Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Museum Update Q&A

Wendell

I promised several months back that we would come back and chat about the NCM and any aspect anyone may have. So lay it on me. Any questions I am most willing to attempt to answer concerning the NCM and any aspect of our operation.

Let me first say that we have just completed the most successful year ever for the NCM. We realize the 50th Anniversary was a major aspect of that with over 8,000 Corvettes in town.

We still have challenges and certainly debt and debt service is at the top of the list. We have two years remaining on our first mortgage (monthly payment of $80K and 10 years with the bonds (2nd mortgage) with a monthly payment of $31K.

We invite all the members to visit us sometime in 2004. I hope you will consider the NCM for your national gathering in 2005.

Let's chat!

Wendell Strode

Wendell,

When can I pick up the keys to the Last Commemorative Z06? I am going to win you know? ;) Might as well just hand 'em over!

KOPBET said:
Wendell,

When can I pick up the keys to the Last Commemorative Z06? I am going to win you know? ;) Might as well just hand 'em over!

Then you can pass them to me. :D

Sorry the Z06 is mine! I just know it is!! Missed out on the JD Powers car so this one just has to be the one!! But then so are the other two cars. Would be a great matched set in the garage :L

Wendell, you and the staff do an absolutely tremendous job in making the NCM a first-class place. My first time there was at the 50th Anniversary party (I was in the Caravan from the Pacific Northwest) and was simply amazed. Got a chance to meet Stephanie and Bobbie Jo as well as running into Vince P. who I knew from his days in Seattle with the Corvette Marque Club.

I'm our club's Ambassador and try to do my part to keep the Museum moving forward. Again GREAT JOB!! :beer

Wendell,

Thank you so much for this opportunity.

The Corvette Museum is our pride and joy. I've been there a few times and am a Lifetime Member (4025). You were able to keep my Charter Member number when I upgraded to Lifetime Member.

With the museum always struggling to make ends meet, why expand on the building. Wouldn't it be better to just pay off the notes in a few years and enjoy the relief that brings? I think it's such a great museum as it sits.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for your kind comments. You met three of our best. Vince had me out 2-3 times to Seattle for his clubs show------maybe we got to meet then.

Expanding the building will be done after the first mortgage loan is paid off and also after $6 million has been raised. We will not borrow money to build the addition.

It is a great Museum as it is and we are looking to do the addition in response to Corvette enthusiasts regularly asking and reminding us that we still do not have a permanent library/archives, that we can only do one seminar at a time during events, that we have no place to have a set-down dinner, that we have no place for special displays of cars or other things (like the dinosaurs we did in 1999----it made the payments for 3 months), that we have no dedicated area to the delivery program, that we have no permanent hall of fame. From our perspective here at the NCM it would keep operations much simpler if we kept the same structure, but remember this is a Corvette Museum and just like a lot of owners of Corvettes, there is always some enhancement that can be done.

I hadn't thought of those.

The Corvette Museum should strive to be the best it can just like the car itself.

(This is going to be a very busy thread)

I'm always looking at the webcams!

Thanks again Wendell,

Chuck

C4cruiser,

Oops------already screwed up. My comments to Chuck in the first paragraph should have been directed to you.

Thanks for serving as the Museum Ambassador. Looking forward to seeing you at the annual Ambassador meeting over Labor Day Weekend-----remember it will be our 10th Anniversary.

Yeah, with those pop-ups, I can have every cam going at once on the screen. Need all the help I can to get Corvette "fixes" while the cars are hibernating.

Excellent upgrade.

Chuck

Hi Wendell,
Glad to have you here on the CAC. I'm sure you'll be getting more questions.

Thanks so much for your building fund response. That's always a question that gets ask. I'm going to use your answer from now on. Besides I still need a job after I retire from the FAA - so the bigger the better. ;)

UB2 SLOW said:
Then you can pass them to me. :D
How about I just send you a picture instead? :D

commz06.jpg

Hey Tuna! Tell Susan hello. We sure thank the two of you for all the volunteering you do here at the NCM and also at shows out your way. We would welcome you all moving to Kentucky when you retire.

With regard to the addition, we are also planning a Corvette Cafe as we continue to get feedback from Corvette enthusiasts that they want a place to go eat a snack and it be inside. So that is also part of the addition----how good a cook are you?

Wendell said:
Hey Tuna! Tell Susan hello. We sure thank the two of you for all the volunteering you do here at the NCM and also at shows out your way. We would welcome you all moving to Kentucky when you retire.

With regard to the addition, we are also planning a Corvette Cafe as we continue to get feedback from Corvette enthusiasts that they want a place to go eat a snack and it be inside. So that is also part of the addition----how good a cook are you?

The cafe is a great idea.

I'm pretty good with omelet's and other breakfast stuff at a griddle and I do a wonderful stir-fry. Sign me up - just so long as I get to eat too!

Okay, a question for you: What is the long term direction for "America's Sports Car?" Are you interested in articles from readers? What type?

Take care,

America's Sports Car Question - we are most interested in articles written by our Members and welcome them. We have received help from several from time to time. Also, it is generally the Ambassador the writes the article on the club/chapter/registry that we feature from time.

Type of articles --- we are open. We want it to be something that will be appealing to a large part of our membership versus some technical aspect that would appeal to a very few. Bobbie Jo Lee and Debbie Mackay handle pretty every aspect of the magazine except printing and mailing it. If interested and you are okay with contacting them direct please do so at bobbiejo@corvettemuseum.com and debbie@corvettemuseum.com

Longer Term Direction - we would like to go to an electronic magazine and only do paper for special situations/publications. Vince/Glenn/Bobbie Jo are doing some research this year with a goal of having a specific recommendation for us when we do our 2005 Business Plans.

Chuck----------we would welcome your assistance in the kitchen. I like the comment about 'pressure' and perhaps I will join you.

It is truly amazing how the individual Corvette enthusiasts step up and do things to help the NCM. We never know who may be working along side with you.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom