fit. How dose the car perform with the new engine/trans combo?

The car is awesome. Well over 25mpg and faster than a big block shark. Everything was fairly easy, just time consuming getting everything to fit.

Not a big fan of their forum, but Budman78 at corvetteforum.com is in the middle of a similiar swap (LS-1 into a '78). There are several members their who have performed similiar swaps in C-3's.

i saw a guy at a vette show last summer who put a LT1 in a 79. he said the hardess part was wiring harness.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom