Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

msd ignition

jm294

Corvette
I have a 1990 in wich the original L98 motor killed over and I replaced it with a zz4 motor. I am still using the TPI but with some upgrades. I was thinking of using a 6AL MSD ignition but I was told that with that years computer it would not work. If I put in a hypertech chip will the MSD work or do I have to change the whole ECU?

U don't really need it unless it is forced air or >7000 rpm.

I was going that way until I learned the above, then sold the MSD and had my chip programmed for rev limiting.

I've installed an MSD ignition on a few Pony cars in the Past ('87,'85,'66 Mustangs and a 1969 & 1967 Camaro ) I did notice a difference in each case. The 1969 had a retrofitted HEI distributor.

The cars started faster and had more TQ and HP at lower RPM's.

The newer GM HEI may be efficient enough that the MSD is not noticable.I've never tried it on an L98.

However, it did make a noticable difference especially on the forced induction cars.

One final note, I replaced the chip in a supercharged bonneville with a hypertech and was not impressed. The power comes from advancing the ignition timing and leaning out the fuel curve. Yeah, it's faster but the spark plugs showed signs of impending doom from pre-iginition.

I yanked it out and had the stock chip reset to handle the additional boost.

I don't know where you are with your new chip but I hear a lot of good stuff about this guy. You tell him everything about your car and he will customize you a chip. If you change something, you can send him the chip and he will reprogram it for free. I have a chip from him but have not installed it yet. It sucks not having a garage in Maryland.
Here is the website, check it out just for kicks, I'm sure you have your chip by now.
House_of_Hook_Home
Lee

I have ordered a hypertech chip but it is out of stock and they are waiting on it. Do you reccommend I use a different prom than hypertech or just not to upgrade the chip at all?

Hypertech is generic tune; not one matched to your combo.
Either save your money or get a custom tune
PCMforless has good reviews also.

FWIW
I ran the stock '89 tune with a ZZ4 and it ran fine.
Eventual datalogging allowed the tune to be perfected
but minimal adjustments made.

What He Said

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom