Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 LT4 vs GS (mostly a discussion of brakes)

1996 LT4 Topic
My roadster has HD brakes and a 3.73 gear. I wanted a GS conv. but just couldnt stand the white top so I started looking for something a little different. drive em all. ITS still a VETTE.

Shriker said:
The J55 brakes are the heavy duty brakes and all 96's came with them. On the GS's and CE's the calipers and rotors are slightly different . The rotors are no better , the calipers look like they may be slightly better when compared side by side because they are a bit more stout in places (and they are painted and have the lettering on them). When I replace mine , I will buy the GS calipers and rotors because they look nice and are not that much more.

Ya learn something new every day. :)

Jason

wow, yall really step up to defend your brake info :L its good to get to the truth tho.

As already stated, all 96's came with J55 brakes. Besides appearance (paint, rims, calipers) and 315 rear tires the cars are the same.

How rare are they? GS coupes made = 1000, Red coupes and verts w/ LT4 = ~967.

Really can't go wrong!

The OEM rotors center hub also have a non-corrosive coating on the CE and GS option brakes. Reason is they are equipped with the five spoke wheels and the hub is in plain view. The coating keeps the hub from rusting and looking bad as mileage racks up.
Not sure if the standard brakes also have the same rotor type with the coating.

I put the GS calipers on the front of my J55 standard equipped torch red LT4 last summer. I also used the sport rotor from vette brakes in Fl. that are used on all J55 set ups. If there is any difference, it appears to be transparent as my brakes are working very well.

Brakes

My brake calipers are louvered silver-grey--no sign of Corvette names or markings-Are they the same as the GS(size) I have know idea--I have a basic LT4--John:w

I have a red LT4 as well. I would love to have a GS, but was not willing to pay the extra cash. Now I have money to enjoy and baby my car through the years. This was going to be my "starter" Vette and I was going to work up to a nice C5. Now I can't imagine letting her go! You can't go wrong either way.

The reason I replied is I thought I've seen pictures of a red coupe with red hashes. Maybe someone put the hashes on? Were any GS's custom ordered red?

chetzki

LT4 GS has a red GS with white stripes and hashes (photo looks awesome), but I thought they were all Admiral Blue from the factory. That's what the model center has on its GS info as well.

LT4 GS--did you have your car painted red or was there a red paint scheme for the GS? Amos

AmosF16 said:
LT4 GS has a red GS with white stripes and hashes (photo looks awesome), but I thought they were all Admiral Blue from the factory. That's what the model center has on its GS info as well.

LT4 GS--did you have your car painted red or was there a red paint scheme for the GS? Amos

It was custom painted to the factory specs of the gs option......
that's why it says #1 of #1..............actually according to the build sheet....there are only 60.....exactly like it. I liked red and I wanted a GS........so I ordered it and painted it, a mere 7 years ago!:w

My brake calipers are louvered silver-grey--no sign of Corvette names or markings-Are they the same as the GS(size) I have know idea

They are the same size and use the same brake pads... the only difference is cosmetic.

Actually, the J55 brake option is out of the ZR-1 parts bin. ZR-1's came with these brakes standard, and they were an option on others. All 95/96 vettes got the J55 brakes standard.

They do make a difference. I have them on my '92. I took it a step further, and have drilled rotors.

brakes

My 96 LT4 Coupe is Tourch Red and it has the J55 option but my caliper holds the same brake as the GS but it does not have the Corvette letters on it ( I wish it did) Will the GS caliper bolt on my Vette???

Topless said:
Actually, the J55 brake option is out of the ZR-1 parts bin. ZR-1's came with these brakes standard, and they were an option on others. All 95/96 vettes got the J55 brakes standard.

They do make a difference. I have them on my '92. I took it a step further, and have drilled rotors.

You need to go farther back. They were included with the 1988 Z51 option. If this was in preperation for the ZR-1 Chevy was dumb as hell. As the 13" brakes are a joke when trying to scrub speeds from 100, much less 180.

Forgot to add, as far as any differences inbetween the black GS and CE calipers and the stock J55's, I highly doubt there is any difference in braking. As they provide the same amount of clamping force. The only possible advantage might be a more solid block, instead of the finned design. Which might flex a tad bit less.

Jeffvett
You need to go farther back. They were included with the 1988 Z51 option. If this was in preperation for the ZR-1 Chevy was dumb as hell. As the 13" brakes are a joke when trying to scrub speeds from 100, much less 180.

You think the 13" are bad from that speed, try it with the 12" stuff! :eek

Wasn't sure about the Z-51 optioned vettes. I had heard rumor though. Good to know.

Have you tried different rotors? Might help. I have not run the stock rotors to compare, but I like the drilled ones.

Topless said:
You think the 13" are bad from that speed, try it with the 12" stuff! :eek

Wasn't sure about the Z-51 optioned vettes. I had heard rumor though. Good to know.

Have you tried different rotors? Might help. I have not run the stock rotors to compare, but I like the drilled ones.

Two things GM cheaped out on in doing the ZR-1. The radiator and the brakes.

I've gone to a Ron Davis to combat the cooling. As far as the brakes......

Changed to hawk pads, RIppie bias spring, KVR rotors cross drilled and slotted and zinc washed to keep them looking good with Motul fluid.

Still that wasn't enough. Now I've got a 4 piston Brembo (Porsche TT calipers) with 13.5 rotors to combat the fade issue on the track and high repeated high speed stops.

Take a look at these threads for pics.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=449806

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=455802

how much does the bias spring help?
What about the pads? Which Hawks/why?

Thanks....
Mike

Topless said:
how much does the bias spring help?
What about the pads? Which Hawks/why?

Thanks....
Mike

Bias spring nt sure as I changed everything out at once, But I notice the rear pads are being used more now.

As far as the pad, I was using the Hawk HPS up front which worked better than stock GM stuff, doesn't dust much and is quiet.

For the Brembos, I went with the Hawk HP+ which is a race compound. And will still be using the Hawk HPS on the rear with the J55 calipers.

Jeffvette said:
Two things GM cheaped out on in doing the ZR-1. The radiator and the brakes.

Hmmm, you spend tens of thousands of $$$ on a ZR-1 and they give you a big engine with mucho power, small brakes and a substandard radiator? Only from GM...:L :L :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom