Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mini-Report on 67HEAVEN

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
Now that I have a bit over 200 miles on the car (since the complete rebuild), I'd like to share a few thoughts with you. Following the trip to Bowling Green (for CruiseFest 2005), I'll file a more complete report.

1. The brakes are fantastic. I upgraded to the new oil-ring calipers and all new rotors. And, I'm using the HawkBrake Ferro-Carbon Pads. So far, no evidence of fade, but admittedly I haven't put them to a severe test yet. I have noticed a small amount of brake squeak when applying at slow speeds, but nothing serious.

2. The aluminum radiator / twin fan setup, from Dewitts, is truly phenomenal. I'm not sure it would be possible to overheat this engine now, except maybe in Death Valley in the dog days of summer. This should have been available 30 years ago. :D

3. The suspension? Wow! For those who don't know, I switched to the Vette Brakes Performance Plus kit (front and rear), along with offset trailing arms, rear cross-member aluminum blocks, a heavy-duty rear cover, and a spreader bar up front. For performance driving, this is absolutely amazing. For example, there's an off-ramp close to home that takes a sudden hard right half way through. In my 2004 Z-71 Tahoe, I could manage 40mph through the corner and that's with the special suspension including gas shocks. High centre of gravity. :D My wife's Grand Prix GT could manage 45mph. The '67 can easily pull 60mph, not on the outside lane like the other two, but on the inside lane. It's like being on rails. :eek Where was this suspension a long time ago?

There are four settings for both front and rear for harder / softer ride on the suspension. I am running the second-most stiff ride and, believe me, you know it. On the smallest bumps, it's like riding a buckboard wagon. Once we return from CruiseFest, I'll begin experimenting with the different settings.

Oh, and did I mention how easy it is to dial the car up or down by several inches? :D

4. The ZZ-502. Oooooomph. It's torque city baby! There's just about all the giddy-up you could ever want, while still being reasonably streetable. We may play cam swap next winter though. ;)

5. Coolness factor? The car always got lots of attention in the "old days" but now it's like we landed from Mars when we roll by. If Z28Canuck sees this post, I'll let him tell you a bit more about what it's like to cruise through traffic on a Friday evening.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. Once the initial 500 miles are completed, some spirited driving will provide more insight.........then it's off to Bowling Green. :w

Wonderful! This is what the hobby is all about!!

-Mac

Mac,

I took the Mrs. for a 40 mile round trip ride, this afternoon, to get her re-acquainted with Heaven. :D

We went out on the freeway and came back on a two-lane. In both cases, there were ZERO vibrations of any kind. The new driveshaft.......zero; the rebuilt half-shafts.........zero; the new engine mounts........zero; the new transmission mount......zero; the new IRS front biscuit.......zero; the new rotors.....zero; the new wide Dunlop tires......zero. Did I mention there were no vibrations? :gap

I can take my hands off the wheel for well over half a mile and she tracks straight and true.

By the time we got back into town, her eyes were doing this :crazy I dropped in to the local Diary Queen to buy her some ice cream. Stupid me. I went through the Drive-Thru. ;LOL Shut it down to order. Shut it down to pick up the order.

C'mon Bowling Green. :w

D*MN, I'm so envious!
not only that you get to take your car out today (BEAUTIFUL weather here today!), but WHAT A CAR!!!!!!!!!!
Bob, I have to hand it to you, it looks like you really did build your very own heaven on earth.
Enjoy her lots and be safe in her. :)

I wish you wouldn't put these post up like this....I had to get up and get a towel to wipe the drool from my chin!!!! all I can say is NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thanks, but more items have come to mind. :D

6. The Richmond 5-speed. Man, what a beautiful piece of workmanship. Like many others have reported, it was an absolute bear to shift for the first 100 or so miles. But, now, the shifting has really smoothed out. It's just as smooth as shifting the old M-21 Muncie with the factory shifter, except....... :eek .......... Holy Crap, I've still got another gear in there. ;LOL

And, with the 3.08:1 rear gear, at approximately 75mph, the 502 is loafing along at 2,700 rpm. :eek I say approximately because I need to make a few more tests on speedo accuracy after all the changes to transmission, rear gears, and tire size.

7. The sound. With the Hooker slip-ins, there is a distinct growl from 1,800 to 2,500rpm. It's hard to describe, but think of it as a grizzly outside the cabin door, and he's very hungry. It's fun to slowly accelerate away from intersections and when I hit that sweet spot, heads in cars two and three vehicles ahead turn to look at what's coming. We haven't got the mounting holes drilled for the home-made slip-ins yet......but soon. ;)

I've noticed another phenomenon. Some cars with windows shut, open them as I pass (car people). Some cars with windows open, close them as I pass (anal people). ;LOL

67HEAVEN said:
Thanks, but more items have come to mind. :D

6. The Richmond 5-speed. Man, what a beautiful piece of workmanship. Like many others have reported, it was an absolute bear to shift for the first 100 or so miles. But, now, the shifting has really smoothed out. It's just as smooth as shifting the old M-21 Muncie with the factory shifter, except....... :eek .......... Holy Crap, I've still got another gear in there. ;LOL

And, with the 3.08:1 rear gear, at approximately 75mph, the 502 is loafing along at 2,700 rpm. :eek I say approximately because I need to make a few more tests on speedo accuracy after all the changes to transmission, rear gears, and tire size.

7. The sound. With the Hooker slip-ins, there is a distinct growl from 1,800 to 2,500rpm. It's hard to describe, but think of it as a grizzly outside the cabin door, and he's very hungry. It's fun to slowly accelerate away from intersections and when I hit that sweet spot, heads in cars two and three vehicles ahead turn to look at what's coming. We haven't got the mounting holes drilled for the home-made slip-ins yet......but soon. ;)

I've noticed another phenomenon. Some cars with windows shut, open them as I pass (car people). Some cars with windows open, close them as I pass (anal people). ;LOL

LOL.. i get that window thing all the time. Better get used to it Bob. Call it cheap entertainment. My girlfriend and I place bets on weather the window at the aproaching red light will go up or not.

Gee, who would have thought all that stuff would work so well together......and a coolness factor to boot.........I guess that's as good an example of heaven as we could find here........:L

Rich

Yeah This ..Zero...That.....Zero..And Don't forget the Dome Light ..Zero...
As well as the Lower Floor Vent ...Zero

Aaaaahhhhh...Zero.....;LOL

All joking a side....Congrats...it sounds like you got yourself a winner..!!!
Can't wait to fire mine..:upthumbs

Thanks for the update. It sounds like it runs like a dream. Wishing you good weather and happy cruising.:w

Great news Bob, keep driving it the first 500 miles take the longest after a rebuild. The weather is looking better everyday. Having seen Bobs car in the flesh, pictures do not do it justice.
did you set of any car alarms? ;LOL

67HEAVEN said:
5. Coolness factor? The car always got lots of attention in the "old days" but now it's like we landed from Mars when we roll by. If Z28Canuck sees this post, I'll let him tell you a bit more about what it's like to cruise through traffic on a Friday evening.

Overall, I couldn't be happier. Once the initial 500 miles are completed, some spirited driving will provide more insight.........then it's off to Bowling Green. :w

It's not often you'll catch me caught for words but to describe the cruise and give it full justice is impossible. Being in the passenger seat I got to see everyones expressions while Bob pulled back on the reigns to keep the beast in control. The sweet sounds of that growl as you cruise through town, the reactions of everyone, regardless of age, in awe, priceless!. I've never cruised in a car that brought reactions from practically every person we passed. Young guys rolled down their windows to just hear that sweet '67 sound and Bob would even give it a touch of the gas which sent these kids into a frenzy, they loved it (So did he!). Countless the number of smiles, thumbs up, waves, looks, positive comments, looks of envy and most of all appreciation from the older of us who really know and appreciate seeing such a memorable piece of our youthful history prowling the streets again and looking better than ever! We all go back in time when we see these fantasic cars, everyone wanted one but very few of us got to own one in our younger years that's for sure.

When we went down side streets kids playing basketball or roadhockey stopped dead in their tracks when we were still 5 or 6 houses away as soon as they heard it and yelled tons of compliments and gave a thumbs up, most probably didn't even know what kind of car it was but only that it looked and sounded awesome . Swwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttt! It sure does turn heads;) . You don't need to prove a thing in it, it speaks for itself! I'm one of the numbers at large who never owned a vette but always admired one when I saw it. The first time I saw Fuelie drive up at Hagens when Bob and I were there I stopped looking at the other cars on display and just stared, it was fantastic just to see it pulling in , the low profile, the colour, the sound, it is in a class of it's own. I was thrilled when Bob knew him and I could go up for a really close look and an extra bonus was that Fuelie was such an exceptionally polite and friendly gentleman. Since the CAC I've come to realize a lot of you are more than willing to show people your cars and we appreciate it, believe me!

Mac, the thrill for you turning the key will not compare to when you get a cruise in the '67. It literally prowls the streets and gets respect from everyone it passes. You feel the power and oddly don't have to prove a thing to anyone. The looks of appreciation from all viewers for a job well done Bob says it all, the car is all you invisioned and patiently stayed focused on to create is now completed. Now it's time for you to ENJOY, and enjoy your Heaven on earth you will!
Thanks again for the ride, can't wait for BG!!!!!!! :upthumbs :lou
Doug

(yelling to my wife in the other room) "Honey, I know what I want for xmas this year..........."

:beer

Bob,
Excellent job on your project. I'm glad you are getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor, so to speak.

Having worked on several major car projects in the past, there is nothing more satisfying than having done the work yourself and being pleased with the results.

Oftentimes, people find that their expectations and the finished product don't quite match up, but it sounds like both were met in your case.

Doug

Bob, Way to go. Got any sound bites for that bad girl? I know BG is only a month away but a little tease would lift the spirits. :beer

Billybeau1 said:
Got any sound bites for that bad girl? I know BG is only a month away but a little tease would lift the spirits. :beer

Here's a video I made up a while back....... CLICK

As for recent stuff, maybe I'll hold off for CruiseFest. We've gotta have some surprises, right? ;)

Speedo

67 Heaven -

A great tool I use for checking speedo accuracy is a GPS unit. I have one of those Garmin units I use for hunting.

Beautiful car. I have enjoyed every post on your slice of heaven. I look forward to seeing it in person. Congratulations on a fine work of art. :upthumbs

Rick

:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom