Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery alternator wire

G

GW74

My 74 coupe has a red wire that has been cut at the alternator. There are basically three connections on the alternator, a ground wire ( just a lug bolted to the back ), a heavy gauge red wire ( also on the back ) with a rubber boot over it and lastly a plastic plugin connector with two wires ( the cut red one and a brown ? one ) that clips into the outside rear edge. My suspicion is that this wire may be for the factory installed burglar alarm as that's the only thing on the car that doesn't work.
I have checked several schematics and I just can't seem to find this one.
I thought about reconnecting it but just thinking about it brought that familiar smell of melting plastic and smoke.
Anyone familiar with this ?

Vince

I know the two wire connector tan/red has nothing to do with the alarm fuctioning I think the brown goes to the voltage gauge and the red energizes the voltage regulator but not really sure

I'm pretty sure that it is not connected to the alarm system. I'll look in my shop manual tonight and let you know tomorrow. (unless someone else beats me to the answer!)
:)

vnrod

did you convert yours by using a upper convertible deck, or did you replace the whole rear clip like I did ?

I bought mine already converted. It was the owner before the owner I bought it from that performed the operation. I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like (from the underside) that the rear clip was cut and a new decklid installed. They did a very good job.
I just purchased a used hardtop and placed it ontop of the car for now. The vette is only a fun/project car, and chances are, I'll never drive it with a roof on any type on it.

I looked at the alternator wiring diagram. It appears that the red wire (right next to the brown one) eventually ties in to the same red wire on the alternator housing. (The one with the rubber boot on it.) If I were you, I would look at the nearby wiring harness very closely, you may find the other end to the severed red wire.

Thanks for the help Guys.
I just can't figure out why someone snipped it. How to reconnect them is not the issue. It would be an easy fix. I'm just afraid that someone had a good reason for cutting it in the first place.
The alternator gauge works. By that I mean it moves in the direction you would expect it to. It is not that sensitive ( I had a Mustang years ago that had a gauge that would actually move when the turn signals were on ) and is usually dead center but I figured that was a good thing.

At any rate, if you experience any alternator problems, then hook up that wire. I'm sure it's there for a reason. But hey! If it works like it is....
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

GW

on my trans am with that kind of a setup the red wire goes right back to the battery terminal on back of alternator

don't know if thats how yours could have been

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom