Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Lug nut question

W

WhiteKnight

I have about 9 of the nuts that are bad and of course 9-10 studs that also need to be replaced. The front has 5 between the two hubs and I'm not sweating replacment on those.

All 5 of the left rear were so cross threaded I had to use a air lug wrench to remove the nuts.

My question is do I need to pull the spindle to replace them?

I'm replacing the parking brake hardware and it looks like there will be room, just woried about messing up the spindle and bearing.

Thanks.

Steve,
Before going to a whole lot of work replacing parts you might try just running a die (from a tap & die set) onto the stud to clean the threads up. I thought I had the same prob with ruined studs on the rear. I rethreaded them with a die and spun some new nuts on there... good as new. It turns out the old lugnuts had been installed and removed so many times over the years that some of the threads from the nuts were embedded into the threaded grooves in the studs. This caused the nuts to be very difficult to install and remove and the stud threads visually appeared to be bad. Cleaning them up saved me a bunch of time and work replacing them and they look perfect now.

good luck

lone73 is spot on. The threads from old nuts tend to come off on the studs. Spinning a die over the studs is a good idea. I would only add to use lots of oil, preferably "cutting and tapping oil" (I got mine from Sears in the Craftsman tools section). Leather gloves are handy, too-those threads are nasty sharp.

If you do have to change out the studs, the fronts are pretty typical, I have not done rears on a Corvette, so I'm no help there. I usually use an air hammer for removal and an air wrench, fresh lugnut and a small stack of flat washers to bring them in. Good luck. :)

Rick
:gap

Thanks guys.. I looked closer at the threads.. esp. the rear and looks like a die should clean them up. I'll get new lug nuts to replace the bad ones though.

I might add that you'll want to brush a dab of Anti-Seize on the studs as well. If you are running mags that use the "stepped" lug nuts, I also put a bit in the wheel openings and along the lug nut step-helps them run in that much easier, and won't gall the wheel. :)

Rick
:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom