Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems...

bluecoupe said:
Nothing sounds nicer than the rumble of a harley with drag pipes or a muscle car with glasspacks echoing off in the distance. That's America. That's freedom...
:pat
Just for the sake of argument, since that's an actual freedom ;)
Your ability to excersize your freedom (loud exhaust or any other) is only acceptable to the point where it doesn't interfere with my freedom.

For the record though, I like loud exhaust too off in the distance. But I don't like it right next to me. More than ever this year, there seems to be an inordinate amount of a-holes out there that want to put their harley's or choppers in neutral and stick the throttle at 80% open right near (or IN) a crowd of people. What I wouldn't do to enjoy a nice big clothesline to them as they are riding off, feeling all proud of themselves... :mad

... makes me wanna run out to the garage and pull the glass packs out of my side pipes and run 'em wide open.... all the way to Mass!!! I find this topic sad.

If I read the statute correctly "...Sale or Installation of an exaust system which will amplify or increase the noise emmitted by the exhaust...", then straight pipes are the base line on which to judge the performance of the system. Any muffler system, including FlowMaster, etc. actually reduce the noise emitted by the exhaust, some to a greater degree than others.

GeorgeT said:
If I read the statute correctly "...Sale or Installation of an exaust system which will amplify or increase the noise emmitted by the exhaust...", then straight pipes are the base line on which to judge the performance of the system. Any muffler system, including FlowMaster, etc. actually reduce the noise emitted by the exhaust, some to a greater degree than others.
If only it worked that way... The baseline is not going to be a straight exhaust system, the baseline is going to be that of what came installed as an OEM system. Of course, if this language is not actually in the statute, it would be interesting to see the first case to go to court on the bases that the baseline is without exhaust. :L

Guess I'll jump in the water along with every one else.

Economics will win out over poor political judgement. Always does. SEMA, AMA, and the like, will certainly make their voice heard. As should we all, especially those in MA.

Perhaps I too am "too old"... but it seems to me the same mentality that promotes this kind of legislation is the same menatlity that says "loud pipes saves lives". Same circus, just a different tent. Shoot I've seen emergency vehicles, lights flashing, sirens blarring try to get through an intersection while on coming traffic seems oblivious to their presence. The "loud pipe" guys should just fess up... it's their way of saying look at me, look at me...please look at me! Same thing with the guys who have 45 speakers, 6 amps and 4 LCD TVs in their car. And for the "fart cars" - well what else can be said.

We each have our own agendas. Some include consideration for others, and some don't.

As for my Vette....it's loud. Too loud? Guess that depends on who you ask. Would I be concerned to fire it up at 4 in the morning. No. Would I slam the throttle when I drove away, absolutely not.

And I confess, there is some of that "look at me" involved.

It'll be interesting to see how this legislation goes. I just hope it goes away!!!

Rob said:
exhaust.jpg
I normally try and reserve the home page space for Corvette related news only, but this is indirectly related to Corvettes, and yet another piece of rotting manure, otherwise known as "legislation" making its way through the ranks. Can anyone explain to me why motorcycles like some Harley Davidsons are able to drive along side of me causing me to turn up the radio in my car, and yet, automotive aftermarket exhaust systems are close to getting squashed? --Rob

Massachusetts bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Continues to Move through Legislature.

Although we thought we had successfully stalled this bill in the Committee on Public Safety earlier this year, a bill (H.B.1722) to ban the Sale or Installation of "an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emmitted by the exhaust" continues to move through the Massachusetts Legislature. It remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation.

IT MAY BE COMING UP FOR VOTE VERY SHORTLY - PLEASE HELP!!!

After months of inactivity, H.B.1722 was recently sent back to trhe Massachusetts House Rules Committee. If recommended for this committee, the bill will be scheduled for a vote by the Massachusetts House of Representatives. It's PARAMOUNT that we act swiftly in force to finally defeat this Bill.

Please contact the Massachusetts Secretary of States office at 617-727-2828 to find your local legislators. Or via on-line
www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

House Bill 1722 arguments:

H.B.1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vechicles run more efficiently without increasing Emissions.

H.B.1722 does not supply Law inforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing to make subjective judgements on wheather or not a modified exhaust system is a Violation.

H.B.1722 Fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to Merge, Pass, Travel Up Hill, ETC.

H.B.1722 would make it difficult for Hobbyists to replace Factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts.
PA also has a similar bill in the legislature.

With both Kerry and Kennedy running the state I would strongly consider moving to a state with few if any restrictions on automobiles, like California. LOL

Larry's Yellow Rdstr said:
With both Kerry and Kennedy running the state
Gee, and I thought they were both U.S. Senators!

The California governator's new DMV appointee wants to install GPS-driven tracking devices in every car in CA for taxation by the mile. Great idea for less government and less tax from which side?

WhalePirot said:
The California governator's new DMV appointee wants to install GPS-driven tracking devices in every car in CA for taxation by the mile.
What's next transmitters in our fillings?
Maybe Dale Dribble is right?
bio_img_dale.gif

That sounds about right for Mass. I was stationed on the Cape for 3 years and darn glad to leave. One of the most extremist democrat run states I have ever seen.

slapshot said:
That sounds about right for Mass. I was stationed on the Cape for 3 years and darn glad to leave. One of the most extremist democrat run states I have ever seen.
Don't feel bad slapshot, just imagine being a minority republican living here..............:ugh! Not too much fun, but the town where I live, Geoege Bush won though he lost the state.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom