Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Magnetic Ride Control - 50th anniverary triumph or a big yawn? Will it make it to C6?

JBsC5

Magnetic Ride Control

New on the Corvette for 2003, Magnetic Selective Ride Control uses a revolutionary damper design that controls wheel and body motion with Magneto-Rheological fluid in the shocks . By controlling the current to an electromagnetic coil inside the piston of the damper, the MR fluid’s consistency can be changed, resulting in continuously variable real time damping. As a result, drivers feel a greater sense of security, a quieter, flatter ride and more precise, responsive handling, particularly during sudden, high-speed maneuvers.

The system isolates and smoothes the action of each tire, resulting in less bouncing, vibration and noise. On bumpy or slick surfaces, the system integrates with traction control to assure maximum stability. It also works with ABS to keep the vehicle balanced and poised. It is the only system without electro-mechanical values and no small moving parts. It consists of MR fluid-based monotube shock absorbers, a sensor set and on-board controller.

Magnetic Selective Ride Control is available on Corvette coupe and convertible models for 2003.

More standard equipment

Corvette adds new standard equipment on coupe and convertible models for 2003, including foglamps, sport seats, power passenger seat, dual zone auto HVAC (on coupe and convertible), and a parcel net and luggage shade on coupe.

Not sure if you're asking a question, but just in case:

My one and only ride in the Pace Car the week before last (April 10th, at Indy Motor Speedway) was in the 50th Anniversary model, "Shale" interior, Anniversary Red. They all were equipped with the Selective Magnetic Ride Control.

During the "hot laps" around the track at up to 140mph (Sport setting only), my first impression was that the system works and very well indeed. It imparts a smoothness to the ride that no previous system has been able to match.The body roll was minimal and the grip on the track was way better than what I would have expected (although the pace cars are equipped with the Z06 tires on stock rims).

I was very impressed. Personally, I skipped the F45 option on my 2002 Coupe, not wanting to get into a ride control system that has gotten very mixed reviews.

If I were to buy a new 2003, I'd definitely consider the F55 based on what I felt JUST in Sport mode. The Touring mode is supposed to give a limosine ride that isolates the occupants from the road, probably just what some people want when traveling long distances on the Interstates.

I'm waiting for some comprehensive road tests on the system before I'll consider trading up. But, initially, I think it's an awesome concept, based on the Caddy STS system, only better.

That Anniversary Red sure looks like Magnetic Red to me. How did it look in person?

Hard to say, without the two colors side by side. I think it's several shades darker than Magnetic Red. It's a beautiful metalic-wine color. It's not for me. Still, if you gave me one, I'd keep it..no problem.

What you can't see from this photo is the INTERIOR - SHALE. THATS NICE!

The new Magnetic Selective Ride was in fact taken from the C6. As Dave Hill said it was pulled forward to use in the 50th. They showed a film on it at the Birthday Bash and most that watched seem to be amazed.

I can get the atachment to work. So I will post the pic It shows the 50th coupe an convertible with a Mag Red coupe in the background. You can see colors are in no way the same.

anni1.jpg

(although the pace cars are equipped with the Z06 tires on stock rims).

Is this on the stock C5 sized rims or on larger zo6 rims.

Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to thank you for the photo of the cars at the track...wow..that wine color is quite attractive with the sunlight hitting it.

Beautiful

Unless they've upped the size of the painted stock wheel - which I doubt, they're identical to the standard rim for model year 2002 EXCEPT they're "Champaign" gold, a very attractive light gold that blends perfectly with the Anniversary Red. Again, they NOT the Z06 rims.

I hope you can pull up the Pace Car shot included here, it shows the polished optional wheel - hopefully you can see the Z06 tires on those rims.

What's interesting is that I was told by one of the Corvette engineers that the Z06 tires (non run-flat SuperCar) on the stock rims made a good car even better, and that this was a not an uncommon setup for the few lucky GM guys who get to drive these cars home from work. I remember asking "Z06 tire will fit, no problems?" The answer was an unequivocal "yup".

The next day at the track I saw this setup with my own eyes and got a few 140 mph laps around the Brickyard, and felt the lateral g's with my own posterior. Awesome is the only appropriate description.

But please bear in mind that while these cars were largely stock ('cept the tires), stock here means SELECTIVE MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL, which won't be stock for you unless you've got connections the the factory or a time machine. SMRC won't be available until late JUNE '02 when the first few '03 Anniversary Models (which are equipped with SMRC standard, '03 Coupe and) roll off the assembly line.

Why is SMRC a factor? Well, it adds grip by virtue of it's individual wheel control and body roll management, not to mention it's uncanny overall "the car is stuck to the pavement" thing that I've never felt in any car anywhere before. Now before you get the wrong idea, the Z tires would definitely improve grip on any car with lesser tires regardless of the suspension setup. But the combo with SMRC is an absolute winner. So much in fact that for two days afterward I kept thinking that I'd just have to trade in my '02 for an '03 w/SMRC and swap the tires and.... I think you get the picture.

Fantastic information..Thanks! but one thing I've got to ask.. I thought

the Stock width rims on the C5 were too narrow to properly seat the z06 sized tires..

Could these non runflat Goodyears be the same size as the stock C5 tires?

I did swap out the tires on my 99C5 with runflats to the same size in Michelin Pilot sports and the ride and handling difference was night and day..I mean huge to the point I would never had gone back to runflats..

Thats how strongly I felt about the difference in performance and handling..

Thanks again for your great report..please don't percieve these posts as argumentative at all. I'm just enjoying the advancement in technology..

I heard Ferrari is using a somewhat similiar suspension idea on its new F60 (400,000 dollar supercar coming). I don't know how either are being implemented but it would be just like GM to offer something similiar at a price we all could afford ..

I would imagine with the added expense to make it standard equipment..it must be good

I look foward to the new owners impressions who are trading in older Z51's etc...and to the magazine articles as well..

Should be interesting to see if this technology is as impressive as it sounds..

Ferrari has its version standard on many new models..

I would imagine they don't usually do it for comfort..but rather performance...Wonder what this system if made standard on the car would cost ? (manufacturers cost)

Here's another shot that should convince you. It's an extreme blowup of a shot of the pace car from the back. I used PhotoShop to enhance it so that you can easily see the tread pattern, a pattern that is unique to the asymmetrical Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tire that is stock on the Z06.

Notice the wheel. It's a stock wheel, not the Z06 wheel. Notice the sidewall overhang - it's a tiny bit more than what you would see if the wheel were wider, but not so much as to "balloon", which is what you'd see if the wheel were too narrow to properly support the tire.

Notice as well that I am writing this after a few laps in the above car at over 135mph, probably 140 on the straights, and 120 in the turns at Indy. Funny, I didn't notice any problems with this combo, in fact, I thought it was quite grippy.

Rules can occasionally be broken without dire consequences (gosh, did I hit 56 mph on the Turnpike?), and sometimes with desired results. Yeah, maybe you'll get some extra shoulder scrub and the tire may not last as long as it would on the Z06 rim, but, hey, gimme a break - what? 2500 less miles? Maybe?

I don't know specifically the details of what the right size is..on stock C5 rims..

I do believe Goodyear makes the C5 tires meaning non runflats in both zo6 sizes and stock sizes...

I wonder could the tires have been the stock sized non runflats..

Not a flame my friend..just a question on what I remember people talking about with regards to tire and rim sizes..

I doubt dire consequences are really an end result either way. ;)

Oh, heh, just a friendly chat. That's what we're here for. No flame taken.

Goodyear and Chevy cooperated on the tires for the C5. All "official" C5 tires are EMTs, except, of course for the Z06.

The only tire recommended by the Chevy guys are Goodyear EMTs in the staggered sizes for front and rear, 245/45x17 FRONT and 275/40x18 REAR. Ditto for the M+S mud and snows, which are also EMTs.

Goodyear makes the same size tires (as well as other sizes) in the NON EMT version, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS. They are much less expensive, about 1/2 the price of the EMTs.

Those who have switched to non-runflats have said that they handled slightly better and were much quieter. I have my doubts about the better handling, could be, but the reduction in noise would be a direct result of a "softer" more compliant sidewall.

I'm not crazy about the tire noise, but I'll take it in lieu of having to stop in the middle of the Lincoln tunnel because one of my non-EMTs has "equalized". Life is full of compromises.

ps where in NJ? I'm NJ born and raised.

Re: I would imagine with the added expense to make it standard equipment..it must be good

JBsC5 said:
Wonder what this system if made standard on the car would cost ? (manufacturers cost)

I would think the ability to use the very same parts on different platforms, Cadillac CTS, XLR and Chevrolet Corvette, with only programming changes would help to bring cost down

I agree..the 70 grand Cadillac XLR will give much greater technology at a much lower cost to the corvette..which I'm sure will be tweaked in the Corvette application towards stronger performance.

I think the expansion of the Corvette Chassis and plant to include the new caddy is a win win..just wish the new caddy was better looking..

I'm just not an arts and science type of buyer yet.....maybe thats a good thing..(I just would much rather if I was shopping that market segment) to have a MB SL500 AMG or even just the SL500..its amazing how well MB did the styling on that car..its even nicer on the road..they are all over the place around here..Simply beautiful..and then you look at the new caddy and say to yourself..WTF?

I sure do hope that XLR is not a Astek or Allante in the marketplace.

That would be a problem.

Maybe we need to see the XLR on the road or something..GM should really put it out in the first year..not the second with the 425 hp supercharged V8...even though it would eclipse the Corvette. To pull off that arts and science thing..and to be the car to be seen in...(and drive of course) they should launch right out of the box..that 425hp supercharged Northstar..

No question about it..but thats the continual mistake GM makes..they launch weak..thinking they will grab sales with upgrades each model year..

This market segment..this styling aboration really calls for top of the heap..performance right out of the box if its going to work..

Sorry for the long winded..off topic discussion...lmao

Either way..the corvette benefits from the technical and R & D cost by sharing with Caddy.

Thanks for the flick!

I felt like I was in the theater at the museum! Very informative, thank you for taking it. Now I want a new toy.
--Drew:w :bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom