Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Magnetic Drain Plug

mangusta1969

Corvette
92 CR1;04 C5; 91 Aerobody Vert (nonTT)
Most of my cars have magnetic oil drain plugs in them. This is one of those small items that can't hurt you and just might be a big help if it traps some metallic particles and alerts you to a small problem (before it becomes a big problem).

So when I removed the break-in Valvoline 30 wt oil from my DRM 368 motor to replace it with Mobil1 10W-30, I thought it would be a good idea to change out the factory non-magnetic drain plug for a magnetic plug. I found out two things: the ZR1 oil drain plug is a pretty unique item and nobody seems to stock or even make a magnetic drain plug for the LT5 motor. I suspect damaged or lost drain plugs can only be replaced by the Chevy dealer. None of the auto parts places that I checked (NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone, World AutoParts) had a listing for any drain plugs to fit the LT5 motor.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket magnetic drain plug for the LT5 motor? If not, I plan on epoxying one of those super strong neodymium magnets into a new LT5 standard drain plug and creating my own magnetic particle attractor.

BTW, my oil pressure with the Mobil1 oil at oil operating temperatures (185 plus) seems to have increased about by about 5psi at both idle and at speed.
My idle pressure is now 40 psi and my pressure at 2000 rpm cruise is about 65 psi. Prior to changing the oil yesterday, I thought the Mobil1 pressures might be a bit lower than the single weight Valvoline oil. How do these pressures compare to other LT5 motors with synthetic oil in them?

I am using a new Bosch 3401 oil filter in this motor, but plan to switch to a Hastings synthetic media or Motorcraft synthetic media filter, if I can find one that fits the LT5. If not, I may switch to the pricey Mobil1 filter (MI-207). These Mobil1 filters go out the door here in Fire Diego at $12!!

I wasn't even aware that my LT5 drain plug was not magnetic. Weird. That's also strange nobody carries one in stock that will fit. I curently run the Mobil 1 oil & filter. It is pricey, but I change the oil only 3 times a year at most so it's not to bad.

Jay

Take your drain plug to one of the "warehouse" parts stores. They typically have a full line of aftermarket magnetic drain plugs in metric or english with varied thread pitches.

If all else fails, you can make your own after visiting your local hardware store. ;)

ZR1 Drain Plug

Eric,

We don't have much in the way of warehouse parts stores here in San Diego. Pep Boys is about the closest thing and they had nothing, along with several other stores that I checked.

The ZR1 drain plug measures .6 inches in diameter (about 15mm), with 20 threads per inch. It is very similar in size to a 5/8 inch x 20 bolt, but I think it is a metric fitting. As my drain plug is now back in the motor, does anyone know for sure?

I am using a write mag from a hard drive on the oil pan until I can locate and order for my car

Disk drive magnets were what I planned to use on the drain plug. I am guessing that you epoxied the disk drive magnet inside the oil pan. Is that correct?

If you attached the disk drive magnet to the outside of the oil pan, were you able to verify a good magnetic field through the pan (either with your pan or another)?

Steve

We use some of those super magnet's on the outside of the oil filter to help attract any foreign metal .

Man the drive mags stick so hard to the outside of the pan it can't help but provide a good field inside.

My ZR1 pan is aluminum, so I don't think anything short of electronic supermagnets will stick to that and the Corvette alternator if definitely not up to that task. That's why I was asking about the epoxy attachment.

I have been using some disk drive magnets on oil filters for years. Might not help much, but it cannot hurt things. BTW, where is the best place to put the magnets -- on the circular end surface of the oil filter or on the sides of the filter?

Tried many years ago to get magnetic oil drain plug. They are non-existent as far as I'm concerned. You can always drill for a second plug if you have the pan off. Glued magnet inside is good idea, but it won't let you see particles for monitoring purposes.
Mike

I couldn't find any sources for magnetic drain plugs for the ZR1, so I bought a standard drain plug from the dealer ($11plus !!!). I was planning to make my own magnetic plug from some high strength disk drive magnets and epoxy.

However, I just located a source and ordered a magnetic plug today from a guy in Canada. When it appears here I will test the magnet strength and then install it and let you guys know how it works. The price: $11.00; must be something about these ZR1 plugs...

For those inquiring minds out there, the ZR1 plug is 5/8 inch in diameter and has 18 threads per inch. It is 1/2 inch in length.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom