Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Michelin Pilot Sport ZP or Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP RFT

stuckatcuse

My dad is looking to replace his runflats with newer runflats....
He asked me this question... I thought I'd pass it on to you.

Which C5 runflat replacement tires do you prefer and why?:

Michelin Pilot Sport ZP
or
Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP RFT ???

I can't speak to the Firestones.

However, I bought Michelins for replacement. They are great tires. Very grippy and not too soft. They wear quite well. Only one thing I noticed...The center of the rear tires was wearing faster than the other parts of the tires. This normally indicates overinflation. I am pretty diligent about making sure my tires are inflated properly. My guess is that I probably needed to lower the rear pressure a bit to about 28psi or so from the normal 30psi to prevent this abnormal wear.

They are both good ;)

It seems that most people like the michelins for their all-weather performance. My dad lives in Florida, so I don't think he cares too much about cold weather/snow Does this sway anyone either way? I haven't found any posts regarding the firehawk rfts.

I can't speak to the Firestones.

However, I bought Michelins for replacement. They are great tires. Very grippy and not too soft. They wear quite well. Only one thing I noticed...The center of the rear tires was wearing faster than the other parts of the tires. This normally indicates overinflation. I am pretty diligent about making sure my tires are inflated properly. My guess is that I probably needed to lower the rear pressure a bit to about 28psi or so from the normal 30psi to prevent this abnormal wear.

I heard the Michelins are not as wide as the Goodyears,is this true? And have you considered going to non run flats?

I heard the Michelins are not as wide as the Goodyears,is this true? And have you considered going to non run flats?

It's for my father's C5. He want to retain the run flats because he doesn't want to get stranded or have to wait for AAA or repair it himself. I have no idea about the tire width. Honestly I just assumed they were all the same size.

I have the Firestone Firehawk tires on my car. I think its a good tire, I have had no problems with them.

And IIRC, the Firestones are the narrowest of the group.

I would have only one reservation about the Firestones. A couple of years ago, my wife's Jaguar needed tires. I had heard a lot of positive comments about the SZ50, so I considered it to be on the "short list". I shopped around, and the best price in her size tires came from one of the better known mail order tire retailers. It was on the Firestone SZ50, and they were "on special".

I asked the sales rep if they were specially priced because they were being discontinued. My wife's Jag is a limited use car, and I didn't want to buy a close-out, in case she caught some debris and ruined a tire, and then I couldn't get a replacement. "Oh, no sir" was the reply I got, so I bought 4 of them. A month later, after I had them on the car, I see they're discontinued...

Anyway, to get to my point, the SZ50 in the Corvette run-flat sizes are the only ones left in that entire line, as they replaced it with the "Wide Oval". Maybe my concern is overly cautious, maybe not....

And IIRC, the Firestones are the narrowest of the group.

I would have only one reservation about the Firestones. A couple of years ago, my wife's Jaguar needed tires. I had heard a lot of positive comments about the SZ50, so I considered it to be on the "short list". I shopped around, and the best price in her size tires came from one of the better known mail order tire retailers. It was on the Firestone SZ50, and they were "on special".

I asked the sales rep if they were specially priced because they were being discontinued. My wife's Jag is a limited use car, and I didn't want to buy a close-out, in case she caught some debris and ruined a tire, and then I couldn't get a replacement. "Oh, no sir" was the reply I got, so I bought 4 of them. A month later, after I had them on the car, I see they're discontinued...

Anyway, to get to my point, the SZ50 in the Corvette run-flat sizes are the only ones left in that entire line, as they replaced it with the "Wide Oval". Maybe my concern is overly cautious, maybe not....
thanks! that is exactly the sort of information we need!

Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZP's are on my wife's 03. Like them alot. They handle the rain wonderfully. Never considered Firestone's - too many bad vibes about the company for me.

Yes, the Michelin's are not as wide as the same size GY's but they grip is better, they are not as noisy and they ride better.

The SZ50 is the stickiest tire I could find. They almost keep Thunder's torque connected to the ground. When Tire Rack discontinued them I bought 4 two for the back end and two to save for later. These are the only Firestone tires that I have owned since 1966 and since they are discontinued it doesn't look like I will be a repeat customer.

I haven't driven on the Pilot Sport but most Michelin tires are a bit too hard for my taste.

Michelin A/S ZP

I replaced my 99's stock Goodyears with Michelin runflats 2 years ago... 5,500 miles ago.

They run somewhat quieter, roll over bumps without that jarring thud and feedback through the steering wheel that the Goodyears had.

Considering safety, convenience, street performance, I will stick with run flats. They're a great safety and convenience feature for a very small loss in capability.

Michelins were about the same price as the Goodyears at the TireRack.

99 6mm RED Coupe Ordered and purchased new. Traded the G.Y. Run Craps in at 39,000 miles for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Z/P. Now have 81,000 miles and they look very good as far as tread depth. They have proven to me that they are decidedly a much better overall tire than the Run Craps. Further, the Corvette Racers, C5R and C6r's are equipped with MICHELIN'S. Now remember the fiasco at Ford with "Firestones ". Nuf Sed ! I do not work for any tire company, am retired, but like to expound on a totally satisfactory product in all respects. Good Luck ! Thats my 2 cts. :upthumbs :) :w

I read up alot before I replaced the non runflats thta came with my car (previous owner), sorry but I dont remember what the specifics were but based on what I read I decided on the Michelin's.
Feel/perform great for me. Never used the Firestone's.

I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZPs on over two years ago, and now with more than 20k miles on them I am still extremely pleased. No abnormal wear and I will replace them with the same thing when needed. :beer

I replaced my 99's stock Goodyears with Michelin runflats 2 years ago... 5,500 miles ago.

They run somewhat quieter, roll over bumps without that jarring thud and feedback through the steering wheel that the Goodyears had.

Considering safety, convenience, street performance, I will stick with run flats. They're a great safety and convenience feature for a very small loss in capability.

Michelins were about the same price as the Goodyears at the TireRack.
My view is the same ,No problems with the Michelins. :)

I have the Firestone Firehawk tires on my car. I think its a good tire, I have had no problems with them.

This is what I run and like them pretty well. Run Flats are going to be noisier and the ride won't be as good as the non-run flats but I like the added insurance of at least getting to some civilalization and not be stranded along the highway somewhere in "the deliverence scene." I don't squeal like a pig real well ;LOL

Bill :w

I replaced my Goodyears yesterday with Michelin PS Z/P runflats. The car rides much better, and no bump steer.
I also replaced the tire pressure sensors, since one went bad over the winter.

I replaced my Goodyears yesterday with Michelin PS Z/P runflats. The car rides much better, and no bump steer.
I also replaced the tire pressure sensors, since one went bad over the winter.

If you don't mind me asking what did all of this cost ya? And can all tire shops R&R the tires from the rims without screwing them up? Or does it take a special type tire changer? Not ready for tires yet but one of these days.

Thanks,

Bill :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom