Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

M38 Tranny???

Shawn's 78

Corvette
1978 Beige L48 4sp
So here's one for all you guru's out there...

In referancing material regarding the factory trailer package I have on my '78, my tranny is a "M38". :eek

When I had the car checked out by a Corvette shop in Denver (pre inspection before purchase), the mechanic mentioned he hadn't seen my type of tranny before. In fact he questioned if it was original and would have to do research (I dropped the issue at that point... for now).

But low and behold while I was reading a Chevy spec manual for that year it indicates that the trailer package conisists of: "V01 heavy duty radiator, standard engine with M38 transmission, and FE7 and FE7 Gymkhama suspension." I guess the trailer hitch takes the place of the rear stabilizer bar (since that is where it would go?). But that's another topic.

So I dig through the spec manuals and find nothing in referance to the M38 (gear ratio etc, etc.)

Anyone have any info on this tranny???:confused

M38

An M38 transmission is GM's designation for a turbo 350 automatic. It was used in corvette applications from 1976-1979. In 1980 they used a different version of the turbo 350(M33 and MV4) 1981 - MX3. The M33 I believe was used only on Calif. 305 cars. The MV4 and MX3 featured a lock up torque converter. In 1982 they went to the MD8 (700R4) over drive trans for the first time.

Dave

Shawn - I noticed in you car desciption that you have a four speed. Was you car originally an auto? Do you have the build sheet or window sticker? I went to look at a car several months ago for a freind of mine. The owner said it was an original four speed. I could tell by the crossmember and trans itself it was a auto originally.

Dave

Dave,

I have the build sheet, but I can't make it out (very faded). From everything I can determine, the setup is original. I went back through some old invoices and there is referance to "4sp".

So, I guess my next step would be to get the numbers of the tranny - I'll take a look later tonight.

Shawn

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom