Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Misc ramblings

KANE

Corvette
Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
Well folks here it is-

This is just a few thoughts that I have milled around in my head.

ASSEMBLY MANUALS-
Who wrote these? Are these somone's best try after a really bad hang over or release from a drug treatment program? Who wrote these- there seems to be a lot of "free interpretation" of what any of the diagrams read. I read most of them for "fun" as that the humor is in how wrong the diagrams are. Mitchell systems are excluded though- I have found them to be the best. One day, I will just take pictures and do my own diagram of what things REALLY look like- like an actual photo matched up with the diagram on an interactive program. You open the file and click on the schematic and a series of windows appear with pictures linked to together.

PREVIOUS OWNERS-
Drama. Hidden "mistakes" from repairs done with wire nuts or cellephane tape are always such a joy to find thru discovery learning. Ever had a component start smoking all of the sudden only to find that someone 'fixed' the problem once before with rubber bands and dental floss? These are Corvettes- its not Junkyard Wars! How about those french fries that are under the seats and carpet or reciepts from 12 years ago? Has anyone found anything really scary like empty shell casings or a summons for a trial? How about money- like large bills?THAT WOULD BE NICE!

WIRING HARNESS-
I am tired of buss fuses and dried up old wires or connectors cracking upon contact with human fingers. New harness..... ok.... but aftermarket? Great. More Splice and dice. Crimp connectors start appearing magically like lucky charms marsh mellows. Factory replacements? More of the same re-hashed parts just a little newer. How about just using a later harness to integrate EFI to include all the components? Too costly and too much time. Factory connectors to integrate an aftermarket harness seems the way to go. Modular electronics, of sorts, with discreet component replacement. Like perhaps a painless harness that fits into the vette the way afactory one would. Again, I find that I have more time to come up wih "good ideas" that time to execute them.

SUSPENSION PARTS-
Costly. You put the name CORVETTE on the parts and the retailer add 20 percent. Thank god I have an interchange manual. Most parts are just made by a few select manufacturers and then fly-by-night-retailers get their fat cut. Lets all give up a round of applause for .com bandits. Actually, I really can't complain because most suppliers are decent. I have never had to re-engineer something in this area. Interior parts?- well thats another topic!

BODY PARTS-
Gee, questionable fit and finish? Ok- CarCrafting is for the bold. Replacement parts shouldn't require either insane levels of industrial engineering or just sheer bravery and a dremel. Cost again. I understand there are only a few suppliers... but after 20 years shouldn't the quality get better? The price goes up and the quality is on an inverse relationship, right? I have a penchant for creative nouns and verbs spoken softly in the confines of my garage with references to the engineers who wrote off on the ill-fitting parts that I have just rendered un-returnable due to opening the plastic wrap to inspect the item.

IMPORT 'RACERS'-
I use that term lightly.... the racer part. Has anyone thought that the big japanese script on a Mitsu may really say Mazda? Or that all of those gauges aren't necessary for a STOCK motor? Or what about those spoilers- does any one REALLY need to generate enough downforce for the entire IRL or CART series with one Honda Civic? Or who has had some wheezy import pull up next to them and the driver flash cash and point at the light? How come when we smoke those guys at the light they never pay up because "you cheated" or they turn off really quick? You can thank Chevy and Ford for killing rear wheel drive or making it UNAFFORDABLE and then supplanting these econo-boxes for REAL cars. I guess the upside is that these cars don't go very fast and therefore no one gets hurt (unless the tach on the steering wheel obstructs someones vision).

These are a few thoughts that I thought I would share. It seems like I am on a soap box or I have issues, but I really don't. I really find all of this funny. I hope that my dry (albeit DEHYDRATED) sense of humor hasn't been mistaken for seriousness. Now, I love my car..... because ITS MINE and I will drive it, repair it, wash it, curse it and continue to tinker with it until the keys are pulled from my cold dead hands.

I also really enjoy the interaction with all of the Vette people on this site!

Have a great day!

DarkShark78 stated like a true Shark Owner ;) :D

I have a suggestion:
Make a copy of your "Demands" hehehehehe and go out to the garage and read it to your "Shark" ... I wouldn't stand in front of her.. and be real careful the next time you have your hands anywhere near her engine ;).. I'm going to read this to Rare :D Esp.. special emphasis on "Now, I love my car..... because ITS MINE and I will drive it, repair it, wash it, curse it and continue to tinker with it until the keys are pulled from my cold dead hands".

ps. I like you sense of humor ;)

BudD
:bu :w

Thats hysterical rare81!!!

Suggestion noted.

Next rant- WHY ARE ALL SHARKS SEEMING POSSESED BY THE GHOSTS EITHER CRANKY, IRRITABLE FORMER SUPERMODELS OR WORSE!?!?!

Take care and have a great sunday!

What fun!...

...reading your post was! I chuckled quite a bit! I may have to direct Kenny to this thread to read, since he does most of the work on the 78.

btw, what is an exchange manual? I am assuming it is for interchanging parts between vehicles...(net necessarily vette specific, but without the higher markup that "Corvette" brings?)...and where do you find a manual like that?
Heidi

INTERCHANGE MANUAL -yeah, CHEVROLET INTERCHANGE MANUAL - that's for mostly engine components. But here are a few ideas-

1978-1982 center courtesey light: use a full size 70s truck lense available from the MOTORMITE help section at your parts store.

1969-1982 headlights: interchange with the replaceable H4 bulbs and new lense capsules

On a technical note, YES, you can substitute a painless brand (push in style fuse) harness in your car. Yes, the ends have to be spliced to match your stock connectors (but you can solder and heat shrink them like I did for a 100% factory look, good connection, and quality job.

You and I think alike. That is really kind of scary.

69myway-

Warpped minds think alike, huh!

My latest venture has been upgradng to -6AN fittings through out my fuel system. Factory fuel rails plus AN fittings. It looks pretty as well as being functional.

Oh, I took out my grinder and lobbed off the heater passage from my throttle body. Big aesthetic improvement. Story is that in Detroit that those things were added because the daytime humidity in the air caused the throttle blades to freeze to the body overnight. Well, I haven't had that problem. Ever. Hmmmm.

I also finally got around to plugging the 9th injector on the fuel rail as well as the runner. Amazing what a metric freeze plug and locktite can do . What's even more amazing is the heck I went through to find out that it was easier to weld-closed the factory 9th injector provision fitting than to find a new fitting!

Ahhhhh- the look of aeroquip hoses and fittings. I didn't have the patience for compression fittings. Besides, AN fittings seem to seal more secure especially when dealing with fuel. I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one and have gone overboard in the money department. I have also come to the conclusion that I should invest in a fire extinguisher..... you know, just in case!

I need to take some pics. For documentation's sake atleast. The funny thing is that I have owned the Vette for ten years. Every year I seem to make more money, and consequently the quality of the repairs seems to go up too. I guess my age, wisdom and finances are all catching up. FINALLY! (My fingers are STILL CROSSED THOUGH!)

DarkShark78 said:

How about those french fries that are under the seats and carpet or reciepts from 12 years ago? Has anyone found anything really scary like empty shell casings or a summons for a trial? How about money- like large bills?THAT WOULD BE NICE!

Have a great day!

Large sums of money in my car wouldn't be lucky enough!! My friend once found a bag of pot in his car :) (From Previous owner) But I did Find $2,000 dollars at our Campground that we bought last year!! But it got taken from me by my greedy parents because one of my former friends ratted me out man I was p!ssed!!! :r :r He Ain't no friend no more :L

OK, I think I may be able to top the list. I (not that long ago) had a 70 1/2 Z28-RS Camaro. It was really a nice car. Sure, the previous owner had swapped the original black stripes for red, but on the yellow it actually looked pretty good.

Wellllll, as these things go, I start working (read ripping things apart) to fix stuff. The first thing (being July in Texas) I decide to tackle is the A/C unit. Now, it has not yet struck me that the 70 Z28 had the LT1 engine and did not come with A/C, but the box on the firewall looks factory, as does the wiring and everything else.

I start taking things apart, and low-and-behold, behind the box on the firewall there are license plates gummed together with what looks like some form of plaster. I start pulling the license plates off and find that they are covering a hole that takes up 1/4 of the entire firewall. To top it all off, when I get the title back I find out that its a salvage.

All this and I have been building cars since I was 12!!!! I think it was buck fever.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom