Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Impressions: 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
So, my trip to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and the official unveiling of the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray has come to a close.

I am currently sitting in the bar/lounge at the Marriot Ren Center, most aptly named, "The Volt", reflecting back on my last few days here.

Words cannot describe...

I have to be somewhat brief here because I have a TON of information that needs to be built and added here - a lot of it including interviews with Corvette engineering that I need to transcribe. The 2014 Cadillac ELR was also officially unveiled today and I need to get that information up on our sister sites: Cadillac V-Net | Cadillac V Series Forum | Cadillac Forums | ATS-V | CTS-V | STS-V | XLR-V | Tech | Photos | Production and Cadillac XLR Net | Cadillac XLR Forum | XLR and XLR-V Registry | Cadillac | XLR | XLR-V | Forums | Tech | Photos | Production. What an awesome Cadillac!!!!

Back to the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray....WOW!

When I first saw spy photos of it and artist renderings plastered all over those other sites that pride themselves on thinking they have the first crack at exposing it...I had some serious reservations.

I loved the C4 generation. The C5 generation disappointed me. It was just too smoothed over for my taste. The C6 generation excited the hell out of me. I instantly fell in love with it, and thought they did such a great job with it...how the hell are they ever going to improve upon this with the C7. Well...in my opinion, they did it!

The more time I spent around the C7 the last few days, the more this generation of Corvette REALLY grew on me. I absolutely LOVE it. And I'm not here to blow smoke up anyone's asses. And no, I did not drink any GM koolaid. Some of you know me well enough to know that I tell it like I see it, and I will tell you all right now...pictures DO NOT do the C7 justice. You HAVE to see it in person. AND you need to see this Corvette in motion and in action.

I watched a short video today of the car on GM's test track that was on the wall in the Chevrolet display area at the NAIAS. To see the C7 sitting on a turntable is one thing....to see it in motion on a race track....even on a TV screen...is another.

This Corvette is absolutely wild, and in my opinion it is the ultimate kick in the ass, that the Corvette brand needs!!! Trust me: reserve your final judgement on the car until you get a chance to see it in person.

The interior: absolutely beautiful!!!!!! A few weeks ago I had to bring the headlight motor out of my 1990 Corvette ZR-1 to my local Chevrolet dealer because I was having issues replacing the gear inside the motor. While the mechanic was working on it, I walked around the showroom and had a chance to sit inside a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. I honestly couldn't figure out what all the bitching about Corvette interiors was for. In my opinion, I think automotive journalists were too harsh/critical of the C6 Corvette's interior since day one; especially given the price point of the car and the competition it was compared to.

If any automotive journalist bitches about the C7's interior - their credentials should be questioned. The quality of materials, design, integration, fit and finish are AWESOME! REAL carbon fiber trim...luxurious leather, awesome stitching and jet-fighter cockpit design are just some of the attributes that come to mind. When you get a chance to see a C7 in person: take a look at how the interior panels (such as door to dash) meet up and fit. AWESOME!

Yesterday afternoon, at approximately 5:15pm, when most of the people were clearing out of the COBO center, who do you think showed up at the C7 display? PORSCHE! They crawled all over the C7 from top to bottom...and I do mean bottom...as in, they were examining the underneath of it. They paid particular attention to the interior. So I must ask: "Porsche...are you jealous? Personally, I think your interiors suck and the ergonomics - God-awful." In a nutshell, Porsche interiors are boring, and extremely over-rated. Just my opinion...

The other thing that I found most interesting, is that everyone I spoke with that had anything to do with the development of the 2014 C7 Corvette, whether it was Engineering, Design, or Quality Control, all said the same thing: EVERYONE within GM/Chevrolet came together on this Corvette and worked together. It was a team effort. When it came to interior design and quality, it wasn't just one person that accepted kudos for a job well done, it was that person's team.

Today, during my final walk-through of the Chevrolet display, I stopped to take some last minute photos of the C7. Someone from GM saw me trying to photograph the interior through the driver's side door and graciously offered to open the door for me. He did however, warn me not to get in the car as nobody was allowed to get inside. "Noooooooo problem" I thought. If I get inside....you're going to have to use a crow-bar to pry me out of here....because the interior is just that awesome!

I love my 1990 ZR-1 Corvette. It has its inherent quirks. It doesn't even come close to the level of refinement the C6 and now, C7 generations have....but she's been with me since September of 1994 and to part with her in order to buy a new Corvette, would be like cutting off a limb. She still manages to put a smile on my face each every time I step on the gas pedal and those secondaries open up, regardless of having only 375hp. However, I would be truly honored to park a 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray right next to the ZR-1 in my garage. The C7 is a fitting tribute to all that has come before it in Corvette, and all that is to come! ;)

• Admin
I will also be putting together a much-more in-depth article on the 2014 C7 Corvette at a later date. The article will include more details, as well as transcriptions of my interviews with Corvette personnel at the NAIAS. So stay tuned! :thumb

I enjoyed this writeup and will be looking forward to your in-depth article!

B17Crew
:w

I LOVE the C7 too and look forward to the article!! :thumb

I personally feel that GM hit a home run!!!!!!!! I look forward to the day I can get one.

Awesome write up Rob. I want to keep my C4 LT1 Corvette. I love the fact that Porsche climb all over it. Keep in mind that Porsche (I believe not sure if its a fact) has a hard time keeping up with the Corvette in Le Mans.

Rob,

Great write-up. I am looking forward to your more in depth article. I agree with Front runner, I love
the look and styling of this Corvette. I think GM, and Chevrolet should be commended for thier bold
design choice, and for having the guts to bring an all new Corvette to market dispite knowing there
would be some whining about one aspect of the car or another.

In my opinion, this car is meant to appeal to a broader demographic which I believe will ultimately
help the Corvette survive for another 60 years.

Great job Rob, and GM. :thumb

Rob,

You should join the FBI ZR-1 bunch at The Gathering this May. We'll be in the University HI parking lot grilling Italian sausage.

• Admin
Rob,

You should join the FBI ZR-1 bunch at The Gathering this May. We'll be in the University HI parking lot grilling Italian sausage.
True! It's been way too long since I've heard a bunch of 4-cammers winding up and tearing up the pavement around Bowling Green! :thumb

True! It's been way too long since I've heard a bunch of 4-cammers winding up and tearing up the pavement around Bowling Green! :thumb

Not to distract for your great write up,(I think the C7 is awesome. If only it was DOHC) but we had about 23 ZRs in the parking lot with a variety of displacements from 350-441 and all manner of wheel/tire/brake combos. Great bunch of guys. BTW, we're also getting ready for 1/2mile airstrip racing here in Chicago in June.

Awesome styling of the C7 2014 Corvette!!!...

I absolutely love the new C7 Corvette!!!....a lot of people are bitching about the new rear end and tailights, but to be honest, it's a step in the right direction. The Corvette needs to evolve and the new tailights look absolutely awesome!..especially with the "running mascara" dripping down the side edge of the tailights. I think they look very aggressive!...also, the sides and front end are killer!...GM really hit a home run this time!!!:thumb
So, my trip to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit and the official unveiling of the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray has come to a close.

I am currently sitting in the bar/lounge at the Marriot Ren Center, most aptly named, "The Volt", reflecting back on my last few days here.

Words cannot describe...

I have to be somewhat brief here because I have a TON of information that needs to be built and added here - a lot of it including interviews with Corvette engineering that I need to transcribe. The 2014 Cadillac ELR was also officially unveiled today and I need to get that information up on our sister sites: Cadillac V-Net | Cadillac V Series Forum | Cadillac Forums | ATS-V | CTS-V | STS-V | XLR-V | Tech | Photos | Production and Cadillac XLR Net | Cadillac XLR Forum | XLR and XLR-V Registry | Cadillac | XLR | XLR-V | Forums | Tech | Photos | Production. What an awesome Cadillac!!!!

Back to the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray....WOW!

When I first saw spy photos of it and artist renderings plastered all over those other sites that pride themselves on thinking they have the first crack at exposing it...I had some serious reservations.

I loved the C4 generation. The C5 generation disappointed me. It was just too smoothed over for my taste. The C6 generation excited the hell out of me. I instantly fell in love with it, and thought they did such a great job with it...how the hell are they ever going to improve upon this with the C7. Well...in my opinion, they did it!

The more time I spent around the C7 the last few days, the more this generation of Corvette REALLY grew on me. I absolutely LOVE it. And I'm not here to blow smoke up anyone's asses. And no, I did not drink any GM koolaid. Some of you know me well enough to know that I tell it like I see it, and I will tell you all right now...pictures DO NOT do the C7 justice. You HAVE to see it in person. AND you need to see this Corvette in motion and in action.

I watched a short video today of the car on GM's test track that was on the wall in the Chevrolet display area at the NAIAS. To see the C7 sitting on a turntable is one thing....to see it in motion on a race track....even on a TV screen...is another.

This Corvette is absolutely wild, and in my opinion it is the ultimate kick in the ass, that the Corvette brand needs!!! Trust me: reserve your final judgement on the car until you get a chance to see it in person.

The interior: absolutely beautiful!!!!!! A few weeks ago I had to bring the headlight motor out of my 1990 Corvette ZR-1 to my local Chevrolet dealer because I was having issues replacing the gear inside the motor. While the mechanic was working on it, I walked around the showroom and had a chance to sit inside a 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. I honestly couldn't figure out what all the bitching about Corvette interiors was for. In my opinion, I think automotive journalists were too harsh/critical of the C6 Corvette's interior since day one; especially given the price point of the car and the competition it was compared to.

If any automotive journalist bitches about the C7's interior - their credentials should be questioned. The quality of materials, design, integration, fit and finish are AWESOME! REAL carbon fiber trim...luxurious leather, awesome stitching and jet-fighter cockpit design are just some of the attributes that come to mind. When you get a chance to see a C7 in person: take a look at how the interior panels (such as door to dash) meet up and fit. AWESOME!

Yesterday afternoon, at approximately 5:15pm, when most of the people were clearing out of the COBO center, who do you think showed up at the C7 display? PORSCHE! They crawled all over the C7 from top to bottom...and I do mean bottom...as in, they were examining the underneath of it. They paid particular attention to the interior. So I must ask: "Porsche...are you jealous? Personally, I think your interiors suck and the ergonomics - God-awful." In a nutshell, Porsche interiors are boring, and extremely over-rated. Just my opinion...

The other thing that I found most interesting, is that everyone I spoke with that had anything to do with the development of the 2014 C7 Corvette, whether it was Engineering, Design, or Quality Control, all said the same thing: EVERYONE within GM/Chevrolet came together on this Corvette and worked together. It was a team effort. When it came to interior design and quality, it wasn't just one person that accepted kudos for a job well done, it was that person's team.

Today, during my final walk-through of the Chevrolet display, I stopped to take some last minute photos of the C7. Someone from GM saw me trying to photograph the interior through the driver's side door and graciously offered to open the door for me. He did however, warn me not to get in the car as nobody was allowed to get inside. "Noooooooo problem" I thought. If I get inside....you're going to have to use a crow-bar to pry me out of here....because the interior is just that awesome!

I love my 1990 ZR-1 Corvette. It has its inherent quirks. It doesn't even come close to the level of refinement the C6 and now, C7 generations have....but she's been with me since September of 1994 and to part with her in order to buy a new Corvette, would be like cutting off a limb. She still manages to put a smile on my face each every time I step on the gas pedal and those secondaries open up, regardless of having only 375hp. However, I would be truly honored to park a 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray right next to the ZR-1 in my garage. The C7 is a fitting tribute to all that has come before it in Corvette, and all that is to come! ;)

Last edited:
Trading up my Corvette

I LOVE the C7 too and look forward to the article!! :thumb

I personally feel that GM hit a home run!!!!!!!! I look forward to the day I can get one.
I have just purchased a 2007 Corvette Coupe and at 71 yrs. old this might be the last Corvette I will own
I wish I could have done this at a earlier age but back then money was tight and too many bills to pay but now in my twilight years I have the ability to get this car and will enjoy it for whatever years I have left.:beer

I have just purchased a 2007 Corvette Coupe and at 71 yrs. old this might be the last Corvette I will own
I wish I could have done this at a earlier age but back then money was tight and too many bills to pay but now in my twilight years I have the ability to get this car and will enjoy it for whatever years I have left.:beer

Lou,

You've got at least to the C10 to go. Cheers and enjoy!

I may be in the same boat as others, or at least those of which I've spoken to about the C7. Initial impression was disappointed with the rear of the car. I didn't like it at all. The rest of the car wasn't enough to distract me from it. Until a coworker shared a picture of the C7 in silver. I later found these to be the same pictures that Rob took of the silver C7. I must say, the car is really growing on me. I think the Red was over the top for some, especially with the wheel GM chose.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. There are feelings associated with every generation change, positive or negative. This is only normal as we are such a passionate bunch!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom