Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Magnaflow 2.5-inch cat abck exhaust

Radar

Corvette
1989 Medium Blue Metalic Convertible
Is anybody running a newer type Magnaflow 2.5-inch cat back exhaust system on a 1985 to 1989 vintage L98? I was wondering if it has a bad resonance problem from 1500 to 2000 rpm? I don't want something super loud. Magnaflow says the system is great, but I think they may be biased.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

Radar

I have the Magnaflows for my 96 LT-4 and I really like them. No resonance problems for me.

I know that the 96 has a different exhaust configuration than the L98. With my convertible, I was worried about the drone.

Thanks,
Radar

Yeah, they are a different design. Hopefully someone else will have experience to share.

For what it is worth I like mine.

Good luck.

i put a dual 2.5" ravin muffler on mine (85) and it's too loud inside the car b/t 1100-2000. I did see in the corvette central catalog they sell a mandrel bent rear pipe with a crossover tube in front of the muffs that is supposed to eliminate this int. resonance on our cars. I plan to have the crossover pipe installed on mine next week, i'll let ya know if it helps.

Resonance is that drone/hum that comes at certain RPM range. It can be very annoying to say the least. From my understanding most aftermarket exhausts have some level of resonance (except Corsa, which I can attest to). Even the exhaust on my pickup has a resonance that is irritating between 1200-1700 rpm, thank God cruising speed is at 2000 rpm. The hum/drone, some people say, doesn’t bother them…until they have to listen to it for a couple of hours. It’ll drive you crazy, at least it does me.

I have been thinking of redoing my exhaust with the something as quiet as possible. Then for the times I want to hear the engine, install a set of cutouts.Maybe some electric controled ones so they are there one demand .:D Get the best of both worlds that way. I tried eliminating my mufflers, pipe in thier place. Bad idea with my convertible. Sound carries over the back into the car. My wife couldn't even use the cell phone at cruising speed.

Glenn
:w

I put 2.5" magnaflow SS on my 86 convertible last year. I have experienced no resolution probllems and they sound great! Definetly would go that route again. If you decide to check prices remember that they can only quote so low on the internet and you need to phone the people to get their lowest prices.

Mod

Dude, what mods are you running. I thinking about sell or trading my 87 to get a camaro..... but I don;t know no after hearning you scream down the road. If I can hipe mine up to make it run like yours.... I'll keep her.

My Magnaflow will have a bit of a drone sound when RPM is below 1400 (cruising). I never drive with the RPM that low so it is no big deal to me. The system looks great and sounds great.
Here is a little sound clip. Unfortunatly only a small portion of clip is at idle.
Long tube headers, no cats.
http://media.putfile.com/Paint-It-Black-With-Yellow

Dude, what mods are you running. I thinking about sell or trading my 87 to get a camaro..... but I don;t know no after hearning you scream down the road. If I can hipe mine up to make it run like yours.... I'll keep her.

Block
bored .030 decked .020
crank turned 10/10
Clevite 77 bearings
Speed pro hyper flat tops, -6cc valve reliefs, polished tops
polished stock rods with ARP bolts
cloyes true roller timing set
Comp cam CS XE262H-14 Lift In .464 Ex .470 Duration @.050 In .218 Ex .224
Comp cams lifters
balanced on a Hines
felpro 1010 .039 head gaskets
10.5 static 8.5 dynamic compression

Heads #128
Port matched,valve pockets,ports and chambers ported and/or polished
Crane 1.6 roller rockers
ARP rocker studs
Crane stepped guide plates
Crane push rods
LT4 springs
Guides machined and bronze liners installed
Deck resurfaced
Stainless undercut valves
3 angle valve job
Felpro viton seals on all valves

Intake
Super ram, port matched top to bottom
52mm TB with air foil
smile5.gif

Bosch 22lb injectors
Holley AFPR
No EGR
No AIR pump

Exhaust
Headman Elite long tubes with heated O2 in one and wideband in other
NO cats
Magnaflow catback

It was a budget rebuild in the sense i did 99% of the work myself and searched for deals on ebay and forums.
My goal was a motor that could still like long cruises, city traffic and have the torque to go sideways on demand. I think it worked out fine. :D

man is clip cool you guys were having way to much fun. you can,t help hearing that one cat laughing in background as you lit them up. you really got me thinking about changing mufflers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom