Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

My ZR1 Got Stolen!

Ultraworld

Corvette
'10 ZR1, '05 GTO W/7.5L LSX
I was pumping gas on Monday. Left my keys in the car, my wife went inside to get a drink. While I was pumping gas, an 18 yr old jumped in & took off. I almost passed out. I called On Star & they tracked & disabled the car & told the cops where it was. The kid got 9 miles away & never went over 60 mph. I got my car back un scathed. I wanted to kiss the cops. I will keep on star on my car from now on.

Wow, that's bold. Guess next time he'll think twice before steeling a car that can be disabled with a phone call.

Look, I couldn't help myself. I really needed to feel the difference between a ZO and ZR :boogie

Glad I can joke about your misfortune since you got car back without a scratch. That's an amazing story!

You left your keys in the car..??????????????????then its your fault it got stolen,Here in Austraila you get a fine for doing that

Value Lesson Or Revenue Raiser?

You left your keys in the car..??????????????????then its your fault it got stolen,Here in Austraila you get fine for doing that

Derek, do they fine you first and then help to locate your vehicle? Or just fine you and then you're on your own?
Remo:cool

You can get fined if a police officer see`s the keys in the ignition,while your not in the car,ie pumping gas,running into a shop...plus you may not get insurance cover for leaving the keys in :ugh

You left your keys in the car..??????????????????then its your fault it got stolen,Here in Austraila you get a fine for doing that

So the '10 has a key, my '05 don't. Did they start using a key again, I don't think so.:upthumbs

think he was referring to the key fob - probably had it in the console or something

think he was referring to the key fob - probably had it in the console or something

I know what he was referring to but there are replies here that don't know a key can not be left in the ignition. It does not require a key to start it and drive off. In fact if the person with the fob is within 4 or 5 foot of the C6 it can be started and driven away by anyone. I've done it with the fob in my house, about 10 foot away at most.

There is more to this story, like how many 18 year olds know it can be started without a key or control of the fob? Was the fob in plain sight? Maybe on the dash? Plus if he was pumping gas the kid had to almost push him out of the way to jump in and drive away??? Something is not right about the few details we got about this theft.

Hmmm

Key / fob whatever thats not the issue of discussion,point is he left the car unsecure;squint:

Let's see.....the man inadvertently left the key/fob in the car and that makes him the bad guy. So it follows the he's the reason that poor 18 year old stole the car. Am I getting this right?

Key / fob whatever thats not the issue of discussion,point is he left the car unsecure;squint:

How is it unsecured if he's standing there pumping gas? Please read his first statement. The fuel fill point is where the 18 year old had to almost bump into him to get in, and what did he do with the fuel hose? Pull it out and put the cap back on for the thief? To see what I mean try to get into a C6 while someone is in the fueling position. Many times, being right handed, I stand in front of the door as I pump. Now if he was not pumping fuel all bets are off and his story is not accurate.

There is still more to this story. :thumb

Let's see.....the man inadvertently left the key/fob in the car and that makes him the bad guy. So it follows the he's the reason that poor 18 year old stole the car. Am I getting this right?

Pretty much, but I'm still getting my mind around stealing a car while it's being refueled. ;squint:

Pretty much, but I'm still getting my mind around stealing a car while it's being refueled. ;squint:
Does seem kinda strange, don't it? Did they move the fuel tank filler door on the C6?

keys?

Friend of mine left the key in while pumping gas back when cars still had keys.... It was on the way to the wedding reception, car had full paint and tin cans dragging behind/new wife was in the toilet.

Cops laughed their asses off, car was found stripped a few days later, insurance DID not pay off, marriage lasted less than 2 years.

Tommy & Kat were hours late to their reception, bags packed for Honeymoon in the Florida Keys were in the car and the car was a new Firebird that was a wedding present from Kat's dad.(he never liked Tommy anyway)

(Tommy claims that he would not have stopped for gas if new wife did not need to pee.)

Looks of the car he was probably hoping someone would steal it. All I recall of the story.

I once had a Peugeot 505 that I left the keys in hopes of theft. One day I deceided that the keys could not bee seen in the ignition so I put them on the dash with the windows open...

...when I returned to the car there were 3 more sets of Peugeot keys next to mine on the dash.;););)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom