Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Magnaflow or Corsa?

Nick S

Oh yes, the age old question, "Which exhaust system should I buy?". I've read just about every post about exhaust systems and I've narrowed it down to one of these two. The Corsa is an entire system from the cats back and is much more expensive than the Magnaflow. The Magnaflow is essentially a replacement set of mufflers and is much less expensive than the Corsa. Both companies claim similar performance gains. My biggest question with the Magnaflow is why did they choose not to provide new pipes from the cats to the mufflers. It seems to me that there would be efficiency to be gained in new pipes. However, I've read others (mainly people with Magnaflow exhausts) that have said the stock system is efficient enough and that the main restriction is within the mufflers.

At any rate, which of these two systems would you recommend and why? The opinions of those with first hand experience with either of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any and all responses.

Nick

I've got the Corsa...My main concern was the resonance in the interior of the car at cruising speed. Corsa is the only one that claims NO resonance and that's what I got. Interior at cruising speed is as quiet as stock, but when you romp on it she howls like a tiger. Definiately got what I paid for, and I have no resonance.

toms94 said:
I've got the Corsa...My main concern was the resonance in the interior of the car at cruising speed. Corsa is the only one that claims NO resonance and that's what I got. Interior at cruising speed is as quiet as stock, but when you romp on it she howls like a tiger. Definiately got what I paid for, and I have no resonance.

I too have the Corsa on my '92 and would second all these comments but the one about being as quiet as stock. I think they are actually quieter. As for howling, it depends on your point of reference, my '67 has side pipes.:D

Corsa hands down. Did you know they consult with a NASA Engineer for their sound/noise technology? They do.

Quality/customer service/ reputation is top notch.

I just did my LT4 a couple of months ago.

Magnaflow 3" x-pipe in place of resonator

3" custom bent alumininzed pipe

Magnaflow 3" polished stainless steel mufflers

Magnaflow custom polished stainless steel tips w/ resonators

This system works! Runs like a banshee! More HP and torque all through the band!

Magnaflow knows what they are doing!

No resonance at all. I can hear people talk to me. The sound OUTSIDE the car is phenomenal!

SAVE THE WAVE! :w

CORSA - great sound, no resonance inside, did not effect conservation inside or radio/stereo enjoyment.

Dyno showed 22 HP gain and similar torque gain from stock - that's says a lot right there.

This was on my ex-92 LT1 that had been LT4-tified - heads, intake, Hot Cam, new chip, etc.

Grizzly said:
I too have the Corsa on my '92 and would second all these comments but the one about being as quiet as stock. I think they are actually quieter. As for howling, it depends on your point of reference, my '67 has side pipes.:D

OK, I stand corrected and would agree that it's probably more quiet than the stock at cruise. And as far as howling at WOT, I'm sure it doesn't compare to your sidepiped 67, those babies sounded great.

A few years ago I too was kickin' around the Corsa/Magnaflow decision. I decided on the Magnaflows and have no regrets. For the price, you can't beat the sound & quality. From what I've read & from the pics I've seen posted, the later model C4's (95-96 I believe) have a better resonator. The pipe diameter does not shrink down inside the resonator like the earlier ones do (I've seen pics posted w/ one off a '96 cut in 1/2) so you virtually have a straight through design. The '96 LT4's use 2-3/4" pipe stock so, for me, why would I want to go w/ replacing all the pipe w/ 2-1/2" (what the Corsa is). The Magnaflows come w/ about 2' of mandrel bent 3" pipe so you just make a cut and slide the new pipe over & weld.

I'm not slammin' Corsa because it's a good system but for my '96 the Magnaflows just seemed to make more sense. I used the money I saved for other upgrades. Heck, I paid $330 shipped for my exhaust...what does a Corsa catback go for shipped? 3x that or more!

The general consensus is that the Corsa are virtually resonance free which for some is a major concern. When I got my exhaust my car was stock and I really wasn't too concerned about resonance, I just wanted it to sound good! Coincidentally, it sounded real good and the resonance (if any) was minimal at best. Now w/ longtube headers and no cats my car sounds great yet still retains that Magnaflow deep rumble tone to it. I've heard the Corsas on many a C4 and, to me, they sort of have that tinny sound. Just my .02 so to each his own ...

Here's an old (pre-modded) soundclip of my car w/ just the Magnaflows:
http://www.ewyndsong.com/Jeff/.jpg0016.WAV

IMO, either way you can't go wrong cuz the stock LTx exhaust sounds anemic! Let me add, if I were to switch exhausts at this point, I'd probably go w/ the B&B 3". Great sounding system! Also has that deep exhaust note.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

My coupe had Magnoflows when I bought it, 40 series I think but not sure. Anyway, very loud and at cruising speed, Christ!!!!! Drove it 1200 miles home and had a headache that would not quit. I ordered Corsa system that week. Guess I'm too old for the loud noise :ugh but none the less have been very happy with Corsa. This is my daily driver.

:w

LlanoBill said:
My coupe had Magnoflows when I bought it, 40 series I think but not sure.

The 40 series are a Flowmaster muffler.

JEFNLSA said:
The 40 series are a Flowmaster muffler.

You're right....senior moment! They were stainless magnaflows though. Sold to another C4 owner, probably on the cheap side, here locally. That was 15 months ago and as far as I know, the system is still on his car.

Take a look at the Borla systems, too. They seem to be about mid-way in price between Corsa and Magnaflow. Several times I have found myself liking the sound of a Camaro SS or, in one case, a 1990 Corvette going by, and I've noticed they've got Borla exhausts. They seem to me to have more depth and fulness/presence in sound than other units I've listened to. You can hear this for yourself when you compare sound clips on the various manufacturers' websites. Obviously, the same car is not being compared on all the sites, but the Borla "muscle V8" clip always seems to sound deeper and more formidable than the others, regardless of the particular car.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Nick,

I just put a pair of magnaflows on my LT-4 less than a month ago. They sound awesome. I'm in Alexandria (west end) so if you ever want to shoot by for a listen, just let me know.
:beer
Jeff

Corsa or Magnaflow, either way, those black C4 coupes look great. Anyone want to trade for a red convertible with a hard top equal or close to 38k miles and new tires let me know, but do it fast, Ive been looking for the best price for a set of Magnaflows...after hearing jeffs sound clip, Im sold, the only thing Im concerned with is the interior resonance. I was listening to sound clips on UTUBE and in my opinion, flowmasters were tingy and corsa sounded good but I want the deeper tone and muffler eliminators sounded to raw. Just my opinion though

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom