Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

MSD Ultimate HEI replacment Kit

L82Dan

Corvette
1979 L82 Coupe dark brown metallic
I have a question for my very first posting. I have a 1979 L-82 with about 28,500 mile on it. I am the original owner. I have never had a problem with the ignition system, but have read the ads for the MSD HEI Ultimate kit that replaces everything but the distributor itself. It looks interesting and was wondering if anyone knows if even half of what is stated is true? I have always replace the cap and rotor on a regular basis, to insure trouble free driving. In fact, I just did it this weekend along with a new set of plugs! Run great! So, if anyone has insite and/or experience with this particular product, I would appreciate any comments, good or bad about it. Thanks! Save the Wave!

L82Dan,
Welcome to the CORVETTEACTIONCENTER! I am a firm believer in MSD but for your car it would be a waste of money. It's almost impossible to do better than the stock HEI system you already have. Use AC Delco parts only and lube the advance weights and you won't have any problems.
Mike

Thanks to Mike (Stingray6974) for your comments. You kind of said what I was already thinking in the back of my mind. I always use AC Delco parts on all my GM cars! Nothing better.

Thanks again! Save the Wave!

"If it ain't broke...."

.....you know the rest... :D

Bob,
Same thing goes for your 77 also. Don't waste any money on hi-performance modules or coils. The stock AC Delco parts work best. All vettes 75 and newer use HEI distributors.
Mike

"If it ain't broke..." is right as far as ignition systems go. Mine was broke, in fact, I believe that it is the nature of points ignition systems to be broke. :) I upgraded to MSD's capacitive ignition (6AL, 8572 distributor) and after solving a problem with the tach drive, it runs great. Ignition upgrades will probably not give you more power or driveability if your current ignition is already doing the job. If your car runs good with the ignition that's on it now, save the money for other things. If you add a lot of power later on, especially in the form of radical cams and higher compression, keep the ignition upgrades in mind in case it doesn't run so good with all that stuff.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond and give their opinions. They were appreciated! I have owner my 79 for 23 years and it is complete stock and will stay that way as long as I own it! I knew that I would not gain any horsepower. I like my car as it is. It looks and runs just fine! Bloomington Gold Survivor and Silver Certified in 1999!

Thanks for your opinions! Have a great July 4th weekend and Save the Wave!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom