Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Modifications

To what extent will you/do you modify your Shark?

• None (stock, #s matching)

Votes: 46 17.5%
  • Appearance (paint, wheels, etc.)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • Mild performance (add-ons, under 100 hp gain)

Votes: 68 25.9%
  • Average performance (high performance components: engine, tranny, etc.)

Votes: 84 31.9%
  • Nothing is stock

Votes: 43 16.3%

• Total voters
My '82 is currently box-stock, save for 3.73 gears.....
It is reliable, fuel-effecient, original....and boring as Hell!

The Cross-Fire seems intended for CHEvettes, not CORvettes, the 700R4 has the gear-splits too-wide for my liking, is weak and balky, and the converter locks-up at in-opportune times.

Currently tinkering on an '80 for drag-racing (am in no hurry), and when the '80 is finished, the '82 will get headers and true duals, aluminum heads, cam, intake, carb, and a THM350, lose the cruise-control, but retain the A/C:
with a drive-train more suited to 1972 than 1982, I'm shooting for 14-flat or better....

I'm not sure what category I fit in for your poll. I rebuilt my L81 as a 383, but it still appears to be completely stock (repainted blue, and the intake and cam are original). Other than that, I'm pretty much stock.

My goal with the car is to make it like the Corvette deisgners would have, if they didn't have to contend with all of the new regulations that were imposed on them. Just have to do modifications tastefully!

-gedmeyer

Its mine!

I feel that you should do whatever trips your trigger with your ride! Not saying I would butcher a quality survivor (which mine is not) or ruin a quality investment car (ditto) but I do like my car to be a little different. I also like to here it rumble, and feel the power, that was not there from the factory. I kinda think of it as making mine better, not restoring it.

Ron:v

Would like it to look stock on the outside (which it does), but engine/tranny, and suspension are getting the once over. ZZ4, Nitrous, built TH400 tranny, now am working on the suspension.

Cheers

Richard

Greetings Stallion!

Glad to see you around again.

My plan, and I am well into it, is to keep the outside and inside appearance of the car as stock. Everything else is fair game. I just figure I am doing what GM wanted to do in the 70's but was hampered by the energy crisis.

The only two changes I made to the interior was (1) a kick-butt Alpine receiver/mp3/xm/CD player and Infiniti speakers (all in the original holes), and (2) when I had the seats redone, I had them done in 100% leather (front, back and sides); I didn't like the original leather inserts with the vinyl sides and back.

Later... Brian

The only external mod I have planned for my 72 is a L-88 hood, and possibly a non original color paint job.

The engine will get low end torque cam, roller rockers and a Edelbrock EFI system in the future. While I would really prefer a maunal trans, the M40 auto is here to stay.

"Ultimately, beauty is in the eye of the owner"

Cheers

:beer

NJ BB Ken

I would like to keep the outside looking stock (sleeper), while upgrading everything else.

so far, my change list is
3.54 gears (just finishing up)
VBP strut rods
flex a lite fan
rpm air gap
road demon
headers and exaust

want list
steeroids
frame
ENGINE
6 speed

Well.... considering I may have the only code 24 81 built - you better believe THAT one is staying completely original. No bones. Also, the 68 is numbers matching for the most part and given it is an original A/C car makes it kinda special so I won't tinker with it much. My 68 Camaro convt is all original and will stay that way. HOWEVER, I have a few others that I will go BALLS TO THE WALL with custom trinkets and changes. Tis art..... yes? I do think so.;)

i had to vote nothing stock, the body (minus hood) and interior are though. i don't have a rare car, it was already altered when i got it and you can't have the time of your life with 210hp. if you have a rare car that is worth money, by all means protect your investment. but if not, why not push the image of Vettes being the number one sprots car to limits?? there has to be a reason why everyone judges the performance of their car with a story that ties it to a Vette. i like making that connection harder to reach!! Brian

My goal with the car is to make it like the Corvette deisgners would have, if they didn't have to contend with all of the new regulations that were imposed on them. Just have to do modifications tastefully!My sentiments exactly!

I agree a rare car should remain as an original, I own a 1976 L-48, some 46,000 built. It needs power and it is my job to see that it gets it.

With me, it's got to be "first things first". Since my wife also likes to drive the Imposter, I need to work on some cosmetics. This year I had the frame straightened and some brake work done. Next year, I need new seats and new T-Tops. Then (2006) I can start adding some ponies to it.

I am on a fairly limited budget. I am chomping to get a better air cleaner, some headers, and a cam.

On Sep 25, a bunch of locals are headed to a drag strip in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I am anxious to see what this will do "bone stock". It will give me a good baseline for any mods I do.

Repairs needed:

T-Tops
Seats
Interior carpet
A/C
Reverse lockout
Heater fan switch
Cruise control
Emergency Brake
Misc cosmetics
More HP

I should change my license to "YIWork"

pasvorto1 said:
On Sep 25, a bunch of locals are headed to a drag strip in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I am anxious to see what this will do "bone stock". It will give me a good baseline for any mods I do.
Please post your results:
I think it's great that some C3-owners run their cars at the track!!!!!
:upthumbs

It gotta look like a Vette and run better than a Viper. I was embarrassed once by a pony car but since my mods it will never happen again. 700R4 scheduled for winter project and when done we are really going to kick some big a** (pony butt). Burn rubber...........we are driving America"s original sports car. Rock on!!!

You would be hard pressed to find a single stock part on my car. The motor is a 8-71 blown bigblock, the trany a ford tremec, the rearend is close to stock. I run full coilovers, a stock car steering systemsd, custom brakes, wheels etc.
Certainly not stock.

Same here, about the only stock (unmodified) items on my car are the windows, the brake rotors and the headlight setup.

Twin turbo smallblock w/ 5 stage dry sump system
ZF 6 speed transmission
Custom flip front
Custom flares
Custom front & rear suspension w/ coil overs, custom control arms & home brewn rear suspension setup (in the works)
Wilwood 6 & 4 piston calipers
Custom cooling equipment (radiator, oil coolers...)
3 PC. Modular aluminium/magnesium wheels
10 pnt rollcage (not arrived yet)
Custom aluminium fuel tank (working on that one)
Working on a custom front end take off steering rack setup
Custom interior, no original parts. Will most likely build full alu dash w/ autometer gauges
Modified & reinforced frame
Rebuilt differential with polished internals (to withstand cracking but hoping on getting a C4 D44)
Custom exhaust, full stainless.

My hat is off to you guys!!! Especially you Twin Turbo for accomplishing that level of modification across the pond. God I would love to hear that beast whistle up to the red line!

At the latest car show I went to I happended on to a Vette that had a 427 with a 5 speed Tremec and with all the go fast and suspension goodies. Wow! Not being greedy, I would simply like to upgrade my rear suspension with more of a racing set up and I am really leaning toward putting in a smaller turbo. I already have some upgrades such as the cam, rockers, etc.

First things first, I need to fix some 'glass' and get her repainted so that she's not so embarrassed around the other 'gals'.

Hey stallion!!!:)
WAY kewl thread!!!!..
Mine is still stock "# matching" , however it was a "special order" with the leather interior and matching pinstripes, l-48 etc, If i was to change anything
MMMMmmm thats a tuffy.LOLOL!!!.:) ...Im pretty happy with it now to be honest..:)
but who knows what the future might hold, perhaps a 69/427/4speed/red /white convertable top/leather interior/ Sherry's dream car!!!!
Great to see ya posting again, [YA SLUG] LOLOL!!!
Sherry:)

76L82 said:
Especially you Twin Turbo for accomplishing that level of modification across the pond. God I would love to hear that beast whistle up to the red line!
Thanks for the compliment, I'm a long way from finished but you are right in that actually getting the parts can be quite an ordeal. I wouldn't have been able to pull it off without the help of a couple of guys in the US. Also, since the US parts available here are mostly stock parts DIY is required when doing almost everything. If I had lived in the US I'm oretty sure I could have pulled this off a lot faster and cheape too :) But.. I just got a new batch of trick parts yesterday so more modding can be done :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom