Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MAF sensor screen

twiget

Corvette
In the market
At the moment I've got the MAF sensor and the associated hose pulled off the engine to clean it. I've heard people talking about removing the screen, supposed to improve air flow and what not.

After looking at the sensor, the elements used in it look rather delecate. Would there really be enough of a hp gain by removing the screen to justify the increased chance of damaging the MAF?

Jason

Ther's supposed to be a benefit Jason, but I think it's only good at WOT. If you do cut the screen out, just be careful of damaging the element inside, and be sure to use a quality air filter. ;)

_ken :w

To screen or not to screen......

The air flow is based on Vacuume from the engine not pressure from the front end ( unless you have some form of RAM air )

I would say NO, Lets be real about this... there is probably a >15 % restriction of air flow with both of the screens, this assumes that the curve of air flow is constant... remember the AIR demand is based on the intake valve's opening duration & frequency... so If you drive your car at WOT all the time...then MAYBE you could see an improvement on a dyno, but for daily driving. Naw I think not.

However a good K&N air filter a low restriction cover, and get rid of that acordian coupling tube and you will reduce restriction & turbulance of the air getting there..
( assuming the stock air filter is a bit clogged )

The screens are in for a reason... to keep little bits of stuff from flying into the intake & hitting ( breaking ) the wire or the engine backfiring and blowing bits of carbon foward. if you really feel the need to remove the screen take the back one off. Hey that would be a 50% improvment in air flow! Gotta call mid america marketing on this!:Silly

Mike

Originally posted by vingman
if you really feel the need to remove the screen take the back one off. Hey that would be a 50% improvment in air flow!

There is supposed to be two screens? My MAF only has one screen. On the front.

Also, you mentioned a smooth tube, I was thinking about just that, any tips on where I might find one? I've not seen them in Ecklers or Mid America.

And while I'm on the subject, any one have a used air filter lid they can sell me cheap? I want to cut the shroud off, let her breathe a little easier. And yep, she's got the K&N filter installed. First mod I did.:)

Jason

P.S. After reading your replys and talking with Mike (Stingray6974) I've decided to leave the screen on. Thanks for the help guys.

twiget said:
Also, you mentioned a smooth tube, I was thinking about just that, any tips on where I might find one?

If you would have stopped here when you were in the area, I would have given you one; it's just sitting on the shelf. :(

I took it back off because after spending way too much for the thing, I found out that it was more hassle than it was worth. Every time you have to take the air filter box off, you have to wrestle the thing around because there is no flex as has the accordion pleat connector.

I really don't think there is much of an improvement anyway, but I was the "s u c k e r" who happened to be born at that minute. :eyerole

Ken said:

If you would have stopped here when you were in the area, I would have given you one; it's just sitting on the shelf. :(

I took it back off because after spending way too much for the thing, I found out that it was more hassle than it was worth. Every time you have to take the air filter box off, you have to wrestle the thing around because there is no flex as has the accordion pleat connector.

I really don't think there is much of an improvement anyway, but I was the "s u c k e r" who happened to be born at that minute. :eyerole

Hey! I tried to get ahold of you, it just didnt work out.:cry

As for the hose, hopefully I wont be pulling the air box open too often, so I wont have to worry about it too much.

Jason

twiget said:

There is supposed to be two screens? My MAF only has one screen. On the front.

Also, you mentioned a smooth tube, I was thinking about just that, any tips on where I might find one? I've not seen them in Ecklers or Mid America.

I bought mine from Corvette Central - but they definately are a pain in the butt. Unless it is warm outside, be prepared for a battle to put it on. No flex whatsoever!

Screens

85-89 had 2 screens from there up I'm not sure.
Mike

air filter lid

I agree on leaving the MAF original.
But, installing a "cut-out" air cleaner lid, or cutting the front of yours off is well worth it. I purchased a stock original off a junked car and cut the whole front out. Metal lid is much stiffer than the aftermarket plastic ones I've seen. I put the original un-cut one back on for trips and winter driving, ect...,

The open lid and K & N filter combination works pretty well.

Yeah Tom, and many other parts if you want 'em. ;)

I e-mailed you the last time you asked me to and never heard back, I'm not falling for that again! :L

Sorry if I didn't return email but I don't remember getting one. I haven't seen you at the meetings or at a cruise either. I'll try to email you this time.

You could drill holes in the airbox lid and if it is done neatly it looks much better than a box that has had bits chopped out of it. Then you can add some flexable pipe to direct some cold fresh air to the air box. I have this on my daily driver with a pipe into the front grill area and a K&N filter.

I`m not sure it make any difference but it was cheap and sounds good.

J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom