Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 Lt4 tire replacement

1996 LT4 Topic
Did the 96 Corvette w/EMT's and "Tire Delete" OEM come standard with a jack & handle assembly?---THX
DCAATC

My 96 had the spare and, if I remember correctly, the jack was in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat under the bin and the handle/lug wrench was behind the driver seat. It's been at least 18 months since I looked inside the 96 and my 92 has the jack stored in the spare tire's wheel.

I would hope that they continued to put the jack and wrench in the 96's even with spare tire delete. Do you have a jack?

Tuna said:
My 96 had the spare and, if I remember correctly, the jack was in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat under the bin and the handle/lug wrench was behind the driver seat. It's been at least 18 months since I looked inside the 96 and my 92 has the jack stored in the spare tire's wheel.

I would hope that they continued to put the jack and wrench in the 96's even with spare tire delete. Do you have a jack?
Hello Tuna,

I just bought an OEM jack from the local Chevy dealer, because eventhough I
have run flats, I do need to take the wheels off occasionally, to clean the back side of the wheel and wheel wells. Would still like to know from some of the others whose vehicle came with "Run Flats" and "Tire Delete" OEM whether or not they had the OEM Jack ASSY.--- THX: DCAATC

DCAATC--I did not have a jack or jack handle but then I'm the fourth owner. I wanted to have a jack for the very reason you did. Also, I like to take the load off the ball joints while greasing. I like your idea of not installing the spare even tho I have one purchased. Been thinking about a tire pump and some kind of tire repair kit, probably the "rope" kind. I still have to find out how the jack handle is held down behind the drivers seat. Apparently some time after 92 the jack and/or jack handle was moved to inside the car.

Dean Barker said:
DCAATC--I did not have a jack or jack handle but then I'm the fourth owner. I wanted to have a jack for the very reason you did. Also, I like to take the load off the ball joints while greasing. I like your idea of not installing the spare even tho I have one purchased. Been thinking about a tire pump and some kind of tire repair kit, probably the "rope" kind. I still have to find out how the jack handle is held down behind the drivers seat. Apparently some time after 92 the jack and/or jack handle was moved to inside the car.
Dean , I didn't have a jack either, but did have the handle, located behind and below the drivers seat. It is held in place by two "wing nuts" . The jack on mine is located in the dual storage compartment behind the passenger seat. It is held in place by a molded styrofoam block. The storage compartment behind the drivers seat (the other half) is bolted shut because it contains ABS equipment and should not be opened. Hopefully someone who has owned the car from day one with "Run Flats" and "Tire Delete" OEM will be able to let us know whether or not the car came with the "Jack Assembly". I have feelers out on suggestions for the tire situation, as I want to keep the car as stock as possible, but the price for the EMT's is getting out of hand and those GY EAGLE F1 GS D3's are looking better all the time.

THX Again,

DCAATC

dcaatc said:
Dean , I didn't have a jack either, but did have the handle, located behind and below the drivers seat. It is held in place by two "wing nuts" . The jack on mine is located in the dual storage compartment behind the passenger seat. It is held in place by a molded styrofoam block. The storage compartment behind the drivers seat (the other half) is bolted shut because it contains ABS equipment and should not be opened. Hopefully someone who has owned the car from day one with "Run Flats" and "Tire Delete" OEM will be able to let us know whether or not the car came with the "Jack Assembly". I have feelers out on suggestions for the tire situation, as I want to keep the car as stock as possible, but the price for the EMT's is getting out of hand and those GY EAGLE F1 GS D3's are looking better all the time.

THX Again,

DCAATC
Hello Everyone,
Guess we should all go back and spend an hour with our owners manuals! Pg 5-23 of the 1996 Corvette owners manual states: Note that if you have chosen the spare tire delete option your vehicle is not equipped with a jack or wheel wrench, but does have a wheel lock key and wheel nut socket. Read the whole section for location of the equipment as it is different for each vehicle/options---DCAATC

dumb question, but when do you guys hear the tire noise on the GSC runflats. i hear a hum above 60mph. i'm wondering if it is the tires or a bearing in the diff. i replaced both rear wheel bearings and the rear universal joints.

pettsir said:
dumb question, but when do you guys hear the tire noise on the GSC runflats. i hear a hum above 60mph. i'm wondering if it is the tires or a bearing in the diff. i replaced both rear wheel bearings and the rear universal joints.
I had no idea how loud my rear GS-C's were until I put on the GS-D3's. Suddenly I could hear my exhaust! The D3's are awesome. Much smoother too. No good in an inch of snow though. (Just found that out Tuesday.)

Ken

I was sick with the flu for the past week and a half (Bad strain of it, be careful!) so I missed all of your comments & questions about the "spare tire delete" option. Dcaatc is absolutely correct. I happen to obsess about Corvettes (who doesn't?) and I have a reputation around Chicago of knowing everything about them that most people don't. Like how many 92 LT1s were built with the 3.08 gear at the beginning of the production run. But, I digress. I ordered my 96 with "spare tire delete" & received a $100 credit. Mainly because the general did not have to supply tire, jack & lug wrench. IMHO, I feel the aluminum brace that is installed along with the clean look from behind more than compensates for any inconvenience. One more small note: the original EMT's are good if you don't mind feeling like you are driving on an ice skating pond in the middle of summer. And the smoothness & quietness that comes with the F1s allowed me to hear more of my exhaust. And that's a good thing, no?

Just to make sure you guys know... both W and Y ratings are _higher_ than Z rating.

Z rating is weird because it means testing was done at 'above 149'. Where all the other ratings are maximums (168mph for W, 186mph for Y). So really what Z rating means is that the tire's maximum safe speed is some unknown quantity above 149mph. Which may or may not be better or worse than the 186mph rating on a Y rated tire, but has no particular reason to be higher than 150mph.

Z rating is an older standard from when tire manufacturers believed that 150mph was the fastest anyone would go. Due to the unspecific nature of the designation, it's being phased out in favor of the more specific W and Y ratings.

Skant is absolutely correct. But, just to confuse the issue even more: When I purchased my GY F1 GS D3's, they had the "Z" rating on the tire! So, I guess the question is: Is my "Z" rating like the old "Z" rating, or did GY change something? Reality is: I do not drive over 100 mph on any regular basis. So, I am good to go!

If you look at the sidewall of the tire, you'll see it says "285/40-ZR17 100Y". The Y is the speed rating, with 100 being a load rating (not sure what load!). They 100Y part is an industry-standard code.

It would make more sense to me to call them 285/40-YR17, but they are good for 186mph. That'll do.

Thanks to all for the explanation of the speed ratings; I was wondering about them. I think I hear the noise from the runflats all the time; the faster you go the more noise they make. The Vette is parked for the winter so really can't remember. Sounds like the Goodyears are the best but the Firehawks are less money but maybe make a little more noise? A neighbor bought the Firehawks and his wife thought they were still noisy; maybe just her opinion?

Get rid of the run flats!!!

lt4man said:
I am really puzzled by the fact that you want to put run-flats back on your car. You need to ride in some other C4's that have had the tires replaced with non-run-flats. Then you will understand why no one replaces the run-flats with run-flats. Don't take my word for it. See for yourself. Good luck in your quest! (See my post earlier in this thread)
I had GSC RF on just the front. When I replaced them, that C4 rattle trap mystique dissapeared. Thank God!

gs-d3

I currently have a mismatched set of tires on my vette (from previous owner) and bought a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s and am waiting to have them mounted. My rear tires have no more than about 1 to 0.5 mm tread left on them and I want to do a good burn out before I have them swapped and then after that Ill have to try not to grind the others down too much:D

btw the set cost me a total of $856 + or - a dollar or two. and as an added bonus they are giving out $75 dollar gas cards with the purchase of a full set.

Dear ShaneL and all the rest of you on this thread:
You will be thrilled when you finally have the GS D3's on your car. I am still thrilled every time I look at or drive my car. I have gotten comments from others. People have never seen a tread pattern like that one. Some people actually think that the tire is custom-made. The greatest thing is the fact that they work and they are quiet. Now I can hear my exhaust. Isn't that what it's all about?

Does anyone know how much rubber is still left on the tire until you start to wear down to the belts? I only have an extremely faint tread on my current tires.

thx

F1 supercar

I am having some F1 Supercar tires put on today. They get my vote.
Original equipment on the Z06 can't be all bad...

tires

I love my GY-D3's.Super sticky,especially amazing in wet weather.just my 2 cents.

Go without the run flats and do what I do...that's carry a tire plug kit which is small and will fit in either compartment and carry a small air pump which plugs into the lighter...granted it's a short term fix and you have to know how to plug a tire but it will get you going to where you need to...99% of flats are slow leaks and you can usually just pump up the tire to get you where you are going..good luck

I have had my GY F1's for about 9 months now and have not had any problems. I have had the chance to drive with the tires in all kinds of road/track condidtions and was really suprised how well it holds even on a wet surface.

I drive the Vette everyday and on weekends do local runs all over So Cal. I have not had any problems and even if I did, there is always have a cell phone to call AAA or ? if needed.

I am sure you will be as pleased as I am should you go with the F1's.

:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom