Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

manual to an automatic?

K

klb76

Alright i have been searching the archives and I can't find any threads on anyone switching from the manual 4-speed to an automatic. I know how treasured a stick is in a corvette but it just doesn't suit me very well. So my question is kinda complicated. I have to tear out the rear of the car for a rebuild anyway, so I am thinking this would be a good time to convert the car from manual to automatic. Is this possible? has anyone ever done it? I would think so for faster shifting in the quarter!?! Would the 700 be the best replacement for my current tranny? Thanks for the help everyone

klb

KLB,

Hmmm, I think it would actually be easier to do this than the other way around.

Let's see, you will need.

1. A way to route the cooler lines to either an automatic style radiator, or a external radiator cooler
2. standard flexplate
3. Shifter assembly
4. Shifter console plate
5. neutral saftey switch wiring to shifter
6. custom cut welded, and mounted cross member (stick is welded in place from the factory, you will need to make it removable).
7. Mounts
8. Remove the clutch pedal, and replace the brake pedal with a wider auto style pedal
9. Correct yoke for the trans/drive shaft.
10. Adapt back up light switch

You could do a 700R4, and would need the electronic control box, as well as the items listed above. Since you have to cut the standard cross memeber anyway, there would be no sense buying the premade 700 swap kit (that is made to convert three speed auto cars to four speed autos and adapts the stock auto x member).

FYI: An electronic box for the trans would only be needed if you got a 4L60E. The 700r4 would only need a hot lead for the TCC Lock Up if you use lock up kit or 4th gear pressure switch. Or you can get a non lock up converter. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if this applies fot swapping manual to auto, BUT when I did my auto-to-manual swap I had to balance my engine for flywheel...?

Bow Tie overdrives would be the way i would go. they have shifters and crossmembers etc. . Of course there will be some slight mods. you will have to do yourself. If you decide to go that route let me know. I have had a 700r4 tranny in my 76. I still have the correct crossmember(from BTO) and a torque converter. I am wanting to go the opposite route of you. I crave a manual in mine.

Just thinkin about it somemore..... It would be quite simple(although nothing is) flywheel. tq converter, driveshaft, lines. As for the shifter there should be no problems(b&m has great auto shifters) and as for the console i have custom made one that looks pretty darn good. I have the driveshaft, converter and crossmember like i said earlier. I even have my burnt up 700r4(ahhhhh what too much torque can do) I would trade you strait my auto running gear for your manual any day.

Hey thanks for all the advice everyone! I figured I would only get a bunch of "your crazy! stick with the manual!" haha. 400hp_76 I am the member who was planning on going with the same style console as you made anyway. What is a 4L60E? and does anyone have a link to bow tie overdrives?

Ok I did some more reading, (thanks for the link) and I got a handle on the 4L60E and I have pretty much decided that the 700R4 is the way to go for sure. Does anyone know if the aux. cooler would be a problem because I use an electric fan that sits against the radiator? From what I understand it typically sits between the clutch fan and the radiator? 400HP_76 I don't know if it would be a great idea for me to trade my working m-21 for a burnt up 700R4 but possibly we could work out something with all the smaller parts... (pedals and stuff)

klb76 said:
Does anyone know if the aux. cooler would be a problem because I use an electric fan that sits against the radiator? From what I understand it typically sits between the clutch fan and the radiator?

Put it in front of the radiator. Next year when I have mine put in, I'm simply removing AC condenser and putting the tranny cooler in it's place...

that will work fine for me, I took the AC condensor out already because i wasn't using it. Thanks

surely someone has performed this swap before on CAC. When I have my rear end rebuilt what all should I have done different in preperation for the switch from manual to auto? Since I am already paying someone for the rebuild I might as well have them take car of neccesary yokes and such...

klb76 said:
surely someone has performed this swap before on CAC. When I have my rear end rebuilt what all should I have done different in preperation for the switch from manual to auto? Since I am already paying someone for the rebuild I might as well have them take car of neccesary yokes and such...

Check your Assembly Manual and see if there is a different part number for the auto vs. manual drive shaft. The rear difs are the same, no mods needed there at all.

Well.... i don't think it will be long until I fail out of college. It seems all I do everyday is either working on the car or looking for some cool stuff to do to it. If anyone is getting the wrong impression I am definitly not complaining. Here is my question tho, I have had numerous oppurtunitys to pick up a 700r4 but apparantly I don't understand enough about these things. How do I know the number spline spec. I need? I have seen 27-30 and I just don't know what I need. Also, I can't decide if I am going to go TPI or not, but if I do will I still use TV cables?

Thanks
klb

for questions regarding the 700r4...

If no one gets ya the answers you are looking for, try the guys at 700r4.com. From what I hear, they've been blwoing 700R4's out the door for tons of vette people around here. Judging simply by their website, they seem to happy to answer questions pertaining to the transmission...

thats a great idea I will definitly try that... I hate to ask questions when i'm not neccesarily wanting to buy thier transmission. However, I might change my mind on that one... I keep getting rave reviews on them... Thanks for the suggestion

klb

I was looking around on some transmission tech forums and read about the 2004R transmission, this is the first time I have even thought about anything other then the 700r4. Is there something wrong with the 2004R, it seems the gearing is very similar yet much less expensive. Is it just the 700r4 is in higher demand? It even seems the dimensions are better? Thanks Everyone

klb

klb,
Forget about using the 2004r trans. It won't hold up. Just curious..... who are you going to have rebuild the rear end? And the halfshafts? And the trailing arms?

Mike

really.... i have talked to you before... I would love to have you do it, (I think your the member that does it right) but the shipping from texas to PA seems like it might be insane.... when i have it rebuilt i think i might just trade it in for a new one... core charge ya know... I talked to a mechanic here... he said switch would be alot harder then it appears, says i will have to re-cut tunnel and everything!?!? I hate my RPO m-21... without an overdrive it is useless to me and my car is a driver... so the automatuc has numerous advantages... maybe a 6 speed would be easier?!?! hmmm... i wish i had an auto... (i might be the only one.... )

klb

If you want to SELL ALL THE MANUAL SPECIFIC PARTS..... I was thinking maybe of going to a six speed in about five years. So, the pedal assembly and misc. hardware would be great to have sitting n a box! But thats just a thought. I am spoiled with the 700R4, so I may never actually do it!

A 700R4 (which is what I have currently have) is rather easy to install. Shorten your drive shaft, install your new crossmember, hook up your lock up switch, install your cable and put in your new detent pattern. Oh, and install your new tranny and torque converter. Its great.

How does 3k rpm @ 100mph sound? Or 3,700rpm @ 100mph with a 3.73?

I have an extra auto gear selector if you need one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom