Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Muffler question.

1989 406

Corvette
1989 406
Po gave me a set of TriFlow mufflers with my car. He put on QuietFlows (looks to be by walker) because they were too loud for him. He was an older gentleman.

I feel like the QuietFlow may be a little too restrictive and I am considering putting on the TriFlows. I called a local shop and he said the sway bar has to be removed so it could be about a two hour job costing $200.00.

My question is, does anyone recommend this move or are the TriFlow mufflers no good? I had never heard of them until they came with the car. My first thing to do would be to research the best muffler for my set up but that is going to cost me more then I can spend now.

I spent pretty much everything I had to buy the car.

So I would appreciate some feedback on this. It is not a dd, I use it on the weekends.

Thanks.

Exhaust is ALWAYS a matter of opinion and preference. You like what you like. As far as the installation: sway bar removal is a matter of a couple of bolts, if it has to be done at all. Why don't you do it yourself? It's not hard - just takes time and a little perspiration.

TiFlors are made by B&B and are usually part of a cat-back exhaust. My guess is the guy who sold them to you simply cut them out of the B&B system he had and put the Walkers on. Man...what a power loss that will bring.

As for noise, B&B exhausts are typically very loud so, be prepared. As for performance, my guess is you'll gain a bit but perhaps not as much as you would if you installed a complete exhaust system.

I called a local shop and he said the sway bar has to be removed.
That's interesting. I have had my Flowmasters and rear Y-pipe off many times and never had to remove the sway bar except when I lubricate the polyurethane supports.. spare tire carrier, yes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom