Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My Vette is possessed...

pasvorto

Randomly, I will go into the garage and hear a strange noise. It is coming from the interior of my 78. It is a warning buzzer of some sort. However, the keys are out of the car! No, it is not on ACC. If I start the car and then shut it off, the sound goes off. It may or may not come back on at a later time.

I don't want it to kill the battery so I went on a hunt for a battery quick connect switch. I went to every car parts place in town (5 of them). Not one had a quick connect for a side post battery. So, I just disconnected the battery the old way.

Has anyone experienced this 'phantom' noise? Any ideas?

When the buzzer comes on by itself does it sound weak, not sounding like a full audio signal?
Look at the fuse block there might be a black box plugged into it on the right side about 3”x 3” and see if the noise is coming from there. This buzzer serves as mutual warning signals such as key in ignition, headlight on warning audio L/H seatbelt switch and L/H door pin switch. There should be a gray wire with a green connector coming from that box and plugged into the LPS socket of the fuse panel. These units are transistorized and do fail over time. I have heard that Willcox does have a replacement but I think you have to call or e-mail them as the unit doesn’t show up on there website. If you unplug the gray wire from the unit that is going to the LPS plug in the fuse block the power to warning buzzer is now disconnected.
1977 and 1978 Corvettes used this same buzzer.
Brian

Is having a possessed Corvette better than having a re-possessed Corvette?
Sorry!!! That's what I thought when I read the post.
Regards,
Alan

I found the warning buzzer and disconnected it. I also bought a quick disconnect from Ecklers. That should resolve that problem. Thanks for the help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom