Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

motor noise -1979 -350 small block

krh

Corvette
2005 victory red vert
I have a 350 small block, we just put summitt heads, guilde plates, slightly overstock cam, new lifters,1.6 rockers, after it was finished the motor runs and starts great - no problems, but at crusing speed I get a chiming sound coming for the motor. At idle no noise. I can reve the motor and it makes the same chining sound. One mechanic told me it was air in the lifters? Another said it may be coil bind? What and I hearing? Any comments and repair tips. I do not want to drive
it if it may cause any damage to the motor, but it does not seem to affect preforamce, just the noise? The mechanic is on vacaation for a week. Please help

krh

Exhaust leak? Not enough air at idle to make the sound. I think air in the lifters would make a clicking sound.
Thats my guess
zachh

Did you check for coil bind when you installed the springs? What springs? cam? lift? lift with 1:6 rockers?

Good call Curtis!!!! I forgot about that one....I had to use thicker gaskets on my covers cause the rockers (1:6 Rollers) were tapping the cover.....

What about the timing chain and gears? Too tight? thats metal hittin metal, that could make a chime. Are you sure its coming from the lifter/ head area?
zachh

Zachh, thanks for the reply, I do not think that the noise is coming from the timing chain or gears. It sounds like it is coming from the fire wall down?
Could it be the alt,. I did the old trick listening through a stick and I rules out lifters and values. The noise is simular to a belt, but is coming from further back It is a 350 trans and the noise is sitting still in park and running. Everything has been rebuilt but the trans.
Thanks in advance
krh.

Maybe the starter bendix gear isn't completely disengaging the flywheel?
Or the inspection plate might be loose?
Could be the torque converter input shaft seal squeeling?
Maybe the front pump on the TH350?
Maybe a vaccuum leak somewhere around the brake booster?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom