Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Lt4 tire replacement

1996 LT4 Topic
D

Dean Barker

I am guessing that the 96 LT4 red coupe that I just bought has the original Goodyear GSC-EMT tires (32,000). They sure are noisy so I bought a spare tire setup and plan on replacing the tires with non run flats, either Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP or Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. How about Good Year GSC non run flats. Opinions, please, is this the way to go. I'm just a average driver; plan to drive it all over the midwest.

I replaced my original GSC's with the GS D3's. There is a reduction in road noise as well as a higher level of adhesion. I've been happy with the D3's in all conditions but have only put about 1500 miles on them in the last 4 months.

The only trade off I've seen with the new tires is that the GSC's were a little sharper on initial turn in. The car responded like a go-cart. The new tires are not at all "mushy" feeling but just not as rigid in the sidewall. The ride is much better though.

I don't have any experience with the run-flats.

Jeff

Dean,
I just had new GY GSCs (non run-flats) put on all four corners of my LT4.

I drive my car daily through all types of weather conditions including snow. I think that the GSCs are nice for what they are, keep in mind the design of the GSC is over 10 years old now (introduced on the ‘92 Corvettes). Many new tires with superior qualities have come out. I can’t complain about the GSCs, they are fairly quiet on the highway and have offered up a smooth ride. I keep them at 30 psi and find around town driving comfortable too. As for mileage, I’ve gotten the same mileage out of them as you.

I have no complaints about their water shedding capabilities, only when your tread wears low does the front end feel squirrely on highway cloverleafs.

I thought about switching to other tires than the OEMs, but I want to keep my car stock, so that was another factor in my decision.

B17Crew
:w

When you replace the run-flats (EMTs) with non-run-flats, you will notice that the initial turn in isn't as crisp. That's normal. The stiff side wall on the EMT gives that initial crispness but the overall corning capability is lower.

Having had both EMTs and regular on my 92, I'll take the regular tires anytime.

I have Michelin Pilot Sports mounted and highly recommend them. I'd also second the recommendation for the GY D3 but I haven't personally tried them yet.

Does your 96 have a spare tire - some of them came with the spare tire deleted if they had EMTs mounted. Nice idea but that may change your mind on buying regular tires for your car. The spare may come in handy.

As for getting new GSC - probably not going to happen since GY isn't making them now. The D3 is the regular replacement tire now.

If you decide on run-flats, check out the Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZP or the Firestone SZ50 EP.

Tuna said:
As for getting new GSC - probably not going to happen since GY isn't making them now. The D3 is the regular replacement tire now.

This is true, I did have difficulties finding new GSCs, I ended up finding my rears at TireRack, my fronts were available at my local GY supplier.

They are out there, just takes a few clicks of the mouse or a phone call to locate. If you went the GSC route, don’t let someone try to gouge you on price as one GY supplier wanted $300.00 for the rears because he had “demand for the OEM GSCs”! I Thanked him for his time, hung up, and called another GY shop and got them for $210.00.

B17Crew
:w

Thanks for your comments, everyone. Dean Barker

Best tires for LT4

I put the GY D3s on my CE about four months ago. They are awesome. I had the original EMTs. Then the F1 Steel, which was 100% better than the EMTs. But these new ones are fabulous. I bought them at Just Tires. They use the Tire Rack price sheet, then DISCOUNT them from there. What a great deal!
Tire noise is appreciably less, stick like glue, and rain does not bother them at all.

Thanks for replying--I'm beginning to think that the Gy D3's may be the way to go.

I would personally save the money and go for a cheaper tire... it all depends on what you are looking for in a tire. I bought Kumhos for my LT4 CE, and loved them. I have had GSC's, Gatorbacks, and F1's in the past... I don't think they are as good as they cost.

Lt4man is right. D3's are the best riding (just like touring tire), best sticking, straight tracking and NO noise. You just can't get a better tire. I am comparing them to the original (noisy), michelin pilot sports (could not balance-bad manufacturing-replaced two rear free and still could not get balanced) and mxx's (not sticky and not well balanced). Go D3's and not look back!

Tire Replacement "Whats A Guy To Do"

Having Goodyear Eagle GS-C EMTs (Run Flats) on my 96 LT4 W/Tire Delete OEM
"What's A Guy To Do". I understand that the GS-C's are becoming scarce since Goodyear is not producing them anymore. I currently have 36,000 on the "vette" and will be looking soon for tires. REAR: (P285/40ZR17) FRONT: (P25545ZR17)

Any suggestions, as I would like to keep the car as stock as possible. I would appreciate any knowledgeable suggestions.

Thank You,

DCAATC

I have the Firestone Firehawks on my '96. They are quiet and handle great. My only complaint is that they don't come in a 315 size...cause I want to put 11" rims on the back and would like to stay using Firehawks

Dean Barker said:
I am guessing that the 96 LT4 red coupe that I just bought has the original Goodyear GSC-EMT tires (32,000). They sure are noisy so I bought a spare tire setup and plan on replacing the tires with non run flats, either Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP or Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires. How about Good Year GSC non run flats. Opinions, please, is this the way to go. I'm just a average driver; plan to drive it all over the midwest.
Dean,
Does your 96 LT4 have the "Tire Delete" OEM? Mine has the "Tire Delete"
and I'm in a quandry over replacing the original EMT's since Goodyear has alledgely stopped production without a suitable replacement. Checking with local Goodyear dealerships, the shortage is for the left front and rear. Since the front and rear tires are different sizes and the "Run Flats" are made for each side, you can see the problem. Then throw in no spare, I need the Eagle GS-C EMT's
FRONT: P255/45Z/R17 REAR: P285/40Z/R17 THX: DCAATC

I am really puzzled by the fact that you want to put run-flats back on your car. You need to ride in some other C4's that have had the tires replaced with non-run-flats. Then you will understand why no one replaces the run-flats with run-flats. Don't take my word for it. See for yourself. Good luck in your quest! (See my post earlier in this thread)

One more thing. I also have the spare tire delete option. With the low tire pressure warning system, I am totally at ease driving my car. My 96 has 74,000 miles and I have put two sets of tires on it. If I break down, I will be calling my insurance company ( I have towing ) and a technician will repair the tire. That way I contribute to the gross national product!

I just went to www.justtires.com and input 96 convertible. It replied with 3 tirest [front]:Goodyear Eagle F1, Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra, and Dunlop Sp Sport 9000. Which one did you buy?Denny Nelson

lt4man said:
One more thing. I also have the spare tire delete option. With the low tire pressure warning system, I am totally at ease driving my car. My 96 has 74,000 miles and I have put two sets of tires on it. If I break down, I will be calling my insurance company ( I have towing ) and a technician will repair the tire. That way I contribute to the gross national product!
LT4MAN,

Now I see what you mean and I will go back and see your earlier "quote" on the tire I should use. All I could see was having to get a spare tire kit installed which would have deleted any savings by using other tires and breaking down along the highway in some remote area. Thank-you for your help in making me understand and your expertise on this subject. When would you consider the EMT's worn out? (4/32", 6/32") How deep was the original tread?-----THX

DCAATC

Gy Eagle F1-gs-d3

lt4man said:
LT4MAN,

If I go with the GY EAGLE F1-GS-D3's, and remove the "Run Flats" do they reinstall the transmitters so that the LTPWS continues to work? I guess I would have to take the vehicle to someone who is very familiar and trained on the "Run Flat" tire technology for demounting the old and mounting the new? "Just Tires" had the GY EAGLE F1 FR: 214.00 RR: 213.00. "Tire Rack" had the GY EAGLE F1-GS-D3 FR: 193.00 RR:192.00!!!! ---THX

DCAATC

My car does have the spare delete option, so I purchased a complete spare with all the brackets except the wrench hold down (behind the drivers seat) from Contempory Corvette in Bristol, PA. My EMT's are not worn out yet so will run them at least another year. If I bought tires today, I would get the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 non run flat (I don't know if they are offered in run flat). The only thing that bothers me is they are Y rated, not Z, but I will not be going that fast anyway.

LT4 EMT Tire Replacement

Dean Barker said:
My car does have the spare delete option, so I purchased a complete spare with all the brackets except the wrench hold down (behind the drivers seat) from Contempory Corvette in Bristol, PA. My EMT's are not worn out yet so will run them at least another year. If I bought tires today, I would get the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 non run flat (I don't know if they are offered in run flat). The only thing that bothers me is they are Y rated, not Z, but I will not be going that fast anyway.
Dean thx for your response, I've been on line and I noticed the different rating also, but like you I won't ever get above ninety. I'm going to take LT4MAN's advice, get the GY EAGLE F1-Gs-D3's (Cheapest so far at Tire Rack 192.00 R, 193.00 F) but will not put a spare tire rack under the car. I love all the stainless steel showing from behind. Since we have a bunch of people familiar with the EMT's & Tire Delete OEM, here is a question no one seems to know exactly. Did the 96 Corvette w/EMT's and "Tire Delete" OEM come standard with a jack & handle assembly?---THX

DCAATC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom