Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 vs GS (mostly a discussion of brakes)

1996 LT4 Topic
J

Justin_cv87

LT4 vs GS

The LT4 and Grand Sport both have the same engine right? they are both the same year car, and both Corvettes, so, my question is: What is the difference between them? (besides the paint job, and how rare they are) becuause the LT4 is cheaper the the GS and i would like a red vette, although the GS paint job is pretty good, i wouldnt want to paint over it, that would ruin the car. so if the LT4 is cheaper, and just as or almost as good as a GS, then im gona have to buy an LT4. By June, should have enough money saved up as a down payment to get a loan for the rest, and work it off before summer is done, with a little extra for mods! Well, let me know ne differences between the 2 cars so i make the right choice. and thanks for the info!

Justin,

Other than the mistque that surrounds the original 5 Grand Sport, which is in some small part transfered to the newer '96 Grand Sports, the standard LT4 Corvette and the '96 Grand Sports are pretty much the same.

I think the biggest diffrence in the two cars (other than the paint) is that the Grand Sports had the best brakes of any Corvette to date. The coupes also had 1 1/2 inch fender flares to accomidate the larger 315 series tires on the rear.

When you get right down to it, when you buy a Grand Sport, your paying for the mistque of the Grand Sport, the rarity of the car, better brakes, and bigger tires. Which, IMO is very much worth it.

So if you want an awesome car that you can mod like crazy, the standard LT4 is a great choice. But if your willing to part with a little extra cash, you'll get all that, topped off by an amazing paint job, a free membership to the Grand Sport Registry:D, and awesome brakes too.

Jason

P.S. I moved this thread to the LT4 Forum. You'll probably get more replies there.:w

thanks, the GS is a great car, and its phat to own a newer verson of the old GS's but i dont have that extra cash :(, plus i like red vettes and wouldnt want to paint over the hash marks. and thanks for movin it, when i saw the LT4 fourm i was tryin to figure out if i could move it myself.

You cant go wrong either way! Guy

The Grand Sports are quick eye catchers. You don't see too many of them around and everyone will give it second and third looks. Plus, I like the black five spoke wheels.

Originally posted by twiget
the Grand Sports had the best brakes of any Corvette to date.

I was re-reading this and thought I should clear something up. The way I have it stated now, it sounds like the GS's have the best brakes ever, even better than the C5's, which is not true.

I guess a better way of stating it would be that the GS's had the best brakes of any Corvette up to '96.

Just a small error, but I dont want to be putting out incorrect info now...:L

Jason:w

I feel the GS is more of a collector car, to be brought out on nice sunny summer sunday afternoons.... And to car shows. They are fewer, and specially made. I have never seen one on normal streets.

Where as the LT4'd Corvettes are more daily driver cars. Normal paint, normal interior, etc. But is has the Grand Sport power. This is just my humble opinion.

I think the GS is an awesome looking and highest performance Corvette ever(up to that time)... thats why i HAD to have that engine.

John

all lt4's have big brakes.....................

Actually, all 96's have big brakes, but the Grand Sport and Collector Edition had different brakes.... You can tell becuase they say "Corvette" on the front caliper, and are painted black from the factory

the brakes aren't different.....only the silver lettering (that says corvette) on the top piece of the caliper is different..

the brakes are different, which is why the CE and GS cars require a different rotor. Check one of your Corvette parts catalogs, you will find different parts for standard '96 and GS/CE's

Hate to be a stickler for the details, I know for a fact that the GS's do indeed have heavy duty brakes, there is even an RPO code for it, J55, Brake System, Heavy Duty, which are over and above the standard LT4 brakes.

As for the CE's having the heavy duty brakes, it's news to me, but it wouldnt be the first time I learned something new about these cars.:)

Jason

Red LT4 GS - I agree with u !

lt4 gs said:
the brakes aren't different.....only the silver lettering (that says corvette) on the top piece of the caliper is different..

It's only the Pretty stuff the GS & CE have different, the pads and brake rotor are the same size, with the same stopping ability.

GM would not open themselves up for liability per the same beast of an engine under the hood/LT4 with different/wimpy brakes.

The brakes are the same size, but the calipers and rotors are different. Check out Corvette America's web site. Here is the search that I just ran http://www.corvetteamerica.com/main.cfm?function=catalog&cfid=718270&cftoken=56682499&r=39000467872

it specifically calls for a different rotor for 1996 Grand Sport / Collector / Export

and the standard 88-96 rotor with heavy duty brakes is listed as Except GS/Collector

There is also a web site that compares the two different calipers. I will try to find it so you can check it out.

Mad-Mic said:
John bite your tongue! no 4D (ford) should be mentioned in any corvette marque! :nono

:D

Mad-Mic... doh! :duh

twiget said:
Hate to be a stickler for the details, I know for a fact that the GS's do indeed have heavy duty brakes, there is even an RPO code for it, J55, Brake System, Heavy Duty, which are over and above the standard LT4 brakes.

As for the CE's having the heavy duty brakes, it's news to me, but it wouldnt be the first time I learned something new about these cars.:)

Jason
My LT4 has the J55 option(High perf. brake pkg.) I thought all LT4 cars had this option. Guy

The J55 brakes are the heavy duty brakes and all 96's came with them. On the GS's and CE's the calipers and rotors are slightly different . The rotors are no better , the calipers look like they may be slightly better when compared side by side because they are a bit more stout in places (and they are painted and have the lettering on them). When I replace mine , I will buy the GS calipers and rotors because they look nice and are not that much more.

With regard to performance , they are essentially the same.

If you want to get bang for the buck and run and mod the car definitely get a RPO LT4. From a performance standpoint only the larger rear tires give the GS any sort of advantage and that is slight.

I think that is what I said......mostly:hb :hb :hb :hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom