Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Mystery brake problem

NVvetgirl

Corvette
75 Stringray
My project car a 75 has been sitting in the garage most of the year. I'm now getting ready to do some work on it and when I pulled it out of the garage the brake pedal went to the floor. I can't pump it up and it still goes all the way to the floor. I check the brake fluid, there is plenty. No leaks of any kind under the car or anywhere I can see. Anyone have any ideas what happened to the brakes?

After bleeding my brakes a gazillion times the problem turned out to be the Master Cylinder. I had the same symptoms.

My project car a 75 has been sitting in the garage most of the year. I'm now getting ready to do some work on it and when I pulled it out of the garage the brake pedal went to the floor. I can't pump it up and it still goes all the way to the floor. I check the brake fluid, there is plenty. No leaks of any kind under the car or anywhere I can see. Anyone have any ideas what happened to the brakes?

Maybe the master cylinder. Maybe not.

Three other things.

Air or moisture in the system. Bleed the brakes.

Or the check valve in the front of the master cyclinder (should be one way only)is gone. Pull it out and see if you can blow through the inlet side but not the opposite side.

Or the hose going to the block has disconnected or is leaking.

Jim

Or the check valve in the front of the master cyclinder (should be one way only)is gone. Pull it out and see if you can blow through the inlet side but not the opposite side.

There are no check valves (actually residual pressure valves) in a Corvette disc brake master cylinder; they're only used with drum brakes. :)

My money is on it being the master cylinder. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (I think that's the word) meaning that it absorbs water from the air. Water in the fluid leads to rust. Rust in the master cylinder (and elsewhere) leads to scored bores and damaged seals.

This is why brake fluid should be replaced every few years. I speak from experience; when I bought my 73 the brake fluid was a nasty chocolate brown color and my first job was to replace the cylinder.

BTW - I know they can be rebuilt but frankly I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

J

There are no check valves (actually residual pressure valves) in a Corvette disc brake master cylinder; they're only used with drum brakes. :)

Maybe we are talking about two different things. I have an 1982 and I have 4 wheel disc brakes (did they make vettes with drums?). The hose that goes from the intake to the master cylinder attaches to a plastic male pieces at the front of the master cylinder. This male piece is removable. Vaccum goes one way through it.

See booster check valve below

BoosterCheckValve.jpg
[/IMG]

Jim

Yup, that's the check valve for vacuum to the power brake booster; not related to the master cylinder.

:beer

No pressure and no leaks means you ruptered the O-rings in the master cylinder.
I have replaced several for the same symptoms on several cars.
Some just rot the O-ring until it cracks, and some rust the cylinder and shave the O-ring until it passes fluid by it. Just get a new one and bench bleed it before you put it in, and it will be good as new!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom